April 20th, 2011

avast! WebRep now in Chrome

You’ve been asking for it… so here it is: As of the latest update to our avast! 6.0 series (earlier this week), avast! WebRep is now available in the Google Chrome browser. ;)

Screenshot of WebRep results, for the searched term "warez"

avast! WebRep is based on information received from the global avast! user community related to the content and security of visited websites. When you open your web browser, you will see that all links are accompanied by a color-coded icon that gives you intelligence on how the avast! community has rated that particular domain.

Since the release of avast! 6.0 on 23 February, this feature had been available only in IE and Firefox browsers, but the most recent version of avast! 6.0 included this functionality as well for Chrome.

Surf safely… and enjoy.

1. April 20th, 2011 at 11:16 | #1

Will it in Comodo Dragon Browser too?
    It’s based on Chrome.

2. shirley tempted
    April 20th, 2011 at 11:47 | #2

jeej, finally in Chrome… have you planned to list the plugin also here: https://chrome.google.com/extensions/?hl=en or does the WebRep work only when the avast is installed? Could be marketing tool as well… like “You are using WebRep already, now time for installing avast!” :o))

3. Rui Umbelino
    April 20th, 2011 at 11:56 | #3

When will you support Opera browser?

Thanks

4. April 20th, 2011 at 13:37 | #4

A fabulous innovation – well done, Avast !

5. Catalin
    April 20th, 2011 at 14:41 | #5

The MMORPG game 4Story don’t work with Avast AV installed in my computer. I shut down de AV, but still don’t work.

6. Andy
    April 20th, 2011 at 15:30 | #6

Yay, been waiting for this!

7. April 20th, 2011 at 16:47 | #7

@Catalin
    Try updating your virus database.

8. nmb
    April 20th, 2011 at 21:06 | #8

Ringman :
    Will it in Comodo Dragon Browser too?
    It’s based on Chrome.

Just goto C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\WebRep\Chrome\ and drag the crx into your Chrome based browser. You should see a windows asking you to install it! Also, remember to uninstall and install it again when a new version of avast is released.

9. abdus salam
    April 21st, 2011 at 02:43 | #9

I like it most

10. abdus salam
    April 21st, 2011 at 02:46 | #10

thanks

11. abdus salam
    April 21st, 2011 at 02:47 | #11

thanks all

12. Dwarden
    April 21st, 2011 at 03:43 | #12

It works flawlessly also in Iron by Srware (based on Chromium)
    now Opera pretty please ;)

13. Petar Pank
    April 21st, 2011 at 10:39 | #13

WebRep is slowing and freezing my Chrome browser. When i disable it everything is OK.
    Also my friend is having this problem.
    Why?

14. April 21st, 2011 at 10:56 | #14

@Petar Pank
    I’m not sure, as it works perfectly in mine. Try checking our Support Center: http://support.avast.com/ or the avast! Forum: http://forum.avast.com/

15. Catalin
    April 21st, 2011 at 11:28 | #15

@Jason Mashak
    I did that. I put the game on exclusions, but still don’t work. Avast block the game hack sheld and the game don’t start.

16. April 21st, 2011 at 11:48 | #16

@Catalin
    Sounds like a really bad game :D

Seriously, though, as I’m not a gamer nor very technically adept (my primary function is communications, so I operate primarily in MS Word), I would suggest you ask someone in the avast! Forum: http://forum.avast.com/

17. Theeo123
    April 21st, 2011 at 15:23 | #17

I’m not real thrilled about this to be honest.
    I like avast, but I had no real desire for the webtrust plugin, it’s cool don’t get me wrong, but I wasn’t interested.

my real problem is that it was installed, without asking me to be installed, or even notifying me

I have a strong dislike of anything being installed, especially browser plug-ins, without the users permission.

Very Not Cool

18. April 21st, 2011 at 15:41 | #18

Now in Opera please! hehe

19. April 21st, 2011 at 15:49 | #19

For those asking for Opera, please consider that, though we do everything we can to prioritize our users’ requests, Opera is not (yet) a super-high priority. Here is only one (of many) estimates of global web browser usage shares: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Usage_share_of_web_browsers_%28Source_Stat_Counter%29.svg

Note that Opera and Safari are still very low in terms of global demand. We realize that this differs according to regions of the world, but we must first think in terms of our GLOBAL community and then prioritize what is most important overall.

