With avast! SecureLine for Android, you can securely use your smartphones and tablets on unsecure WiFi networks while traveling or in your favorite cafe. Those of you who live in parts of world without access to foreign services and restricted content (Netflix, Pandora, etc.) will now have a solution to their problem with avast! SecureLine. Best of all, beta testers will exclusively get a one month subscription for FREE!
Try it out and give us your feedback! We’ll be working hard to bring you the best possible product.
Please note this important open beta information:
- Only 2 servers, New York and London, will be available during the beta. The full release will include more around the world.
- Exclusive 1-month free subscription for beta testers. The standard free trial will be 7 days after the beta closure.
- avast! SecureLine runs on Android 4.0 and higher
How to install:
1. Join our beta Google+ group at https://plus.google.com/communities/112394513906169233317
2. Click on the avast! SecureLine (beta) link on this page https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.avast.android.vpn. Once you (the user) join, the link will become active and you can opt-in.
3. Click on “Become a tester”.
4. Download through Google Play on your device OR install directly from Google Play website.avast! SecureLine for Android has an open beta, and you are invited to join!
Yesterday, several companies had their websites hijacked by pro-Palestinian hackers. We can confirm that there was also a hacker attempt against the AVAST site – we assume from the same group – but we took immediate steps and therefore were able to contain it.
According to published reports, the hacked companies’ accounts, used to manage their DNS records at their vendor, Network Solutions, have been reset. This allowed the hackers to take control of the websites in question. It’s unlikely that any of the sites that were attacked lost control of any of their own servers, so customer data most likely was not compromised.
“We ourselves received a notification from Network Solutions saying our email had been changed. We knew we had not requested that so we immediately took action and changed our passwords, which protected us,” said Vincent Steckler, AVAST CEO
Stay cyber aware when company accounts get hacked
Hackers have been busy recently– Adobe announced on Thursday that it has been the target of a major security breach in which sensitive and personal data about millions of its customers have been put at risk.
If you get a notification from an online provider that your email address or a password was changed – no matter if it’s from your bank, an online shop, or any other online site – and you didn’t request these changes, you need to take steps to protect yourself by immediately changing your passwords for these sites.
Whether on business travel or vacation, you don’t want to worry about the security of your devices when you connect to the internet. Using a WiFi network in a café, airport, or hotel is a serious security risk that requires additional protection to secure your data and computer.
avast! SecureLine VPN is now completely integrated into all of AVAST’s free and premium products. Here’s the top 6 reasons why you should use avast! SecureLine VPN:
1. Hides your data from thieves – avast! SecureLine VPN encrypts your public WiFi communications. That means that someone snooping on you will see a bunch of gibberish instead of your email, files, passwords, etc.
2. Keeps eavesdroppers from listening to your VOIP calls – avast! SecureLine VPN makes your voice or video conversations through the internet using Skype or Viber, for example, safe and secure by encrypting your conversation. This allows you to talk to people without fear of being eavesdropped on by cybercrooks, your ISP, and even the government! Read more…
This summer, lots of us will be chilling out by the pool at hotels around the world, surfing the Internet and checking email. Along with a burger and fries, 11,500 McDonalds are now serving up free WiFi so customers can access the Internet using their laptops, smartphones, or tablets at no charge. You can sip a refreshing iced mocha at Starbucks and access free WiFi with no subscription required, no password, and no time limit.
This trend is expanding to more restaurants, cafes and hotels globally, and people are using it. AVAST conducted a survey of our global users and more than 340,000 people responded. Half of PC users in the US (50%) connect via public WiFi, and worldwide, 46% use unsecured open WiFi. Read more…
Do you use your mobile device to check email, use social networks or log in to your bank account while sipping a double mocha latte at your favorite coffee shop or while waiting for your next flight? That’s risky considering you cannot count on public Wi-Fi hotspots that you find in cafes, coffee shops, airports, schools, and hotels to be secure. Remote cybercrooks, and even the guy sitting a couple of tables from you sipping coffee, can use software to eavesdrop and snoop which could result in stolen credit card information and passwords or full-blown identify theft.
With new avast! SecureLine for iOS you can secure your wireless internet connection when using your iPad, iPhone, or iPod on a Public/Open Wi-Fi network. Here’s how it works:
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. avast! SecureLine VPN creates a private ‘tunnel’ through the internet for your data to travel through, and everything inbound and outbound through the tunnel is encrypted. Data is decoded at the VPN server, using advanced encryption protocols. Handy features also detect and filter malicious URLs, block ads in the browser and apps, or can compress your transferred data which saves your mobile data plan and enables access to US-only content.