December 20th, 2013

avast! 2014 brings a familiar voice to British users

Patricia

Patricia Rykiel, new voice of avast! Antivirus UK

The latest version of avast! Antivirus, avast! 2014 introduced many new features to our customers, but one feature we hope will please our United Kingdom users the most is the new voice they will hear reporting to them that their computer is safe. The voice they will be hearing will be that of Patricia Rykiel, voice of The London Minute which airs across North America on the Computer America show.

Here at AVAST we are always striving to make our product as user friendly and pleasant as possible, which is why we decided to ask Patricia to be the voice of avast! 2014. Her smooth, soothing and clear voice together with her knowledge and position in the computer world is the perfect fit for the voice of AVAST in the UK, to help our UK users feel more “at home” and secure by hearing a familiar accent telling them that their “Virus data base has been updated.”

Patricia is the creator and voice of “The London Minute,” a weekly audio column that airs on the US-syndicated radio show “Computer America,” as well as on the podcast “I Confess I’m a Geek,” a UK-based technology show. In addition to this, she helps people in West Sussex, England love their computer (which happens to be the name of her website!), by teaching them how to get the most out of their computer experience based on their interests and needs.

Change the voice of avast! Antivirus

For the international community of AVAST users, you can enjoy the voice of Patricia by manually changing the language to “English (United Kingdom)” by opening the AVAST user interface, and going into Appearance/Language settings, or if your regional settings are set to the UK, you will automatically hear Patricia. If you don’t see it in the listings, you will need to do a manual software update first. Right click on the avast! icon in your system tray (bottom right), then click Update and choose Program. You can also try out fun voices like the always popular “Pirate,” or just in time for the holidays get a little ho-ho-ho in your notifications with the “Santa” voice, by visiting the avast! Voices tab on Facebook.

To hear Patricia in the UK as you protect your computer, download AVAST 2014 here!

~written by Stefanie Smith

Thank you for using avast! Antivirus and recommending us to your friends and family. For all the latest news, fun and contest information, please follow us on FacebookTwitter and Google+. Business owners – check out our business products.

1. AeroMcDoom
    December 20th, 2013 at 22:40 | #1

To be honest, I prefer the old one as that voice sounds very bored.

Also shouldn’t it be ‘Avast! Virus database has been updated”, not “Avast! Virus database, updated”.

1) The voice sounds bored and dull
    2) She misses out “has been”
    3) I like the american accent, I’m British so I love it :3

If this changes for me, I will put Avast! into silent mode (gaming mode)

Anyways, thanks for reading this far! :P

• December 20th, 2013 at 22:43 | #2

Thanks for your feedback. It’s OK if the new voice isn’t your “cup of tea.” You can always choose which voice you like the best, including different languages and themes. And as you mentioned, we even have the silent gaming mode for those who don’t want to be interrupted.

2. Carolyn
    December 20th, 2013 at 23:52 | #3

I love the new British voice which is chirpy and bright and is a welcome refreshing change – brilliant and thank you Avast.

I am also British and think this voice is a welcome addition.
    Well done Avast and well done Patricia.

3. Tonto
    December 22nd, 2013 at 19:01 | #4

I just heard the new UK voice in my avast. I think it is a welcome change. The American voice was fine but an articulate English accent is a delight for me to hear. I just listened to a few of her London Minutes on her website. The more I hear the more I like. On my computer it does say the database “has been” updated. The audio in this blog is different to what is in the program. Nice job avast.

4. ztech123
    December 22nd, 2013 at 21:52 | #5

Carolyn and Tonto must be Seniors.
    Patricia Rykiel sounds boring and old.

The previous American voice sounds young and energetic and sounds the best. If I hadn’t found a way of changing the voice back to the American voice, I would have uninstalled Avast!

5. gregstanton
    December 23rd, 2013 at 00:10 | #6

I must say that i find Ms. Rykiel not only quite pleasant on the ears, but a reassuring presence as well; and most certainly not in an “old fogyish” way! greg stanton

6. December 23rd, 2013 at 12:50 | #7

Hello. Thanks for the feedback. The compliments are appreciated, along with the pointers for improvement. Best wishes, Patricia @ComputerTweety

7. justinlee
    December 30th, 2013 at 14:26 | #8

I am from London, and I find this voice really irritating. This is not how the majority of us speak. What’s with the, ‘AVARST’ pronunciation? It is ‘AVAST’. Don’t make it sound posh just because it’s an English accent. I have changed it back to the American one.

8. Derrick229
    January 1st, 2014 at 21:19 | #9

I dont mind which voice I hear, as long as I get to know everyything has been updated and is working fine
    I have Ozzy Osbourne on my GPS, but somehow I cant see him appearing on Avast
    I do think that a few custo voices could be made availble (like they are on a Garmin GPS, at a small charge)
    But thanks for keeping all my devices safe (including my MAC (which I thought never got bugs or viruses)

9. January 2nd, 2014 at 02:04 | #10

We have some interesting voices to choose from (at no charge ;) ) – 13 different languages and a variety of themes such as Pirate, Redneck, or Aussie. Visit the sounds tab on our Facebook page to check them out.

10. January 2nd, 2014 at 23:28 | #11

Prompted to find out who the voice belonged to because it sounded so much like Jaime Murray, (imdb.com/name/nm1444665/ H.G. Wells in Warehouse 13) :)

11. sidneejmas
    January 3rd, 2014 at 03:00 | #12

omg This voice is horrible I loved the american voice… had to change it back

12. englishangel
    January 14th, 2014 at 21:38 | #13

I am from Sussex, and from her photo I am considerably older than Patricia, and I think she sounds like my grandmother. Liven up woman. Wasn’t keen on the US one either (South Philly?)

13. pgtips
    January 17th, 2014 at 15:04 | #15

I’m English, but I don’t like hearing the new voice at all (although I’m sure in other contexts – reading an audiobook for instance – I might really like Patricia Rykiel’s voice).

I agree about the ‘avARSt’ sounding distinctly odd, but mainly the issue is that I now feel rather like I’m hearing a bored call centre worker or automated phone voice saying ‘press 1 for sales, 2 for billing and 3 for technical support’, rather than a communication from a computer program.

After all I do know it’s a computer-generated message, and actually I’d quite like to carry on thinking of it as that, and that for me goes much better with an American accent (think HAL!). Impersonal and slightly foreign is perfect in this context.

I may try pirates next, but for now I’ve gone back to the American voice. (Even my family, who never stopped complaining about ‘that annoying virus update message’ before, said they wished it would go back to the American one when it changed!)