At AVAST we work hard to improve your security and privacy. Mobile malware is increasing. If you aren’t yet convinced that this is an issue, please read the latest blog from the avast! Virus Lab, How are you doing Mr. Android?
Nowadays, besides the traditional way to get money – sending premium SMS – the collection of personal info and browsing habits are also trending. How do cybercrooks monetize this data? Managing the ads that are shown in your smartphone or tablet, suggesting apps, sending offers by email or displaying them in-apps.
If you use avast! Mobile Security, then you can run a Privacy Advisor scan to categorize all the apps in your device:
- Collect location information: Because of their nature, some apps need to capture your location. These would be GPS navigation tools, outdoor sports tracking and weather apps, for example. Some of them do it for statistical reasons. However, the majority of them do it just to customize local (targeted) ads.
- Collect device or mobile network information: Some apps use the device info for developer and statistical reasons. Your mobile network info is also captured.
- Collect user behavior data inside the app: This data are mostly useful for the developers as they adjust and customize their own apps according to their customers’ use, and to separate free from paid features.
- Show in-app banner advertisements: This is an annoyance. Impatient users could drop the use of the app due to this kind of ad.
- Show in-app full-screen advertisements: This is a huge annoyance and if it occurs, it is an invitation to uninstall the app. This is why the developers only show them a few times while the app is running Read more…