Love is in the air! People are going out to buy boxes of chocolates and flowers for their loved ones, preparing for romantic dinners, and some are hoping that a secret admirer will confess their love. Some seek help from the Internet to make Valentine’s Day as romantic as possible and since many people check their emails first thing in the morning, spammers and other cybercriminals see this as the perfect opportunity to attack.
The ILOVEYOU virus from 2000 did just that, although it was sent on May 5th, not on Valentine’s Day. The virus, a computer worm also referred to as “Love Letter,” originated from the Philippines and was sent via email with the subject line “ILOVEYOU.” The virus went viral when users opened the “LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.txt.vbs” attachment included in the email. The opening of the attachment activated the viral basic script, damaging the user’s computer, overwriting image files, and sending copies of itself to addresses in the user’s Microsoft Outlook address book. The virus reached the U.S. on Friday morning, just as people were checking their emails. Since it was sent from someone they knew, and we didn’t have the collective experience of viral spam yet, people trusted the email and opened the attachment. Perhaps they were excited to receive a love letter?
The AVAST Free for Education team is excited to be attending FETC 2014 in Orlando, Florida for the first time! As part of our preparations we’ve been making an essentials packing list, which we thought we’d share with you…
- Comfy spring clothes We checked the weather report and were excited to see that it’s going to be warmer than the snow we have in Europe at the moment. No winter coats for us.
- Suitable shoes We know that there will be plenty of walking and standing, possibly some skipping too (depends on our mood), super comfy shoes are one of our “must-have” items!
- DEODORANT The days at the conference will be long, so we want to smell our best at all times!
- Toothbrush and toothpaste We don’t want to scare any of our booth visitors off and plan on showing off our pearly whites as much as possible.
- Passport/Identification We won’t name names, but we’ve seen first-hand how an out of date passport can pretty much render you useless for an international business trip
- Currency Maybe you don’t have to worry about converting your money, but we sure are looking forward to carrying around some green “Benjamins” (okay, maybe more like some “Andrews”, and “Alexanders”)
- Itinerary We’ve downloaded the FETC app, which we think is especially useful for planning your exhibition schedule (don’t forget to put booth #356 on your schedule!)
Conference essentials Read more…
We are proud to announce that AVAST has been named best large-size company employer in the Czech Republic by global HR consulting and outsourcing firm, AON Hewitt.
The annual study’s results were evaluated based on the HR policies of the companies, as well as feedback from their employees and leaders. AVAST excelled in all attributes of the study, scoring above 80% in each category. The categories of the study are: engagement rate, trustworthy leadership, high performance culture, attractive employer brand and sustainability. With these high marks AVAST beat MICROSOFT s.r.o and SAP ČR, spol. s.r.o. for first place.
AVAST scored an impressive 89% in engagement, 49% more than the Czech average. According to AON Hewitt, company engagement is a key influencing factor in the final ranking, and reflects the employee’s intense desire to be a member of the company, their consistency in speaking positively of the company overall and the extra effort and engagement in their work that contributes to the success of the business.
Kamila Stěpánková, our HR Director, commented:
I am extremely proud that AVAST has been named best employer. The entire company constantly works together to maintain the extraordinary company culture the founders established 25 years ago, which gives employees freedom in completing their tasks and flexible working hours. The employees have the opportunity to contribute to the most trusted antivirus software program in the world, a product that protects 200 million users, that is both a huge honor and responsibility that makes their daily work interesting and compelling.
If you would like to become apart of AVAST’s team, please visit the AVAST’s careers page to see if there is an available position for which you are qualified for.