July 20th, 2009

avast! 5 is coming… soon!

After a long time of keeping everything in secret, I’m glad that I can now disclose some preliminary information about the upcoming avast! version 5. The first thing to note is that the product is coming relatively soon. Namely, we’re currently planning to release it this October.

The product will be offered in three flavors: a free AV (that will supersede avast! 4.8 Home Edition), a paid AV (successor of avast! Professional Edition) and a full Internet Security suite. As usual, all customers (or users) with a valid avast! subscription will get a free upgrade to this new version.

The free AV will, of course, contain all the features from the existing Home Edition, plus a couple of new extras (I’ll be sharing more details on the blog as time goes by). The paid AV now includes a new virtualization module as well as all the features from the free AV and features previously exclusive to avast! 4.8 Pro. And finally, the suite adds an antispam and firewall module and will thus provide you with a complete, worry-free protection.

All three products will share the same antivirus engine (e.g. all of them will still have exactly same detection rates) that has been substantially improved and optimized. It may sound like a cliché, but it’s a fact: the new engine can detect more viruses, while actually consuming less resources.

The performance optimizations were not confined to the AV engine only; the program now uses various tricks to feel as light as possible and to not interfere with your work in any way. For example, we have radically improved the time it takes the computer to boot, making the slowdown imposed by avast! almost unnoticeable. I’ll be very interested in getting some feedback from you on this one (as soon as you get a chance to test it – please read on).

Starting with version 5, avast! now officially supports heuristics (proactive detection), although between me and you, many of the stuff has already been present in the previous versions – but we haven’t marketed it in any way. Also, detection of Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) has been added. Additionally, version 5 includes a new code emulator (or in fact, a dynamic translation module, to be technically correct) that will be of great help e.g. when unpacking malware samples packed/protected by unknown packers (as is the case pretty often).

All three products also feature a new user interface which has been completely redesigned for this new version. We’re abandoning the dual (simple vs. enhanced) UI model and replacing it with a single comfortable console, designed for both novice and experienced users. I’m attaching a couple of screenshots to give you an idea of what the product actually looks like.

File System Shield (formerly "Standard Shield")

File System Shield (formerly "Standard Shield")

File System Shield Settings

File System Shield Settings

Scan page

Scan page

Scan Settings

Scan Settings

Shield Statistics

Shield Statistics

Virus notification

Virus notification

The beta testing of avast! 5 will start in a couple of weeks (roughly by the end of July / beginning of August), so if you are interested to give it a try, please check back soon as I’ll be posting the details here on the blog as well as on our forums.

Categories: Technology Tags:
  1. Denise
    July 23rd, 2009 at 18:22 | #1

I have been using avast for years now and I recomend it to all my friends. Most of them used Norton antivirus and they had a lot of complaints abouts and how it slowed their pc’s down and how it always was a trial version on a new computer. Now everyone is so happy with the free home edition of avast and I hear no more complaints. Thank you for your good work and we look forward to the new avast 5!!!!

2. malcolm husaband
    July 23rd, 2009 at 18:40 | #2

I n
    have been usins avast for a number of years i would recomend it to all my friends, and work collegues it has been a joy to use in the past and i have not had any trouble with it .

3. spider 1949
    July 23rd, 2009 at 18:45 | #3

I have been using avast for a number of years, and would recomend it to friends and collegues at work also. The other thing i was going to tell you I realy enjoyed the was avast performs in clearing all the viruses before it can damage the computer system.

4. BHARAT BHATNAGAR
    July 23rd, 2009 at 19:12 | #4

will avast 5 incorporate behaviral analysis of any sort? will it be HIPS or something like Threatfire?

5. Idiotghost
    July 23rd, 2009 at 20:26 | #5

Congrats to the upcoming version 5 (the GUI looks simply fab). I have been using Avast since last few months and in my opinion “Its the best AV out there” in all probability (I have used a few industry leading AV’s in the past). Keep up the good work.

But I had detected one very glaring loophole in Avast’s armour. Somehow for whatever strange reasons Avast couldnt get rid of autorun.inf virus from 2 different infected USB’s I had got from my freind. The autorun.inf virus kept hitting my pc every 2-3 seconds and inspite of quarantining and/or deleting it, the virus kept coming back again and again!!!

I did some research on net and found that autorun.inf is a common virus transmitted through infected pen drives and most AV’s have a hard time with it!!!

Its a frank question to the Avast Mods: Why Avast couldnt get rid of Autorun.inf
    virus?

Thanks

6. Xelan
    July 23rd, 2009 at 20:54 | #6

I’ve been a long-time fan of Avast ever since a certain other free AV solution let me down last year. I recommend Avast to all my friends and co-workers. You have made an excellent product. I’ve never been a fan of software that looks for P.U.P.s as I think it isn’t what AV software should be doing and it borders on feature creep. I do hope it will either be disabled by default or easy to turn off completely. Other forums seem to complain that Avast is resource intensive, but that has not been my experience. You deserve congratulations for keeping Avast comprehensive, but not bloated. Please don’t follow the way of some of the other big name AV companies.

