July 20th, 2009

avast! 5 is coming… soon!

After a long time of keeping everything in secret, I’m glad that I can now disclose some preliminary information about the upcoming avast! version 5. The first thing to note is that the product is coming relatively soon. Namely, we’re currently planning to release it this October.

The product will be offered in three flavors: a free AV (that will supersede avast! 4.8 Home Edition), a paid AV (successor of avast! Professional Edition) and a full Internet Security suite. As usual, all customers (or users) with a valid avast! subscription will get a free upgrade to this new version.

The free AV will, of course, contain all the features from the existing Home Edition, plus a couple of new extras (I’ll be sharing more details on the blog as time goes by). The paid AV now includes a new virtualization module as well as all the features from the free AV and features previously exclusive to avast! 4.8 Pro. And finally, the suite adds an antispam and firewall module and will thus provide you with a complete, worry-free protection.

All three products will share the same antivirus engine (e.g. all of them will still have exactly same detection rates) that has been substantially improved and optimized. It may sound like a cliché, but it’s a fact: the new engine can detect more viruses, while actually consuming less resources.

The performance optimizations were not confined to the AV engine only; the program now uses various tricks to feel as light as possible and to not interfere with your work in any way. For example, we have radically improved the time it takes the computer to boot, making the slowdown imposed by avast! almost unnoticeable. I’ll be very interested in getting some feedback from you on this one (as soon as you get a chance to test it – please read on).

Starting with version 5, avast! now officially supports heuristics (proactive detection), although between me and you, many of the stuff has already been present in the previous versions – but we haven’t marketed it in any way. Also, detection of Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) has been added. Additionally, version 5 includes a new code emulator (or in fact, a dynamic translation module, to be technically correct) that will be of great help e.g. when unpacking malware samples packed/protected by unknown packers (as is the case pretty often).

All three products also feature a new user interface which has been completely redesigned for this new version. We’re abandoning the dual (simple vs. enhanced) UI model and replacing it with a single comfortable console, designed for both novice and experienced users. I’m attaching a couple of screenshots to give you an idea of what the product actually looks like.

File System Shield (formerly "Standard Shield")

File System Shield (formerly "Standard Shield")

File System Shield Settings

File System Shield Settings

Scan page

Scan page

Scan Settings

Scan Settings

Shield Statistics

Shield Statistics

Virus notification

Virus notification

The beta testing of avast! 5 will start in a couple of weeks (roughly by the end of July / beginning of August), so if you are interested to give it a try, please check back soon as I’ll be posting the details here on the blog as well as on our forums.

Categories: Technology Tags:

can’t wait for avast 5.0 beta

4. joao silva
    July 26th, 2009 at 23:44 | #4

I wait for Avast 5.0 beta soon, soon, soon

5. bigc73542
    July 27th, 2009 at 00:02 | #5

Avast has served me well for a long time and I am glad to see a new version on the horizon. Can hardly wait to start beta testing V5.

bigc

6. andrex_598
    July 27th, 2009 at 01:59 | #6

genial ya quiero la version beta de avast!. 5 la interfaz grafica se ve de pelos esta genial.

7. Mark.C
    July 27th, 2009 at 05:33 | #7

期待avast!5.0,祝福avast!5.0。
    Avast HE would be the best free AV it had a firewall.

8. July 27th, 2009 at 05:41 | #8

u should hve a trial version of

9. MStech411
    July 27th, 2009 at 06:54 | #9

I currently use Avast! PRO, i have no problems at all with it. I am a pretty advance user, atleast enough to know whats rogue and not. i am really looking forward to avast 5.0 and its firewall! I might not do beta testing though. but when it comes out in October i am gonna download right away, no doubt! i am currently beta testing iobit security 360(beta 2.2,Antimalware). it works really great with avast so any other users of Avast i recommend it with Avast(of course). IObit security uses normal protection, and DOG detection(Digital Original Gene) so avast and that make a great combo! Please check out iobit security at IObit.com.

