At Avast, we know how precious a good night’s sleep is. You can relax and sleep soundly knowing that avast! Antivirus is protecting your devices. From your family’s PCs or Macs to the Android phone in your pocket or tablet on your nightstand – avast! is guarding against prowlers, snoops, and thieves.
Check out the avast! Store for family-friendly offers on multiple device protection. And…Sweet Dreams!
It has been two or three months since I last blogged about Android malware. But that definitely doesn’t mean there aren’t any new threats. There are plenty! Here are two quick comparisons from the last two years: Growth of the malware problem of the platform in January 2012 compared with January 2013 is far from the ‘normal’ growth of other platforms. According to our statistics, it’s something around +850 percent! Add another year for an even more insane comparison – the growth from January 2011 to January 2013 gives us +3150 percent! The Android platform is definitely one of the most targeted malware platforms these days. But no worries, users of Avast! Free Mobile Security are safe. Read more…
Don’t miss our LIVE presentation of the new avast! Free Antivirus version 8! We’ve just released it today and this is your chance to be one of the first to see what avast! version 8 is all about.
We will be broadcasting our Hangout, live from Prague, Czech Republic, starting at 7 PM EST on February 28th (today). There are several ways you can view it:
- Add Avast to your Google+ circles, and we’ll post the link there. RSVP to our event and you’ll get the link automatically.
- You will also be able to watch it live on the avast YouTube channel.
- Just before we go live we will post a link to our avast Facebook page . When you see it, CLICK IT, and please be sure share with your friends!
Watch our video invitation.
We look forward to seeing you there.
Make sure you friend Avast on Facebook so you won’t miss our original comic strip, MALWARE ATTACKS!!. Here’s a quick catch-up in case you missed the first installment -
We meet unfortunate aliens fleeing their embattled home world in search of help against the evil Malware Empire. The fate of their planet rests on their success.
Alien visitors come to Earth seeking help from Avast against the evil Malware Empire.
The desperate aliens visit Avast headquarters to ask for help to defeat the evil Malware Empire. Just like 177 million Earthlings who use Avast to protect themselves, the aliens find what they are looking for.
Armed with avast! Free Antivirus 8, the aliens race back to their home planet. Victory against the evil Malware Empire is assured.
Thanks to avast! Free Antivirus 8, the galaxy is once again protected against Malware. Our heroes are awarded with the medal for bravery, and avast! 8 takes its place of honor in history.
Protect your world with avast! 8. From avast! Free Antivirus to our newest top-tier suite, Avast Premier 8, it can all be found on http://www.avast.com
Recently we encountered a very suspicious piece of code on some Joomla-powered webpages. The code looks as if garbled and without any special meaning, and starts like this:
I don’t know what kind of curiosity leads people to the dark corners of the internet, when they want to obtain a new version of antivirus software. It’s somehow irrational to find security software at insecure places. But…. it happens.
As you can see, the file name is Avast_Antivirus_2012_Trial_Verion.exe – but it is definitely not a proper setup released by us. Here are some facts, that are worth remembering:
It is a credit to the quality of our Facebook and Twitter fans that so many take the time to write us with appreciation and praise. It is extremely meaningful for us to receive your feedback, positive or negative, but we are especially motivated and thrilled to learn when we are satisfying our customers. Here are some examples of messages we have received lately on social media. Thanks to all who have written to us.
Do you use your mobile device to check email, use social networks or log in to your bank account while sipping a double mocha latte at your favorite coffee shop or while waiting for your next flight? That’s risky considering you cannot count on public Wi-Fi hotspots that you find in cafes, coffee shops, airports, schools, and hotels to be secure. Remote cybercrooks, and even the guy sitting a couple of tables from you sipping coffee, can use software to eavesdrop and snoop which could result in stolen credit card information and passwords or full-blown identify theft.
With new avast! SecureLine for iOS you can secure your wireless internet connection when using your iPad, iPhone, or iPod on a Public/Open Wi-Fi network. Here’s how it works:
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. avast! SecureLine VPN creates a private ‘tunnel’ through the internet for your data to travel through, and everything inbound and outbound through the tunnel is encrypted. Data is decoded at the VPN server, using advanced encryption protocols. Handy features also detect and filter malicious URLs, block ads in the browser and apps, or can compress your transferred data which saves your mobile data plan and enables access to US-only content.
