Not long after I started at AVAST, I started hearing about Martin as “the guy” capable of handling almost anything language or support related. We connected quickly, I think, because of similar backgrounds (in music and education) and responsibilities (kids and work). Whenever possible, I try to join him for vegetarian lunches a few minutes from our office, and I’m hoping we’ll soon make it into a recording studio to get some of his tasty (jazzy) Fender Rhodes keyboard riffs added to a couple of my songs-in-progress. –Jason Mashak
1. How does the ability to communicate in roughly half a dozen tongues shape your ‘official’ job function at AVAST?
The fact that I can communicate in several languages means that I can easily fill the ‘holes’ wherever needed. So when someone takes a holiday, I can easily jump in and take over the work in his or her (native) language. I’m not only doing tech support, but also sales and, if really necessary, I can do some work for other departments, like editing datasheets in other languages or dealing with unique customer issues. And of course, a big part of my work consists of translating (mostly technical) documents (where my background as a former physics teacher of course helps a lot concerning the technical aspect). So actually, I’m officially in tech support, but much of the time doing other things.
2. In terms of tech support, what are some of the strangest inquiries that you’ve encountered? Read more…
My interactions with Jitka have been brief – she is a no-nonsense kind of person, and so you’ll almost never see her having a chat at the coffee machine. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen her in one place for longer than a few seconds, unless she has to sit for a meeting or at her desk. At AVAST for almost 5 years, Jitka oversees the interactions between AVAST Software and our business partners around the globe. I of course had to interview her via email, as I doubt she’d ever have time to meet with me. –Jason Mashak
1. Would you say that AVAST Software partners basically enable avast! users to have contacts and support in their own regions and languages, or is it not so simple?
To make it clear from the beginning, our business partners focus on the corporate and SMB segments rather than on home users. When potential customers make contact, our local partners only have a few minutes to establish trust and credibility. Fortunately, combining one of the best-known antivirus brands with our partners’ sales skills and marketing activities has been a simple and effective strategy for this.
Our business partners help alleviate fear of fraud, provide support in the local language(s), design or implement customized deployments, etc., enabling companies searching for an antivirus product to put their trust in avast!
2. How do avast! business partners help contribute to the direction of avast! products or services? Read more…
We have noticed that many people are posting technical or sales questions as blog comments. While we really want to help everyone, it is difficult to do it through the blog. So please, if you have questions about the product or sales, you can get much quicker and better assistance through our support center and forums.
- support.avast.com - the support page should be your first stop with any avast! questions. It contains already prepared answers to the most commonly asked questions: how to install avast!, inserting the license key, and combining avast! with other security programs. The support page is the place to register and submit tickets directly to us for your technical and licensing issues.
- forum.avast.com - avast! support forum is the place where you can find more detailed information about avast! and discuss your issues with developers and other avast! users. This is the place for information about virus removal, infected scripts in websites and features in the new 5.0.