10. MStech411
    July 27th, 2009 at 06:56 | #10

@Mark.C
    All the way!

11. MStech411
    July 27th, 2009 at 07:14 | #11

Liking the new interface. WAY better than the old default skin(silver panel) there was a couple of good skins on the avast website

12. July 27th, 2009 at 15:09 | #12

我看看能不能写出汉字来,支持avast!

13. wonder76
    July 27th, 2009 at 20:39 | #13

What about problems with zone alarm free firewall? I know that avast! previous versions had problems with this program. Had yuou fix them??

14. Suman Kumar Dutta
    July 27th, 2009 at 22:14 | #14

It is a great news for all the avast users all over the globe either the free one or the paid one. Avast has become one of the essential household anti-virus solution all over the world. The most important thing is that it supplies the free one without any problem of trial key or any disturbing pop-up boxes for upgrade. With version 5 there is a new sleek design user interface that is as beautiful as of any paid anti-virus solution with some of the new additional features like the in-built firewall and an anti-spam engine. With all these new capabilities i am sure that the customers of Avast will doubles in coming years. We will also see that it will touch the 80 billion mark in few years with the boost of version 5. In my view what i have found after using avast is that every thing is fine in it’s place in Avast except the user interface which i say the most ugly user interface any free or paid anti-virus program gives. In Avira and AVG free version is quite beautiful. But now i think after this most beautiful user interface Avast is getting in near future will make it the most used product in case of downloads or registration. It will create a new beginning in the history of anti-virus industry and quickly become the market leader in the field of inbound and outbound cyber security solutions. I am sorry for calling the user-interface of presant edition ugly but i think you will understand me sir. Avast is not only your product but a user-friendly product of millions. What i have said is a feedback from an Avast user. So don’t take it in any other way.

15. Tata
    July 28th, 2009 at 12:27 | #15

Avast…Rockkkkkkkkkkkkk..

16. July 28th, 2009 at 13:30 | #16

Looking forward to seeing the heuristic capabilities. Roll on October.

Best
    Julian
    ID Theft Protect

17. July 28th, 2009 at 14:36 | #17

We will certainly be up for testing the “beta” version on our office PCs.

Best
    Team IDTP

18. Brandon72196
    July 28th, 2009 at 16:32 | #18

@Guti
    There has always been native x64 support.
    Quoted from the avast! pro information page:
    Support for 64-bit Windows

avast! Home/Professional now fully supports the 64-bit Windows platform. ALWIL Software is anticipating massive growth of this platform, as Windows XP 64-Bit Edition will support up to 32 GB of RAM and 16 TB of virtual memory, enabling applications to run faster when working with large data sets. Applications can preload substantially more data into virtual memory, allowing rapid access by the 64-bit extensions of the processor. This reduces the time for loading data into virtual memory or seeking, reading, and writing to data storage devices, making applications run faster and more efficiently.

Regular (32-bit) antivirus applications are unable to operate correctly on the 64-bit Windows platform, because they rely on 32-bit kernel-mode drivers. The latest version of avast! uses native 64-bit drivers, delivering the same level of protection as the 32-bit Windows environments. The installation package is the same for 32-bit and 64-bit versions – the setup program automatically detects the operating system it is running on and installs all necessary files. You may find more information on avast! Antivirus and Windows x64 Edition page.

19. franky
    July 28th, 2009 at 18:47 | #19

AVAST IS THE BEST !!!!!!

20. Mark Story Jenks
    July 28th, 2009 at 22:08 | #20

You’ve got this customer, and word-of-mouth can do a lot.

21. Brian A.Maisey (brit.maisey)
    July 29th, 2009 at 02:52 | #21

Having been a Avast free Home user for some time I am more than satisfied with its performance. It has proved itself for my needs over Norton & I have recommended it to contacts in Brasil & China. A contact in China is currently using the Home edition with entire satisfaction.
    I am looking forward to the new Avast 5 to see what additional features it will give me. Looke like a cuestiion of the best being better. Three cheers for that

22. JABEZ
    July 29th, 2009 at 07:13 | #22

i cant wait till october…….

