July 20th, 2009

Why do you distribute avast! for free?

Here is a question my brother (Brian) recently posted to my Face Book: “One should ask the CEO why he is giving their software for free?”  Now Brian is a great brother but he likes to give me a hard time (and of course I do the same to him).  This question was prompted when he told me that his previous security product (you can imagine what product he was using given where I used to work and the fact Brian always got his security products from me) was expiring and he was wondering whether he should renew it or replace it.  Now, I don’t know if he was testing me to see if I would recommend the Avast product or if he was unaware that I had changed jobs.  But, of course, I told him to replace his old product with our free avast!.

So, while Brian was somewhat giving me a hard time, it is a very good question.  Why do we?

First, we do it because it is the right thing to do.  Internet users need to be protected while they use the internet.  A number of studies show that large numbers of internet users are still not protected while they use the internet—either they have no security product or the product they have has expired and they have not renewed it.  So, Eda and Pavel (our founders) had decided years ago to make our core antivirus product free to home users.  This is something we believe in and are committed to.

Now, we are not completely altruistic.  We do need to make money.  After all, we have to pay salaries, rent, development costs of our products, analyze the thousands of new viruses we receive a day, and support 80 million users.  So, we do have a set of premium products targeted at businesses and home users that need extra capabilities. Sales of these products allow us to support our business.

But instead of selling these through middlemen (retailers, computer manufacturers, etc.), we use our free product to make users aware of the premium products.  So when you use the free product, you will be told at registration and expiration time about the differences between the free and paid products. If you decide you need the extra capabilities, you can buy the product directly and seamlessly from us via our online store.  If you decide you don’t need those capabilities, you just continue using the free product.  But, we are committed to making sure all of our users—paid and free—receive the best possible security protection.

So that is the answer—it is the right thing to do and it allows us to cheaply and efficiently distribute our paid products.  And Brian, I do hope you have switched products as your free brotherly technical support for your old product has ceased.

Categories: CEO's corner Tags: ,
  1. Nick
    July 23rd, 2009 at 15:28 | #1

I am very happy with your free product. Before I had installed DrWeb on my computer, but it was expired, and I choose Avast. In my opinion, it is best protection of my PC. Many, many thanks for your programm.

2. TAMRAT
    July 23rd, 2009 at 16:13 | #2

I AM VERY HAPPY WITH YOUR FREE PRODUCT.THANKYOU !!!!!!

3. TAMRAT
    July 23rd, 2009 at 16:15 | #3

AVAST ANTIVAYRES IS VERY GOD PRODUCT.

4. roniee
    July 23rd, 2009 at 16:24 | #4

i hope the avast 5 will be free to the avastPRO costumers!!!!!!

when i think about symantec im usually think money so i dont believe that vincent steckler make an antivirus without price!!!!

i hope he understand me well!!!!!!!

• July 23rd, 2009 at 18:38 | #5

Avast 5 will be available in a free version. We will have a Version 5 Free Anti-Virus, Version 5 Paid Anti-Virus, and Version 5 Paid Suite. The Take a look at Ondrej’s blog entry on Version 5 for the details….

5. Tom Gibson
    July 23rd, 2009 at 16:25 | #6

I can’t thank you enough for your excellent products. I was having myriad problems with my computer, and happened to mention this to my niece. who happens to be a whiz about computers, and she came over and installed avast. I haven’t had one problem since she installed it. I liked the free trial so much that I re-installed it. Thanks again

6. marco
    July 23rd, 2009 at 18:07 | #7

Ciao sono pienamente d’accordo con le idee di avast team in quanto per primo si da al pubblico la possibilita di provare un prodotto sicuro e certificato cosa che forse non tutti sanno, e nello stesso tempo di conoscere l’etica della ditta percio se dovessi sorbirmi un po di pubblicita da avast non farei una piega, per finire dico che conosco e uso avast da quasi 4 anni ininterrotti per uso privato e se dovessi avere una ditta un giorno sicuramente comprerei la licenza professional perche ho piena fiducia in avast

cordiali saluti marco lecce italy

ps pensate a una traduzione italiana del blog grazie

7. July 23rd, 2009 at 18:30 | #8

Thank you for giving us the possibility to use free Avast version and for what you are doing for us : ))

8. July 23rd, 2009 at 18:31 | #9

I agree with Marco. It could be a good idea to have the blog even in italian. Thank you !!

9. July 23rd, 2009 at 18:43 | #10

I would just like to say that for those of us that struggle to fund our surfing this free service is a real godsend for I am very grateful.

Good on all those concerned and keep up the good work.

Regards
    Jeffro

10. Sangeet
    July 23rd, 2009 at 20:08 | #11

avast antivirus is best among all. Thank you very much for distributing it for free and providing world class services, thanx again…

11. MARIO A. COOKE
    July 23rd, 2009 at 21:35 | #12

what does RSS mean?

12. Tom
    July 24th, 2009 at 02:58 | #13

I was using Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition, which I got for free from my university, and I liked it. But I felt like it was aging poorly, and not keeping up with more advanced and complete detection techniques, so I switched. I chose Avast mainly for its friendly ease of use and remarkably comprehensive feature set given that it was a free application. Detection rates are also very high, so I’m really confident in my decision and impressed with the program so far. I think I’ll keep it.

