April 14th, 2011

Excellent! First comparative with avast! version 6.0

The Virus Bulletin comparative test from last Friday was the first to include our latest version 6.0 and compare it to other security solutions. AVAST submitted as always our avast! Free Antivirus version against other companies’ paid-for security suites and even business solutions, to endorse our vision that when it comes to malware, free security can and should be delivering the same protection as paid-for alternatives.

All together there were 69 products in the test which – I have to say – is a bit of surprise to me because one keeps thinking there can’t be that many. If woken in the middle of the night I would be able to name 5 brands. Right now I could summon 14 names. Of course there is a little bit of inflation with some brands testing more products (like Kaspersky for example). And then there are a number of products that use the scanning engine or multiple-engines of other vendors. Several multi-engine products scored as always very high on detection (G-Data, Trustport, and others) but of course using more than one engine has an impact on the scan speed and use of computer resources.

So how did avast! compare to the others? Excellent indeed!

We had an overall detection rate of 98.9% which is at the top of the range of all tested products. For those who still “believe” free antivirus works only with signatures and doesn’t have other detection techniques: avast! Free Antivirus scored 90% in Proactive detection, significantly ahead of other brands that love to claim “free can’t be enough”…

Note:

• Proactive detection measures detection of new viruses using an outdated signature database.
  • The on-demand test doesn’t take into consideration behavior detection,blocking of infected sites and so on.

In speed, avast! was the second fastest performer with over 21 MB/s throughput behind McAfee VirusScan for Enterprise. However, while the avast! scanner increased the usage of computer resources by only 1% (the best score in the whole test) the speed of McAfee came at the price of higher resource usage. Overall then, avast! had the best combination of detection, speed and impact on system resources.

Congratulations therefore to the avast! Virus Lab, the Development team, and last but not least to all avast! users participating in the CommunityIQ system for their help in detecting new malware.

1. Liam
    April 14th, 2011 at 15:43 | #1

Good to see avast performing so well. I hope accidents like 11 Apr won’t happen again though. I’m disappointed with Eset though, with all their ads, thought they would perform better.

2. April 14th, 2011 at 16:07 | #2

Avast beat paid product. Nice !

3. Malinda bandara
    April 14th, 2011 at 16:24 | #3

perfect avast!…………

4. William
    April 14th, 2011 at 16:50 | #4

please include the pro and suite versions next time.. they tend to add more bulk.. so would bring the speeds / resources down.. but should increase protection marginally. would still like to see the results tho :P

5. Rednose
    April 14th, 2011 at 16:58 | #5

Well done Avast! :)

6. Gautam7
    April 14th, 2011 at 17:27 | #6

Avast is great. Keep up the good work………

7. J. Elias
    April 14th, 2011 at 18:09 | #7

Já devia te-lo comprado antes.è uma maravilha para minha necessidade. Parabens e continuem com essa peformase.

8. Tech
    April 15th, 2011 at 03:41 | #8

Congratulations!

9. shre54321
    April 15th, 2011 at 05:01 | #9

why doesnt avast! try to beat avira in the next session best vluck for the same and congrats!

10. Sua Yong
    April 15th, 2011 at 08:39 | #10

Hi,Milos korenko.May you provide me the link that showed avast! 6.0 did very well in this VB test?Thanks.

11. Bogdan
    April 15th, 2011 at 11:47 | #11

Oh my. Look at Symantec. What a shame…

12. Nick
    April 15th, 2011 at 12:01 | #12

I LOVE AVAST , I USE AVAST AND WILL ALWAYS DO…. BUT WE WNT TO BE NUMBER 1 . I DNT KNW WHY AVIRA IS STILL AHEAD OF US IN DETECTION . WELL WHAT EVER IT IS I BELIEVE AVIRA DETECTS LOT OF FILES WHICH ARE NT VIRUS OR MALWARE…. AVAST SHOULD MAKE SOME CHANGES IN INTERNET SECURITY , THEY SHOULD ADD CLOUD TECHNOLOGY AS WELL WITH SANDBOXING FOR THE BEST DETECTION AND PROTECTION AND BE NO 1 IN INTERNET SECURITY. ANY WAY GOOD WORK AVAST… LOVE AVAST :)

13. T.Devo
    April 15th, 2011 at 13:53 | #13

Avast! 6.0 Free with Panda Cloud Free is Like Having A Invulnerable Shield Around Your Computer. Not One Virus has Gotten Through With Both Avast! and Panda! If They Were Put Together in A test it Would probably Score 100% with 0 False positives! Well Done Avast! Hope you Come First next Time!

14. govind.abs
    April 15th, 2011 at 14:28 | #14

well done avast!

but its shocking to see eset and kaspersky down in the list

is kaspersky that bad?

15. April 15th, 2011 at 15:19 | #15

Sua Yong :

I found it via Google… http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/test?recent=1

16. Milos Korenko
    April 15th, 2011 at 15:23 | #16

@govind.abs
    I’d say that would not be correct statement. avast! and pretty much all the other major brands use multiple protective layers that would try to prevent virus from deploying. These techniques are not measured here (e.g. be behaviour detection, blocking of infected sites and so on)

17. April 15th, 2011 at 15:24 | #17

Avast be creative and perface to ,. thank’s…

18. LISELOTTE MILAKNIS VON BRIXEN UND MONTZEL
    April 15th, 2011 at 17:25 | #18

Excelente! Estou muitissimo satisfeita!

