Remember when you used to make sure you were home at a certain time so you wouldn’t miss your favorite TV show? That was called “appointment television”, and those of you old enough to remember watching The X-Files or Friends when they originally aired know what I’m talking about. But, with the new USA Network show, Mr. Robot, it feels like those days are back again. Sure, I have my DVR set to record, but I will definitely watch it live. Since all my buddies are watching too, I will be itching to talk about it the next day.
Avast’s new Hack Chat video series brings back that around-the-watercooler discussion. Watch our debut episode here (10:13).
Avast Hack Chat: Episode 1 “Hello Friend” Program Notes
In episode 1 of Avast Hack Chat, host Ariana welcomes special guest, security researcher and software developer, Pedram Amini.
We love our fans and followers on Twitter because they frequently alert us to great resources. It happened today when we received a tweet from @LoveNerds4Ever letting us know that Avast Antivirus was mentioned on a Sacramento (California) News10 video segment. Thanks, Shawna!
— Shawna M. Bell (@LoveNerds4Ever) May 14, 2015
The guest on this video segment is Ryan Eldridge, co-founder of Nerds on Call, a computer repair Business in Sacramento. He spoke to reporter Keba Arnold about technology mistakes that people typically make. These simple, but oh, so important points, are ones that we continually try to make, and Ryan puts it all together in one good video.
The security recommendations that Ryan makes:
- Run updates on your computer and mobile phone. Program updates and security patches are very important to keep your device up to date and running optimally.
- Download apps and programs from places you know and trust. On your mobile phone this would be the Google Play Store or Amazon App Store. For your computer, he says it’s a little bit harder, but suggest that you visit download.com, CNET’s well-known download site where you can read user reviews and see the reputation of the app before you download.
- Ryan reminds computer users that when they get a new device antivirus software may be pre-installed, but it is a trial for a limited time. After it expires, you need to get protected with a quality antivirus product. Ryan recommends Avast Free Antivirus for your computer, your Mac, and your mobile phone.
- Ms. Arnold confesses that she has one email address that acts as a catch-all for everything. Ryan says this is a no-no because if a hacker breaks into that email address, then he has access to everything. Ryan suggests that you have separate email addresses for friends and family, work, one for shopping, and one for banking.
- Passwords, admittedly are a pain in the you-know-what. Ryan suggests using an algorithm, or a kind of personal code, to construct your own passwords. For example, you can use a line from your favorite song, say Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Use the first letter of each word, use letters from the website name, and end with a series of numbers. Each password will be unique and known only to you.
And Ryan, we have a tip for you! Small businesses like yours need security protection too, and consumer antivirus like Avast Free Antivirus, doesn’t do the trick when you need to manage multiple devices, platforms, and people in remote locations. Adding to our collection of free products is the new Avast for Business. Avast for Business is free to use for as long as you want and for an unlimited number of admins and devices.
To follow up on the previous post on videos, I forgot to mention one important thing: we never planned to produce ‘silent movies’. This means we were looking for somebody who could help us to record the voices.
Luckily, we didn’t have to search long. Some time back, we introduced the new Community section on our website where you could play and download theme voice notifications. “AVAST virus database has been updated” and all the other ones. A couple of the themed voice versions (for example the “ex-president”) were recorded by our voice actor Luis Acevedo.
Here is his show reel. Play sample
Recently we took pleasure in hosting journalists at our Prague HQ. Among them were Wojciech Kowasz and Jakub Pawlak from dobreprogramy, Poland‘s most popular download site. avast! Free Antivirus is Poland‘s top downloaded software, with over 14,000,000 downloads!
While visiting us in Prague, Mr. Kowasz and Mr. Pawlak recorded a video interview with our CTO, Ondřej Vlček. Mr. Vlček introduced new features of avast! 6.0, explaining how they differentiate avast! from other AV products. If you’ve ever wondered how the AutoSandbox works, what SafeZone is, or how can you rate a website using avast! WebRep, check it out. Mr. Kowasz and Mr. Pawlak also asked about everyday’s life in our HQ in Prague, how the virus lab works, and how we detect viruses. Read more…
avast! will soon reach the unbelievable threshold of 100 million registered users. Reaching this number is only possible thanks to people like you: avast! users who recommend us to friends and associates.
But preparing the proper event to celebrate gaining 100 million users has also been quite an achievement.
We started out with the basic challenge: How do you recognize the 100 millionth user when this person could live in a nearby Prague suburb or the jungles of Borneo.
Since Prague is known internationally, we decided an expenses-paid trip here would be the most easily recognized and appreciated prize. And, unlike a keg of beer—another potential prize— a trip would not be a legal issue in any country where there are avast! users.
It is absolutely amazing to put together a celebration where the winner can come from anywhere. We are really looking forward to meeting the lucky person and their friend next year. It is going to be a big surprise for everyone including us. Once the announcement is made, we are going to immediately hop on the internet and find out more about the location.
With millions of users around the globe, it would be highly ironic if a local person wins. If this person happens to come from Prague, we promise that we will take him or her out for a very nice dinner and discuss alternative travel plans. The winner will definitely not be disappointed. We will provide much more than a ticket to the Prague mass transit system.
The video about this event is a big first for us. It’s our first creative avast! video and the first video to get a number of viewings on YouTube. There are all sorts of Czech cultural references in the video. For example, the speaking statue is Saint John of Nepomuk. And when we watch it, we think, “Wow, weeks of work and the video is still less than a minute long!”
Please support us and go to YouTube to watch, rate or embed the avast! celebration video on your own page. (hyper link directly to YouTube – www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWdHnSgHRxY)
A big thank you from the avast! team.