November 9th, 2011

New AVAST-launched forum on CNET

Maybe you noticed that we have launched an avast! manufacturer’s forum on CNET.com. Please note that it is not intended to replace our long-standing avast! Forum (forum.avast.com), which will continue to be our main forum. Nonetheless, there is a huge community around CNET.com/download.com, of which many within the community are already avast! users. We are doing our best to be closer to our community and to help in the several main places they go for help. CNET members can find the CNET avast forum at http://forums.cnet.com/avast-forum

1. Rednose
    November 9th, 2011 at 17:59 | #1

I am very curious who is going to help there ?

- CNET Moderators ? They don’t know the product(s).
    - Avast Software employees ? They don’t even have enough time for the main forum.
    - Avast Evangelists ? So far most of them think this is a bad idea, and won’t sign up on CNET.

Also there is no link on CNET to the main forum, and you are not allowed to link to it. Maybe that is the first thing that has to change !

Greetz, Red.

2. November 9th, 2011 at 18:19 | #2

I’m with Rednose on this one. Crumbling down support sites is a bad idea. I have no intention to register on yet another page and i think most of others share the same opinion. I even have second thoughts on registering for other avast! services. It would be nice if they were covered by a single unified login (for Knowledge base, forums, brainstorming site etc). In the end i don’t care if it’s there or not as i won’t be visiting it but what exactly will be the benefit, i don’t know.

3. Tech
    November 9th, 2011 at 18:58 | #3

Strong reaction here and there on forums.
    I’m not against other support channels.
    But quality is essential imho.

4. DavidR
    November 9th, 2011 at 19:56 | #4

These are just some of the things that concerned me about this cnet forum, who is going to support it. Worse still cnet moderators responding having zero experience of avast products and even incorrectly recommending an OP to use Eset (because the user thought win2k isn’t supported in avast6, wrong).

All this aside from cnet getting panned recently because of its action in bundling other product (junk) with its download manager.

Someone who thought this would be a good idea needs to start monitoring it as so far its pants. Strong words, but I call it as I see it and there is no way those who help on the official avast forums can devote time to cnet without lessening the time they spend helping at the official avast forums and diluting that support.

5. Tech
    November 9th, 2011 at 22:30 | #5

I agree that more devotion to the official site won’t hurt :)

6. wpn
    November 10th, 2011 at 22:57 | #6

Seems on this one the Evangelists are the only ones replying. Notice how in other blogpostings, non-evangelists reply positively and here none…. (hint?)
    I am with the rest above me on this one as i also posted on the facebook posting and in the forum from Avast.

Why is quantity more important the quality? In the thread on the forum several examples are already mentioned for bad support on the CNET forum.
    I know the free product needs to generate income from somewhere, but with bad support you only cut away your legs slowly from underneath yourself. Now you may see users grow and income grow from that, but when they realize that the support they are looking for is from low quality, people will leave nomather how good the product is.

Instead of opening another forum, put SPECIAL support people on the avast forum to deliver support (i seem to keep repeating myself on this one). That way the techs dont need to roam on the forums and people get GOOD support. Now they get lousy answers from people that dont even know what they are talking about because they dont know the products at all, besides the first part of the name (avast).

I cant believe that a big player like Vincent S. agreed to this bad idea.

7. philipsinbox
    November 11th, 2011 at 19:48 | #7

What kind of support would somebody need for a antivirus anti-rootkit anti-spyware anti-spam sandbox built in firewall point and click product! oh and with a built in index help centre. If I could remember my 101 different passwords for every website I visit I would have left a message.

Too much work I’m becoming so critical and it suits me.

Just purchased another network storage device. Netgear stora 2-bay.

Not my channel…

8. November 15th, 2011 at 09:14 | #8

Rednose :
    I am very curious who is going to help there ?
    - CNET Moderators ? They don’t know the product(s).
    Greetz, Red.

I agreed with Erick, the most important things how we keep into the depth but not thinks width first…..avast forum it self doesn’t have a good respond for some critical question even my question….

cheers,
    Yanto Chiang

9. November 17th, 2011 at 01:17 | #9

philipsinbox :

That is one of the best questions I’ve seen in more than a year of working at AVAST :D

Gentlemen, thank you very much for the feedback. We’re trying new things, based on demand and available resources. If something we try doesn’t work, we try other things. In any successful (long-term) enterprise, it’s not only the software itself that starts off in ‘beta’. ;)