19. April 15th, 2011 at 20:24 | #19

I use avast for several years so that just super smoothly

20. Sua Yong
    April 16th, 2011 at 06:06 | #20

Jason Mashak :

Sua Yong :

I found it via Google… http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/test?recent=1

This not the one I want.I want a link that also showed Avast! has using lowest resources,no false positive.If not,how Milos korenko knows this?I want him to proves it to me.Thanks.

21. April 16th, 2011 at 09:41 | #21

Sorry,but Norton antivirus the latest version Has so much more protection than avast…its tasted…

22. SAM
    April 16th, 2011 at 10:22 | #22

Thees kind of so called “tests” tell nothing.Just put an bunch of viruses into an folder an scan it for viruses.lol

23. mike
    April 16th, 2011 at 15:12 | #23

Bei all diesen Tests ist immer eine gewisse Vorsicht geboten. Vergleicht man einen Porsche mit einem kleinen Fiat in Sachen Benzinverbrauch, sieht der Porsche uralt aus. Deswegen ist es natürlich nicht grundsätzlich das “schlechtere” Auto. Ganz offensichtlich ist eine der Stärken von Avast die geringe Belastung des Systems und das ist, meinte ich, schon ziemlich viel wert. Zudem ist der “Safer Zone Browser” der Vollversion dann doch eine sehr coole Sache, find ich jedenfalls.

24. Ewa
    April 16th, 2011 at 17:57 | #24

I’ve Avast Free 6, and today’s (16.04.2011) virus update blocked Opera and IE and even Task Manager and CCleaner. It is not possible do kill any process. And to close these programs too. Only switch off button helps.
    Windows XP HE 32 bit.

25. jose
    April 17th, 2011 at 04:02 | #25

gracias por permitirnos aprender y sobre todo estar al día felicidades

26. Jane Savage
    April 17th, 2011 at 05:28 | #26

I have always been doubtful about using free antivirus programs since a few years ago i used AVG..and my computer was completely infected within a week
    For the last few years i have used Trend Anti Micro Pro and lately i started to look around as they seemed to be in a bit of a decline keeping on top of the amount of risks coming onto the cyber highway daily

Was due for renewal and a friend of mine suggested avasti…so no harm trying
    and it is ok
    harder to decipher on the traffic list…whether there is anything trying to get through, just mentions how many files it has scanned

and the only other drawback is not much information available in pre set-up of the operating scans etc
    I have another site i use called WOT…. and i must admit surfing the web i find that much more useful than any antivirus program on the market to date
    Thanks

27. NON
    April 17th, 2011 at 12:18 | #27

Great result! Congratulations!

28. LadyGrey
    April 17th, 2011 at 19:47 | #28

I’ve been running Avast! Internet Security for a week now on the recommendation of a friend I enlisted to clean up a scareware infestation that slipped past McAfee. I am well pleased with it’s minimal use of resources during scans and updates plus the SafeZone, as mentioned by commenter #21. The spinning ball in the taskbar affirms that ‘something’ is happening – nice touch! Coupled with the full version of MBAM I’m hoping my bases are covered. I’d been following this product on Cnet and made the change before the other subscription had run it’s term. Keep up the good work!

29. April 17th, 2011 at 23:00 | #29

Found my search results continually being ‘hijacked’ by secondary search engines ( did a search, clicked on a search result BUT secondary search engines ‘hijacked’ the url and gave largely meaningless other search results).
    I could not find a way to eliminate this problem with my resident anti-virus software (Telus) nor with others.
    With another ‘spare’ computer I have been using free Avast. It had no problems. So I downloaded free avast on this computer, did a virus search and prompto it found a trojan horse. That was 3 weeks ago. No problems since !!!

30. April 18th, 2011 at 13:05 | #30

What’s up? My Internet Shield is blocking my Internet connection.

31. Milos Korenko
    April 18th, 2011 at 15:33 | #31

@Sua Yong
    Dear Sua Yong, Virus Bulletin has strict rules on publishing of their reports. We have the report and the data but we can not publish it. (This is the warranty form VB to us: “Please see attached for a copy of the full comparative review but please note this is for internal reference only and not for external publication or distribution”)
    We could quote from the test but we can not distribute it. That violates VB rules.
    If you would like to have an access to the full test you will need register at the VB page – see the link from Jason

32. kpereszczak
    April 18th, 2011 at 21:11 | #32

Hi
    I have avast.IS.6.0 and avast.AV.Pro.6.0.
    Which is better? What are the differences between them? because i dont know which one i have instal on my laptop :(
    Grtz
    Kamil

33. Milos Korenko
    April 19th, 2011 at 09:18 | #33

@kpereszczak
    Dear Kamil, with respect to the malware protection they offer the same. They use the same technologies and protection layers. The only difference is that avast! Internet Security has also Firewall and Anti-Spam which is not included in the avast! Pro AV.

34. abdus salam