23. div_dib
    July 29th, 2009 at 07:35 | #23

Great when will final version will be launch???

24. kier obang
    July 29th, 2009 at 11:36 | #24

I’m excited for the avast!5 release! i’m really impressed with avast’s performance in my computer, and i’ve been using it for quite some time. i think the version 5 will have a better look/interface and can block more viruses than ever…

avast is really the best AV software!!! Congratz!!!

25. Oka
    July 29th, 2009 at 16:15 | #25

I seriously hope the Home Edition of Version 5 won’t have the Firewall and Anti-Spam tabs and when you click on them it’ll be like “OMG PAY RIGHT NOW” or something. That only will make me replace Avast with Microsoft Security Essentials.
    I D i s l i k e Ads.

26. Brian A.Maisey (brit.maisey)
    July 29th, 2009 at 17:20 | #26

I am just bitting my nails with nervousness waiting for August – just a few days now. I hope we will be autamatically ubdated for full version of Avast 5 after we finish bete accessment. I had a problem with an antivirus sight bug that Avast 4 did not block. It inserted a message in Windows search pages saying the web sites had viruses & to buy there AV. Microsoft was aware of this site but haver not blocked it.

27. daljit
    July 29th, 2009 at 20:10 | #27

pleace in aug

28. daljit
    July 29th, 2009 at 20:12 | #28

HURRY UP MAN

29. janis ozols
    July 29th, 2009 at 20:57 | #29

faster,faster!!! i realy can’t wait

30. July 29th, 2009 at 21:54 | #30

I am really looking forward to the new package and think we can increase client base on AVAST with new look!
    AVAST is cool and gives great confidence in PC security!

31. Brian A.Maisey (brit.maisey)
    July 29th, 2009 at 23:09 | #31

By the way the site to block which inserts a contaminated site message is http://suspicious – domain – block.com in an effort to force buying their AV. Can U block it. It took me a day to removeit

32. Mark.C
    July 30th, 2009 at 07:21 | #32

I hope avast!5.0 will compatible with more chinese software.
    I hope avast!5.0 will compatible with Windows 7.

33. Björn Lundahl
    July 30th, 2009 at 09:58 | #33

Avast will receive more stars when reviews are made

Hi, I have always in my reviews given Avast five stars (out of five possible) and so does also many Avast users who writes reviews at different download sites. Avast users usually loves Avast more than other users loves their brands of antivirus software.

Technical journalists who writes reviews does not generally to the same extent, I believe, give Avast quite as many stars as it users does (generally, maybe three stars or four stars out of five). Not that they are more correct in their judgement than its users are, actually I believe in the opposite as I myself, as I wrote, gives it five stars.

Now with this new interface and heuristics capabilities implemented (heuristics already unofficially implemented in version 4.8) technical journalists will give it better marks or grades. This because heuristics will by time (which has already begun happening) increase Avasts detection capabilities even more and technical journalists are also very aware of this feature named heuristics. Many journalists also think that Avast layout is a bit awkward (I love, though, the radio player), but now all this will change and Avast will generally get as many stars as Nod32, Kaspersky, Bitdefender etc that is four or five stars out of five possible. Journalists will not have any other choice.

Björn Lundahl
    Gothenburg, Sweden

34. Björn Lundahl
    July 30th, 2009 at 10:14 | #34

I want to add that my points are only made regarding Avast Home Edition and Avast Professional Edition and not the new Security Centre as its reviews depends on how well it will function. Avast Home Edition and Professional Edition are already by its users, I suppose, tested as a lot of the features are already implemented.

Björn Lundahl

35. Kitty
    July 30th, 2009 at 15:42 | #35

Many chinese users hope avast!5.0 Home Edition will have a good firewall.