That said, we hope folks are happy with avast! WebRep in IE, Firefox, and now in Chrome. :)

20. April 21st, 2011 at 23:57 | #20

Thanks Jason,
    It’s Working without a hitch. Since Chrome has been my default browser for quite some time, I’m also glad to see this task completed.
    I’ll also put in my request for an Opera version despite your last comment. :)

21. April 22nd, 2011 at 03:16 | #21

I’m hoping you’ll put together an Opera extension too. ~2% may not be much compared to IE/Firefox, or even Chrome, it’s still a lot of heads when you consider the scale of your userbase. I think it’s a high enough share for you to have the extension on your to-do list, if not a priority. Looking at global relevance is also interesting, as my understanding is that avast and Opera tend to be popular in the same markets, both geographically and with more technically passionate (vocal) groups. For instance, Opera has a ~10% hold in the Czech Republic. ;) It’s also worth noting that porting a Chrome extension to Opera is comparatively easy, so if you have one it’s probably worth making the other.

22. April 22nd, 2011 at 09:17 | #22

In terms of Opera, maybe I get what you mean. Maybe it’s like this… when I knew I was going to have another child, I really wanted a pram (Am. ENG: stroller) with a cup-holder. With my first kid I often took her on long walks through fields and forests (where I’d sometimes see avast! Forum Evangelist “Tech” running among the trees, with the wind in his hair), but I had nowhere to put my beer. The baby couldn’t hold it for me, and the 1-2 times (ok, maybe 3-4) that I tried to prop it up somehow on top, it fell over, making a fun little waterfall for baby… and leaving me thirsty. :(

A cup-holder on a pram might not seem like it would have much demand, but I made sure that our next pram has one. And, while it was functional, I wasn’t going to get rid of the pram we had before, but when the next baby was coming, we certainly ‘upgraded’. ;)

Officially, we’re taking your demands for Opera (I’ve always preferred rock concerts myself) into deeper consideration… which means research and PowerPoints and meetings and healthy disagreements between departments… but, ultimately, things will work in your favor – because you’re an avast! user, and we think of you constantly (even when we’re walking the baby).

23. Janis
    April 22nd, 2011 at 09:58 | #23

I Just disable this avast feature,addon all the time in all browsers. Personally I will prefer to disable it at installation if there will be a that kind chance.

24. Tech
    April 22nd, 2011 at 14:35 | #24

Indeed, two days ago I was running through the trees. Indeed we think the best for our baby avast boy :)
    I’m thinking what could we expect for our next baby. How would he be? Your creative imagination and security needs push the program much forward we can dream. Increasing support (don’t forget Linux!) is welcoming :)

25. Łukasz
    April 23rd, 2011 at 10:23 | #25

when in opera add webrep?

26. April 23rd, 2011 at 14:46 | #26

Thx; cause now I don’t have to explain my clients who wants to stay with the IE that they would miss an additional security feature if they are using Chrome instead of the IE.

27. Andy
    April 23rd, 2011 at 16:44 | #27

Yeah, avast! WebRep slows down and freezes in Google Chrome. I get major lag when browsing Google Reader, when I disabled it everything is much more smoother now.

28. April 23rd, 2011 at 17:24 | #28

avast the best A*******

29. April 23rd, 2011 at 17:45 | #29

The AVAST has been good, but lately has descepcionado me, because when you start windows update it always does, even though I set it to only do 26 in 26 hours, another problem is that webrep, expect more of this feature, but only leaves slow navigation. I had to disable the automatic update and webrep.
    My PC before you say it’s a 486, Athlon X2, 4GB with windows 7

30. Trilochan
    April 27th, 2011 at 10:00 | #30

Thanx.. It is very help full to me to protect my computer.
    thanx again

31. April 27th, 2011 at 15:40 | #31

@nmb
    It’s works Thanks for the guide.

32. April 27th, 2011 at 20:12 | #32

Yeah, avast! WebRep slows down and freezes in Google Chrome.

33. May 2nd, 2011 at 13:21 | #33

这是神马,我是中国人 我看不懂英文 非常的郁闷呢~!

34. Mythos
    May 5th, 2011 at 07:49 | #34

Excellent idea, may I suggest a category for Scam\Spam in the categories.

Thanks and regards.

35. May 8th, 2011 at 17:42 | #35

Where I can download avast web rep plagin for google chrome?

36. May 15th, 2011 at 18:25 | #36

donde puedo descargar web rep para google crome tengo la vercion mas vieja de 6.0