January 21st, 2011

No advertising. Just recommendations.

I have to admit, this is the first marketing job I have ever had where – surprisingly – I don’t have any advertising budget.     Shocking to some (especially to those who try to sell us some air space) but no AVAST does not pay for any advertising.    Sadly for me that means there are no creative briefs, no castings, no posh creative agencies and their production meetings, no trips abroad for location selections.  On the upside for me,  I will not lose my hair or its color trying to plan marketing campaigns in the 200 or so countries and territories where we have our users.

On the upside for AVAST, not paying for advertising saves rather substantial amount of money that could be invested into the product and technologies.   Let me put this into perspective. According to media monitoring, Symantec, McAfee, AVG, Kaspersky and others have invested $50.3 million (!) into advertising in USA alone in 2009.   (Note:  data for complete 2010 are not yet available).

Our advertising is our product:   avast! Free Antivirus.  We believe people will use it, like it and tell their friends about it.     It‘s great because it works indeed.    Ongoing, 67% of all avast! users claim they use the product because it was recommended to them by their friends.    With the recommendation, they go directly to our website or – in about half of the cases – they search on Google and go to avast.com from there.

We have a company board meeting next week and I was preparing several charts for the presentation.      There is no harm if you see one of charts first ;)

It shows weekly evolution of Google search for the main antivirus brand names from 2004 to end of 2010. The orange bar is avast! and it reached 26% of all searches.  That means,  1 out of 4 users looking for new antivirus is searching for avast! instead of the other brands.    Not bad without paid advert…

Nice weekend to all!

Categories: Marketing, Uncategorized Tags:
  1. Tech
    January 21st, 2011 at 18:46 | #1

Very good model!
    Can we have access (afterwards) to the meetings’ presentations?
    Not all of avast Evangelists would be there :’(

2. January 21st, 2011 at 18:53 | #2

Well, I just tell my friends, “just give it a try”, then the next day they would say they love avast! :)

3. Jeff
    January 21st, 2011 at 20:02 | #3

It also looks like 2010 was the first time avast! was the most frequently searched for antivirus product. Congratulations!

4. john dear
    January 21st, 2011 at 22:25 | #4

lets hope you will keep it up… anyway there has to be some kind of level after which you cannot grow… (that is the number of overall computers in the world, right?) moving to india or china sounds like good idea :oD

5. Bruce Patterson
    January 22nd, 2011 at 06:22 | #5

I have been using AVG for years. I heard of Avast a few years ago but did not see a need to unistall AVG. Well, AVG has grown to be a resource hog. I got tired of the incredible slow down to my machine and decided to give Avast a try. After about two months, I just got home with my computer after Avast had redered it unusable and unrecoverable. The ordeal cost me a whole day of not working and $60.00 to a technician to get my computer to reboot again. I think I will take Avast off of all 6 computers that I have running at the house and try something else.

6. Jason Mashak
    January 24th, 2011 at 14:11 | #6

@Bruce Patterson
    How do you figure that using avast! for two months render your PC unusable? How do you connect these two things? You say you were already having problems with your machine BEFORE switching to avast. I’m confused.

7. Clint
    January 26th, 2011 at 06:26 | #7

HI I liked avast so much recommened avast free to my step dad, my sister they have all tried avast free and like it. I have been using avast for about 7 years now I used avast 4.8 on my Windows 98 computer for a couple of years. Now I am using avast 5.0 on windows Vista home basic.
    Great job avast
    keep up the great work

8. sharif
    February 16th, 2011 at 15:51 | #8

Hi i have external hard disk way i use avast scan can’t find the virus at my laptop
    and i use my desktop scan use avg can find virus