Change is good, especially when it pushes us forward and encourages us to improve. We’ve recently made a change that will benefit our users and make their experience using our products even better. Our PC optimization product formerly known as GrimeFighter has now emerged as Avast Cleanup. In addition to the name change, there’s more to this transition that Avast users can be excited about. In Avast Cleanup, we’ve got a bunch of great benefits for you to enjoy:
- Rid your PC of up to 5x more junk. Avast Cleanup continues to search for junk files, unnecessary app processes and system settings that slow down your PC’s performance. The amount of issues detected by Avast Cleanup have been improved fivefold, ensuring that your PC is cleaned as thoroughly as possible.
- Keep it clean, keep it fast. Avast Cleanup’s quick and easy scan is 10x faster, now capable of transforming your PC in minutes or even seconds. As always, exact scan times may vary due to Internet connection or amount of issues found.
- Win precious space back with new, advanced scanning features. Even a new PC can be loaded with unnecessary apps. Avast Cleanup checks when you update a program or uninstall an app, ensuring that any unnecessary leftover files don’t take up space on your PC. Since you’re immediately informed if unneeded files are discovered, you can save more space on your device than ever before.
- Organize Avast Cleanup to work around your agenda. You can schedule a daily clean, select which programs you want to load upon startup, and choose what you clean in a scan. What’s more, Avast Cleanup discreetly runs in the background while you go about your daily activities.
Avast Cleanup helps you store more of what you actually want and to accomplish it in just a few minutes. Don’t let your PC become a test of your patience — try Cleanup for yourself. Here’s how:
- For licensed users, all you need to do is install the latest version of Avast. Your GrimeFighter will then be automatically updated to Avast Cleanup. You’ll receive a notification letting you know that the update was successful.
- For users who have updated to the latest Avast version but haven’t yet purchased Avast Cleanup, you can do so either from our website or, better yet, directly through the program by navigating to the store link on left menu of the interface.
- For users who haven’t updated, you can also buy Cleanup within Avast. For now, you’ll still see it as GrimeFighter and you’ll need to do an update to the latest version of Avast in order for it to work.
Good question. Every time you plug an unknown flash drive into your computer, you’re taking a risk because a USB drive can spread malware as well as attract it. Have you ever heard “My flashdrive ate my homework” as an excuse? It could happen. Here’s how avast! can help.
Avast! security products come with a number of pre-defined scans installed including the ability to scan any removable storage device that is connected to your computer, such as USB flash drives, external hard drives, etc. It will scan the drive to detect potential “auto-run” programs that may try to launch when the device is connected.
To carry out a manual scan of Removable media, select the Scan tab in the avast! user display. This will open the Scan screen as shown in the screenshot.
A Quick scan will perform a scan of the C:\drive on your computer, which is normally sufficient to detect the majority of malware. Only files with “dangerous” extensions are scanned, for example, .exe, .com, .bat, etc. Only those areas at the beginning and end of a file, where infections are normally found, are tested.
A Full system scan performs a detailed scan of all your computer’s hard disks. Avast! looks inside every file to determine what type of file it is and whether it should be scanned. The whole file is tested, which is useful if you suspect you have an infection which was not detected by the quick scan.
If you want to scan a specific folder or multiple folders, Select folder to scan.
To run one of the pre-defined scans, just click Start.
Thank you for using avast! Antivirus and recommending us to your friends and family. For all the latest news, fun and contest information, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. Business owners – check out our business products.