36. DAA
    July 31st, 2009 at 05:19 | #36

国产瑞星是 垃圾
    支持AVAST

37. July 31st, 2009 at 05:51 | #37

I like avast! very much~~!
    5.0 hurry up!

38. penn
    July 31st, 2009 at 08:11 | #38

Cool!
    Freeware 万岁!

39. gdmdhxq
    July 31st, 2009 at 08:31 | #39

支持 希望avast! 5.0 beta 能有中文版本
    I hope avast! 5.0 BETA will have the Chinese version

40. Pellegrino Emanuele
    July 31st, 2009 at 13:32 | #40

Less than one month ago I extended for one year the licence for Avast Pro 4.8.
    Very bad decision! I experience every day failures of your software (i.e. not working with the stop signal on the icon..), that requires to go “repairing” it.
    Moreover, few minutes ago at the end of a scanning, I read in some rows of the final report this funny diagnosis in italian ..questo file è una bomba a decompressione..! that is..this file is a decompression bomb!!! I can appreciate jokes in the proper places, but I hope you undestand that I must ask you a recovery action or the full licence refund. Thanks a lot for a ready reply.

41. Veronica
    August 1st, 2009 at 02:02 | #41

I didn’t mean to offend anybody with my opinion… I just feel that this new 5.0 appears rather complicated. I am sort of stuck with 5.0 because I paid for 2 years of Professional 8.4! If it at least supports skins like black vibe by szcraftec from Sasha Zivanovic-Craftec, then I’ll be alright. But this new one is somewhat revolting… What happened to the cool blue spinning “a” amd “i” as well as a cool design? Design always plays an important factor to casual users. If it doesn’t look attractive… I will go for the competitor. To me all anti-virus are equal… It really comes down to the look. Thus, explains why I am STILL using NetScape. The prettiest darn browser ever! I am looking forward to avast 5.0 if it supports more choices and better features and cool design for the screen! Thank you and smile!

42. Scout
    August 1st, 2009 at 02:20 | #42

I can’t w8 for the new version of avast..Currently im using home edition and im glad that you continue developing this kind of masterpiece to improve those protection even though it is free..At time goes by Avast Home edition will be the lightest and greatest free antivirus in this world!!!

43. August 1st, 2009 at 07:54 | #43

avast is the best.

44. Pellegrino Emanuele
    August 1st, 2009 at 10:46 | #44

This is not a comment but a comply. I renewed the licence for Avast 4.8 Pro few weeks ago. When I power up the PC Avast is stopped and I have to go repairin or updating it. Moreover yesterday the report after a virus scanning was amazing:…in italian I read “il file è una bomba decompressa..!” that is “file is a decompressed bomb…! That’it really! In the past I appreciated your software but now I’m here to ask you a repairing action. Thank you a lot

Emanuele Pellegrino
    emanuele.pellegrino@fastwebnet.it

45. Slavik
    August 1st, 2009 at 20:14 | #45

Вся Россия с нетерпением ждёт Avast 5 !
    Russian Federation is waiting !

46. virus!!!
    August 2nd, 2009 at 10:35 | #46

i have bought my avastPRO license key and then i used it for more than half a year but now avast say im using illegal license key!!!!

i thought that vince steckler start it all because when he was join alwil there’s many wrong!!!!!

47. gustav
    August 2nd, 2009 at 10:56 | #47

have this version of avast a firewall pro integrated

48. vlk
    August 2nd, 2009 at 16:42 | #48

virus!!! :

If you believe your (legal) license has been blacklisted by mistake, please get in touch with our sales team (sales at avast dot com).

49. vlk
    August 2nd, 2009 at 16:49 | #49

gustav :
    have this version of avast a firewall pro integrated

As stated with the article, there will be a free AV (no firewall), a paid AV (no firewall) and a suite (with a firewall).

50. vlk
    August 2nd, 2009 at 16:55 | #50

wonder76 :

There are no known issues/conflicts between Avast and ZoneAlarm free firewall.