October 23rd, 2012

New avast! program update [7.0.1473] is here!

Today, we have released a brand new avast! program update, version number 7.0.1473. It’s the last program update we plan to do before version 8 (slated for Q1 2013). I’d like to take this opportunity and explain some of its new features.

First and foremost, the new version is fully compatible with Windows 8 – scheduled to finally hit the stores this Friday. The changes we have made went well beyond just making sure everything works. For example, we had to replace the internals of the Network and Web Shields to accommodate the new networking APIs in Windows 8. Also, we had to make sure avast! plays nicely with the new Windows Security Center and that it correctly handles certain scenarios that are new to Windows 8.

This version of avast! will shortly be officially certified with the Windows 8 Compatible logo, and will be included in the new Windows Store.

In this new version, we also rewritten big portions of the avast! browser and MS Outlook plugins. The plugins now use a new optimized API to communicate with our backend infrastructure (for example, to enable the WebRep, anti-phishing and SiteCorrect features) and should be more stable than the previous versions. For your information, we will be further extending these plugins in the upcoming avast v8.

Besides the plugins, we did major improvements to the avast! autosandbox module, which is now even more capable of classifying malicious files and isolating them from the rest of the operating system. During the course of the last 6 months, we have made substantial investments to the autosandbox module and it has now become one of the key components of the overall avast protection strategy. I plan to cover some of the details of how the autosandbox works in one of my future blog posts.

Equally important are the enhancements and upgrades we have recently done to our backend systems. These include the FileRep engine as well as the “Scavenger” system used by our virus analysts to work with samples. These enhancements allow us to process incoming samples much faster and deliver new detections to our users very quickly (thanks to our Streaming update technology).

Last but not least, this new update contains a good number of bug fixes, optimizations and performance improvements that will hopefully make version 7.0.1473 the best avast version to date.

The new version is available immediately. Existing users can get it by invoking the Program Update feature from within the avast! user interface. New users can it by downloading it from the avast! website.

Enjoy!

Categories: Technology Tags:
  1. October 24th, 2012 at 20:33 | #1

Is Auto Sandbox any better at behavior analysis now? Also care to explain a bit more about this “Scavenger” system?

2. cmc304
    October 24th, 2012 at 21:20 | #2

We always disbled Auto Sandbox because customers were confused when it was activated.

I’m writing because last night my Avast Summary page said: Update to new program version 7.01.1466. I did, rebooted and the monitor showed a backlit black screen with only the mouse movable. No graphics, text.. nothing.

I ended up restoring my computer to the night before and was fine.

Today it says new program available again, same number as last night. I notice this page says 7.0.1473. How can I download that instead of what’s showing on the summary page?

3. cmc304
    October 24th, 2012 at 21:22 | #3

RejZor, I should have stated what’s in my profile: I worked at a computer repair shop for 5 or 6 years mainly removing spyware, malware and viruses and convinced 99% of our customers that Avast is the best.

4. October 26th, 2012 at 18:32 | #4

“New users can it by downloading it from the avast! website.”

I think that sentence needs re-wording a little bit…. :-P

5. Dang Anh Duc
    October 27th, 2012 at 12:21 | #5

Have problem with this version and Winamp on Windows 8, i’m running Windows 8 and Winamp normally but after install this version on it Winamp v5.63 just playing music 2 minutes and then it’s responding Winamp Windows ~ What’s wrong ?

6. cedejane
    October 29th, 2012 at 05:04 | #6

I recently had windows 8 preview on my PC with avast on it which work great no problems. now Oct 26 i bought windows 8 license and I installed avast but soon as its done installing my PC needs to restart with error Irql_Not_Less_or_Equal” Error Message with aswnet.sys . and also with avast on PC every time i try to install any other software my PC will restart and that error pops up forcing my PC to restart. this happens with avast installed but nothing after you uninstall avast PC seems to work fine. i’m upset i have always use avast seen windows me…. please fix and yes the avast is up to date. my PC is hp touch smart 420 windows 8 pro…. I don’t feel my PC is protected with out avast. I miss avast…

7. rkhammack
    October 31st, 2012 at 21:31 | #7

How can I transfer my Avast antivirus program to my new computer from my old computer, and still keep my original contract? Anyone has any suggestions?