As for autorun.inf viruses, they’re hard to deal with because autorun.inf is usually a legitimate file used to auto start things on removable media (e.g. Shockwave menus). The problem occurs when you get a malicious autorun.inf with hidden malicious program on your flash drive. Very tricky stuff.

7. janis ozols
    July 23rd, 2009 at 20:57 | #7

when will be latvian language?

8. John
    July 23rd, 2009 at 22:29 | #8

I prefer to use keyboard shortcuts (Alt T, etc) rather than the mouse. Avast 4.8 Home makes this possible if one doesn’t use any skins. Will Avast 5 allow the option of similar shortcuts? I hope so.

9. July 24th, 2009 at 03:15 | #9

這次挺好啊,沒把個殺軟界面搞得跟媒體播放器一樣。

10. July 24th, 2009 at 03:17 | #10

This time very good, has not killed the soft contact surface to do is the same with the media player.

11. xiaojizhu0
    July 24th, 2009 at 03:45 | #11

It’s give me glad to here. I wait it, and thinks.

12. July 24th, 2009 at 05:02 | #12

Avast is my preferred AV product. I’m glad to see you have a new version coming out. The GUI looks so much better than what you have now and will make it even easier for me to endorse this product. Keep up the good work!

13. jone
    July 24th, 2009 at 07:18 | #13

漂亮,一出来就试用!!

14. Wo Shi Tian Cai
    July 24th, 2009 at 07:24 | #14

I have wait avast!5.0 for a long time.Thanks goodness,it will comeout in October.I hope avast!Home edition will control a firewall.

15. Wo Shi Tian Cai
    July 24th, 2009 at 07:28 | #15

5.0真的很漂亮,avast!终于从播放器中解脱了。中国很多avast!home版的用户都希望免费版也能包含防火墙与主动防御。

16. July 24th, 2009 at 08:22 | #16

Dun mind that i ask you this question, it’s avast 5.0 free av got anti spyware?

17. orz
    July 24th, 2009 at 08:23 | #17

期待avast!5.0,希望中文版也一样精彩。
    ps.这么多同胞,都是来自卡饭吧。。。

18. Wo Shi Tian Cai
    July 24th, 2009 at 16:15 | #18

avast!4.8免费版的兼容性希望在5.0能有所改善。尤其是与China的software能和平相处,For example,360安全卫士,Tencent QQ 2009.我用360安全卫士被曝误杀,我用QQ2009与avast!Home时系统常常不稳定。总之,希望兼容性更好。

19. hazem
    July 24th, 2009 at 18:46 | #19

@Denise
    انا سعيد جدا بكل الاصدارات الجديدة للامام دائما انشاء اللّة

20. PB
    July 24th, 2009 at 20:08 | #20

Will Avast 5 home have the boot time scan available for Win XP 64bit OS?

21. vlk
    July 24th, 2009 at 20:12 | #21

PB :
    Will Avast 5 home have the boot time scan available for Win XP 64bit OS?

Please see here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=47026.0

22. jeffry
    July 24th, 2009 at 21:09 | #22

23. jeffry
    July 24th, 2009 at 21:13 | #23

jeffry :(answer for Idiotghost)I have problem like that before on my friend laptop, have you try thorough scan it can help you because done it before.

24. jeffry
    July 24th, 2009 at 21:27 | #24

to Idiotghost have try thorough scan it can help you, for avast look forward on avast 5 i like it n i recommend to my friend & family because is unique n different from other when updating

25. Garry R Ricketts
    July 24th, 2009 at 23:57 | #25

Very impressed by Avast5 GUI and your (new) news Blog!I do not have to praise Avast as you already know it is the best!I will say though, it is the only AV that I myself/family and friends will use, Period!I do however hope that Avast5 will have support for 64-bit Boot Time Scan.Reason I ask is because I will be using Microsoft’s new OS Windows7 in October 22nd/2009.I plan to upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit system.I do have an additional question?Is the launch of Avast5 in October in any way to correspond with Windows7 launch by Microsoft in October as well?Cheers!

26. Thosj
    July 25th, 2009 at 01:43 | #26

I am a fan of Avast for a long time and I’m looking forward to seeing your newest Avast 5 in October. Keep up the good work. Your loyal customer, Thosj.

27. SuperTom
    July 25th, 2009 at 04:49 | #27

嘿嘿,俺是精睿的
    Waiting for avast!5.0

28. Mark China
    July 25th, 2009 at 05:05 | #28

I am waiting for avast!5.0,too.

