You’ve probably seen applications for generating passwords. For those who have not, this is how the process actually works:
- application for generating passwords is downloaded
- user runs the application and presses the “generate” button
- a string appears that looks something like this: I8kjH9s&ER1()G
- this string is used as a password for his Mail / Facebook / Twitter / …
And now, the user has two options:
- he’ll forget his new password immediately
- to ensure that the new password is not forgotten, he’ll write it down on a sticker and put it on the computer monitor. If the user has other computer-generated passwords, he will place this “my email” sticker on top of the existing stickers.
So what’s the deal? Why am I telling you this? Because in a moment, we’re going to learn how to create secure passwords – and you’ll see that you are going to change passwords more often than you have previously. Because creating passwords can be fun.