The Avast Free for Education program currently protects more than 7 million educational devices in the US.
The Avast Free for Education team spent a week in Orlando, Florida at one of the country’s premier educational technology conferences, FETC. School administrators, IT professionals, media specialists, and educators visited our comfy booth, all curious about what the world’s most trusted antivirus software company was doing there.
Here’s a run-down of the Top 10 questions about Avast Free for Education:
- 1. What is the Free for Education program?
Avast supports education in the USA by making our business-grade security product, Avast for Business, available for FREE!
- 2. Why are you doing this?
There are two good reasons: The first one is technical – we collect threat data from our community of 230 million active users which the Virus Lab uses as a “sensor net” to automate virus research. So whenever we see something suspicious, it automatically gets transmitted to the cloud, and based on the threat data, we create new definitions and stream them back to the whole user base. It’s really quite unique and helps us to leverage the size of our user base, because no other antivirus company has as many users as we do.
The second reason is Free for Education is part of our expansion plan, to simply make US users more aware of Avast Antivirus. We have about 14 million Avast Free Antivirus users in the USA now, but we want that number to increase. Giving our business-grade security product to schools for free will also help us spread the word about our products for home-use and mobile.
- 3. How do you make money?
This program is not about making money, but improving our detection rate and increasing awareness. That being said, Free for Education participants can add our technical support at a special annual rate of only $2 per seat. We heard from visitors to our booth, that they would still save money because they were paying about more with other programs.
- Read more…
While most of the AVAST team is located in freezing Prague, some of us are enjoying sunshine in Florida. The AVAST Free for Education team is excited to be attending FETC 2014 in Orlando, Florida for the first time! Check out the preparation progress and don’t forget to follow AVAST on Instagram and stop by at the Booth 356!
AVAST Free for Education team is FREEking awesome!
Getting ready: booth 356 already looks pretty!
Why pay for Antivirus, if you can get one for free? Read more…
The AVAST Free for Education team is excited to be attending FETC 2014 in Orlando, Florida for the first time! As part of our preparations we’ve been making an essentials packing list, which we thought we’d share with you…
- Comfy spring clothes We checked the weather report and were excited to see that it’s going to be warmer than the snow we have in Europe at the moment. No winter coats for us.
- Suitable shoes We know that there will be plenty of walking and standing, possibly some skipping too (depends on our mood), super comfy shoes are one of our “must-have” items!
- DEODORANT The days at the conference will be long, so we want to smell our best at all times!
- Toothbrush and toothpaste We don’t want to scare any of our booth visitors off and plan on showing off our pearly whites as much as possible.
- Passport/Identification We won’t name names, but we’ve seen first-hand how an out of date passport can pretty much render you useless for an international business trip
- Currency Maybe you don’t have to worry about converting your money, but we sure are looking forward to carrying around some green “Benjamins” (okay, maybe more like some “Andrews”, and “Alexanders”)
- Itinerary We’ve downloaded the FETC app, which we think is especially useful for planning your exhibition schedule (don’t forget to put booth #356 on your schedule!)
Conference essentials Read more…
The team that runs AVAST Free for Education is excited to be attending this year’s Florida Educational Technology Conference (FETC 2014) in Orlando, Florida, but also a little nervous about what to expect. Here’s the top 5 things we have been alerted to about our trip to The Sunshine State – Florida, USA!
1. Everything will be AWESOME! Americans are a very positive bunch, and describe everything good with an enthusiastic “Awesome!” So we’re prepared that FETC will be Awesome, Orlando will be Awesome, the weather will be awesome, and of course, AVAST Free for Education is TOTALLY AWESOME!! We will fit right in. Come see us at booth #356.
2. Everyone smiles. All. The. Time. Again Americans are positive bunch, and it shows on their faces. So even when the conference day is nearing an end, and our faces hurt from smiling at Awesome people and telling our Awesome story, we’ll make an effort to keep smiling. It won’t be hard, because we are genuinely happy to be at FETC.
3. Mickey Mouse is the governor of Florida and the capital is The Magic Kingdom. Need we say more?!
4. Americans don’t know where Prague is. We’ve heard that Americans are not too good at European geography. It doesn’t matter; we don’t know where Kansas is (but I promise we’ll find out!) Conference-goers just need to know which state their school and school districts are in, so we can provide them with free business-grade security protection.
5. Alligators live in every body of fresh water in Florida. We sincerely hope that doesn’t include hotel swimming pools.
We can’t wait to arrive in beautiful Orlando, Florida and spend this next week talking to our Free for Education customers, meeting new people, and saving U.S. schools and districts thousands of dollars a year. Stop by our booth #356 and attend our Learning Lab talk on Friday at 11:40.
Thank you for using avast! Antivirus and recommending us to your friends and family. For all the latest news, fun and contest information, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. Business owners – check out our business products.