29. Mark China
    July 25th, 2009 at 05:11 | #29

希望avast!5.0在绚丽的外表下,有个更强的核。同时更适应 China 的环境。兼容性比4.8更上一层楼。

30. Wo Shi Tian Cai
    July 25th, 2009 at 05:49 | #30

Can avast!5.0 works with windows7 ?

31. Veronica
    July 25th, 2009 at 07:39 | #31

ОГО, вот это да!

Oh, I hope my current skin (black vibe by szcraftec from Sasha Zivanovic-Craftec) will work with the new Avast!-5.0 Beauty plays a major role and to be honest… I don’t really like the look of new User Interface. I prefer the simple/complex option. It gave the customer/user more choices in terms of appearence and design. If not… I may take my anti-virus business elsewhere…

ФУ!!! (Извините…)
    Спасибо, Вероника Ирис Торо

32. July 25th, 2009 at 08:02 | #32

这次avast的界面蛮好看的,至少觉得比瑞星啊,还要好看一点哦!呵呵,准备用他咯!呵呵,这预览版哪里好下载啊?像金山的预览版都是开放下载的,期待中!支持avast

33. Audibert Roger
    July 25th, 2009 at 08:50 | #33

Utilisateur d’Avast depuis environ 5 ans, je suis satisfais particulièrement diversent des améliorations des versions successives. j’attend avec impatience la nouvelle version 5.

34. Simoncito
    July 25th, 2009 at 10:36 | #34

This new version of Avast sounds very good, I’m very exited to have it working soon. Nice joob Avast, you guys are cool. I wich you all luck.

35. July 25th, 2009 at 11:19 | #35

Great news Avast is i think the lowest overhead of any of the antivirus suites. Thats why w switched from Norton to CA and then finally to Avast. The others had such a impact on computer speed and memory. Everyone in the office was complaining so that you even made it leaner is welcome news. I would be interested in beta testing were can i apply.

36. Chetzz
    July 25th, 2009 at 14:05 | #36

wow mindblowing great job and i think that with that avast users will increase as many people look at interface and not detection and with heuristic i hpe avast beat them all:P

37. Mark.C
    July 25th, 2009 at 15:03 | #37

卡巴斯基2010已经使用第二代主动防御了,希望avast!5.0的主动防御不要太差。

38. July 25th, 2009 at 16:21 | #38

hi…..avast! 5 is coming… soon!

39. Miguel Angel
    July 25th, 2009 at 16:23 | #39

I’ve been using avast for a copuple of years and I guess I’m a loyal costumer of avast! also I’ve been active in the forums as MiguelAngelXP

I like the new GUI, so my congrats!!

40. Bob Fister
    July 25th, 2009 at 16:36 | #40

I am an instructor on computers for senor citizens. My question is I use Avast to show them the best AV. Will version 5 be more difficult to use than the current version?

41. July 25th, 2009 at 16:59 | #41

avast! 5 is coming… soon!

42. Warlock
    July 25th, 2009 at 17:42 | #42

I Love Avast. It saved me from many Nasty Virus’s. Keep up the good work.
    Thank you Avast….

43. July 26th, 2009 at 04:24 | #43

Thank you very very much for your Avast HE, but:

——— WHERE FIREWALL ? —————

Avast HE would be the best free AV it had a firewall.

44. jerrick
    July 26th, 2009 at 08:51 | #44

your anti-virus really rockz it does not slow my computer performance not like other anti-virus… the performance also is awesome cant wait to have that new version again..
    but will i buy it again if i had a 4.8 prof edition?

45. jerrick
    July 26th, 2009 at 08:53 | #45

I had also problems with avast just two!!! It cant remove or detect autorun and password_viewer..

46. Gizbar
    July 26th, 2009 at 09:30 | #46

@Veronica
    A little bit daft don’t you think? Cancelling your subscription to an Antivirus package because you don’t like the way it looks? Surely the virus protection it offers is more important than the way it looks on your screen. I have used Avast for approx 4-5 years now after I had problems installing my last provider on my new (at that time) computer. I have had a couple of problems with it but for the most part, it is excellent. I keep a couple of backup tools around, so that I don’t use the same database all the time, and my virus problems are minimal.

47. andrew kidd
    July 26th, 2009 at 10:57 | #47

have been using avast for years and have told everyone to use it as it is the best anti-virus out there, cant wait for the new version 5 to come out and would be happy to try the new beta version .

keep up the great work
    thanks
    andrew kidd

48. Alex
    July 26th, 2009 at 14:02 | #48

Hello,

I hope Avast 5.0 ‘ll be released in a beta version as soon as possible :)

Perhaps end July??
    Can you give us an approximative date pls?

Thanks a good work ;)

49. July 26th, 2009 at 15:01 | #49

Hopefully this time avast version 5 is foolproof from cyber pests.Last time I used it was inadequate to protect cyber threats as despite its installation my machine was hijacked and had no option but install & format.Time will tell.

50. ponis