13. July 24th, 2009 at 03:25 | #14

Thank you for your free antivirus, i just bought a new computer a year ago and it came with mcafee, but it had expired and i’m out of money till i get my check on the 1st., i sure need to keep it protecetd. Thank you again, Ruthie Fink McKinney dinkfink@allegiance.tv

14. July 24th, 2009 at 10:40 | #15

this is the best protection for personal computer. I have norton before, im glad i switched to this one. [jimmyZ from The Philippines]

15. Joe Valoret
    July 24th, 2009 at 18:46 | #16

Greetings! I have a desktop and new Lapton computer….both with AVAST…a friend working in a company (cant say the name of company) recommended me AVAST …excellent service…cant wait for Version 5….to ALL THE PERSONNEL OF AVAST COMPANY;;; CONGRATULATIONS AND THANK YOU ALL !!! Im a retired person and I couldnt afford the exuberant prices for antiviruses service….AVAST IS THE SOLUTION !

16. Thomas
    July 25th, 2009 at 10:52 | #17

Je suis Français, désolé mais je tiens à dire que vous avez vraiment faits un produit génial et même en version gratuite alors MERCI!!! :)

17. The_Blinded
    July 25th, 2009 at 12:16 | #18

Appena uscirò da scuola e andrò a lavorare, comprerò Avast! Pro perché merita.
    Just I will go out from school and I will work, I’ll buy avast! Pro because it deserves.

18. Gennadij
    July 25th, 2009 at 15:40 | #19

My greeting to the ALWIL Software staff! Thank you for your avast 4.8 home ediition! It is the most efficient
    antivirus I’ve ever used. Thank you for your work. I believe the following versions will be the best of all, again!

19. July 25th, 2009 at 16:25 | #20

avast! 5 is coming… soon!

20. July 25th, 2009 at 16:26 | #21

hi..

21. July 25th, 2009 at 16:35 | #22

I am computer technician just want to thank you for sharing the best (in my opinion only) antivirus i had ever tried, that is why i keep on distributing installing an recommending this excellent avast home edition to all my friends and costumer because most are confused to which is the best. million thanks to everybody there.

22. July 25th, 2009 at 19:26 | #23

EVERY ONE I KNOW WHO USES AVAST; SWEARS BY IT. NOW, SO DO I. THANX

23. asakura
    July 26th, 2009 at 05:02 | #24

AVAST ANTIVAYRES IS VERY GOD

24. July 27th, 2009 at 01:16 | #25

Just wanted to say thank you for the free antivirus. We appreciate it very much.

25. MStech411
    July 27th, 2009 at 07:03 | #26

I am really happy that Vincent&ALWIL decided to do a free edition, i currently own PRO though because i am very pleased with Avast! its good that you have a home edition for all the people out there who need a good AV. keep a free version, FOREVER!

26. 断续寒风
    July 27th, 2009 at 11:46 | #27

来自中国,在用贵公司的产品,VERY GOOD! THANKYOU !I COME FROM CHINA

27. James Kpanto
    July 27th, 2009 at 14:41 | #28

Thank you for this free and excellent antivirus which some times beat paid versions of other antivirus. I do help friends and others who need good free antivirus to install for them and for free…. keep up the good work!

28. Visti Vistisen
    July 28th, 2009 at 09:46 | #29

Kommentar fra Danmark.

Jeg vil først og fremmest sige rigtig mange tak for et godt og gratis program. Jeg er imponeret over, at der er nogle personer, som er så idealistiske, at de laver et så stort stykke arbejde, for at give så mange mulighed for at installere et gratis antivirus program og som virker. Endnu en gang tak til alle dem, som har været med til at gøre Avast tilgængelig.
    Ha´ det godt og pas godt på jer selv.

Visti Vistisen, Denmark

29. July 28th, 2009 at 13:23 | #30

Vince makes a valid point and one in which I suspect is shared by many many industry insiders. The FREE AV approach is only as good as the product – avast! AV for me is one of the best in the field for detection and performance. It’s not perfect though – nothing is. In fact I’ve written a recent feature in Hakin9 magazine on the future of AV and that neural and the heuristic approach will play even greater roles in the detection process in the future. Not just in AV might I add! From my perspective it’s lovely to hear someone say “it’s the right thing to do”. Enough said.

Best regards
    Julian

30. July 28th, 2009 at 13:24 | #31

Best regards
    Julian

31. July 28th, 2009 at 13:25 | #32

Vincent makes a valid point and one in which I suspect is shared by many many industry insiders. The FREE AV approach is only as good as the product – avast! AV for me is one of the best in the field for detection and performance. It’s not perfect though – nothing is. In fact I’ve written a recent feature in Hakin9 magazine on the future of AV and that neural and the heuristic approach will play even greater roles in the detection process in the future. Not just in AV might I add! From my perspective it’s lovely to hear someone say “it’s the right thing to do”. Enough said.

Best regards
    Julian

32. Krupakar T. Joshua
    July 28th, 2009 at 15:33 | #33

I am a BIG Time fan of PANDA Antivirus since 1997. I moved to Delhi in 2006. My friends Satish Benedict Khalkho, Babul Nag, Asfa Begum, Neeraj, Neeraj, Haamid etc use Avast Antivirus.
    I found AVAST Antivirus Software very Good. Especially the Free Updates, the Latest Virus Definitions that are available directly from the AVAST Website. Browsing the Internet is Risky and Not Secure as there are lots and lots of Virus, Trojans, Spywares, Adwares, Worms….
    AVAST is Simple to use and it does not Slow down the System.
    GOOD Work….!!
    THANKS A LOT…..!!! THANK U 4m the Bottom of my Heart for giving us such a Useful and Free Antivirus Software. Thanks again…!!!
    Greetings..!! & All the Best 2 all of you behind this Cool Antivirus Software.

33. RZPogi
    July 30th, 2009 at 18:17 | #34

I was using trendmicro before, but i switch to avast when my license expired. My friend uses avast and so far so good since i installed it back in early 2008.

Keep up the good work and God bless avast and its creators/maintainers.

1 2 380