Congratulations on your wonderful gift, and Merry Christmas! You are wise to think about security for your tablet, because cybercrooks are producing malware for these devices in increasing numbers.
avast! Mobile Security prevents malware and viruses on Android devices at no cost to you. You get Anti-theft protection, remote control and remote memory wipe, plus privacy reports, anti-spyware, network management, Web protection and a firewall. avast! Free Mobile Security is available for download either via Google Play (Android Market) or our website.
Once you have downloaded, do not forget to set your PIN Recovery in the ‘Settings’ section. The PIN Recovery feature is the way to get access to your device in case you lose or forget your avast! PIN. You have to set it in Settings or on the avast! Portal. You can use the avast! Portal for controlling your device remotely in case it is stolen. For this operation your device must be paired with your avast! account – if you do not have one, please sign in on dedicated pages.
Have fun with your new Galaxy tablet, and please share avast! Antivirus with your friends. Happy New Year!
Another busy year is coming to a close at Avast Software. We launched game-changing products for Mac and Android which achieved astounding download numbers and won multiple accolades; we made technical strides in detecting dangerous malware to keep our users safer than ever; we grew our social media presence so that our Facebook fan page is in the top 4 of the software category; and we started a unique program providing business-grade security software to U.S. schools and libraries for free. avast! Antivirus is protecting more than 170 million devices – PCs, Macs, and Android phones and tablets – worldwide.
As the year comes to end, we look back on some of our accomplishments. Here’s our favorite moments of 2012:
- avast! Mobile Security for Android reached 1 million installations the first week of January – only 10 days after its launch.
- In one month, avast! recorded 1.87 billion incidents of our users encountering malware.
- Avast reaches 150 million users worldwide. Three countries - the USA, Brazil and France - each have more than 10 million avast! users.
- avast! Mobile Security for Android reached 2.1 million installations at the beginning of February, and we gave away 10 Samsung Galaxy Nexus phones to celebrate the success.
- Our CEO makes changes to Avast free phone support service based on feedback from our users.
- Our premium product avast! 7 Internet Security with AutoSandbox and avast! SafeZone becomes available to home users.
- The beta of avast! Free Antivirus for Mac begins and protects users from the Flashback Trojan which infected 600,000 Macs.
- avast! Free Antivirus 7 receives the Advanced Plus certification by AV-Comparatives detecting 98% of the 300,000 malware tested, surpassing many paid antivirus.
- We celebrate the launch of avast! Free Antivirus for Mac with a Facebook photo contest, and welcome hundreds of thousands of new fans.
- avast! Free Antivirus for Mac is the most popular download on CNET’s download.com after only 3 days.
- We treat Brazilian avast! user and family to seven days in paradise with an all-expenses paid trip by Avast.
- Avast welcomes its global business partners to Prague for annual meeting.
- avast! Free Antivirus beats competitors in AV-TEST, detecting 100% of malware and reaching the top of the list in performance.
- avast! File Server Security for Windows Servers earns the Virus Bulletin 100% (VB100) award.
- We welcome our 190 millionth registered avast! user and family to Prague.
- avast! Mobile Security 2.0 launched with new functions: Portal for remote control of Android devices (my.avast.com), consumption meter network, widget and SiteCorrect ™.
- avast! Antivirus is one of the few products to protect against Microsoft vulnerabilities.
- avast! Free Antivirus earns another VB100 award.
- avast! Mobile Security exceeds 10 million installations and maintains 4.7 out of 5 stars rating on Google Play.
- Facebook teams up with Avast to protect users from malware shared unknowingly by the social network’s users.
- The avast! Facebook page has 2 million fans.
- avast! Free Antivirus 7.0 is the only free antivirus solution to receive the ADVANCED+ Award Certification .
- avast! Mobile Security protects Android devices from USSD attacks that can block the SIM card and delete data.
- Avast announces the Free for EDU program which gives our centrally-managed business product free to U.S. schools and libraries.
- avast! Free Antivirus earns the coveted compatibility certification and the right to display the “Windows 8 Compatible” logo.
- avast! Internet Security provides 100% protection against banking malware.
- avast! Free Antivirus receives AV-TEST certification for 100% detection rates of malware.
- Avast teams up with Socialbakers to monitor and manage its growing presence on social media.
- Avast users predict results of U.S. presidential election.
- Avast has 170 million active users.
- avast! Mobile Security detects 100% of mobile malware while Android 4.2 is found to detect only 15.3% of malware.
- Facebook ‘Member Gets Member’ game begins and gains hundreds of thousands of new fans.
- The Avast Research Lab develops new malware-detecting technologies.