July 7th, 2010

Are you a nerd?

I’m really impressed how perfectly our user community works! A new web-based attack was discovered today and our users made a detailed analysis promptly and helped to clarify what’s going on there. What I’m talking about? And where’s the relation to the question in title? It is pretty simple :-).

If you wanna become a nerd or check your current nerd-level or whatever related, you might want to visit www.nerdtests.com – but beware! Our user reported it as an infected page and here’s what he got

a warning related to a JavaScript infection on the site. And even when there’s a low detection rate, the malicious code snippet (containing an iframe pointing to another URL intended to serve malware) is present there – it’s a hijacked google analytics script as one of our users precisely analysed. Further explanation is in the original forum topic – http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=61582.0 for those, who are interested. Well, it’s a pleasure to make good detections for such great community. Thank you, guys ;-).

1. coolmario88cp
    July 7th, 2010 at 23:27 | #1

Cool! avast so rocks!

2. coolmario88cp
    July 8th, 2010 at 04:54 | #2

i just saw you spell’d guys wrong you spelt it gyus

3. July 8th, 2010 at 06:33 | #3

I’m not a nerd and I didn’t test myself yet. :P

4. July 8th, 2010 at 06:42 | #4

I’m not good at this, but that is a benefit of having such great community :) – one of the reason I love avast so much.

5. July 8th, 2010 at 06:53 | #5

I believe avast and his community related each others…so go rocks…avast and community

6. July 8th, 2010 at 07:44 | #6

:P im a computer if that counts xD

7. July 8th, 2010 at 07:45 | #7

LOL i Mean’t im a computer nerd if that counts xD

8. July 8th, 2010 at 09:41 | #8

@coolmario88cp
    Thx, fixed now ;-)

9. BlackKnight_UK
    July 8th, 2010 at 11:39 | #9

Avast used to “rock”, until it updated and refused to install on my PC – now Avast “sucks”.

10. Clint
    July 9th, 2010 at 06:17 | #10

I like Avast because it has such a great community Bases. I like avast that it is easy to use and I now that I can count on avast to detect and get rid of the virus or trojan or worm.
    Keep the great work avast

11. dky566
    July 9th, 2010 at 11:41 | #11

Manslaughter after your software is always repair failed, and can not restore the file to be manslaughter.

12. July 10th, 2010 at 06:05 | #12

When the free version of Avast Interprice Suite 5. corporative

The website says that in summer but not released yet.

Greetings

13. July 13th, 2010 at 19:30 | #13

hola mi nombre es gaby yo queria preguntar si este servicio es gratis y de no serlo cuanto cuesta por mes , si se llegara a contratar el servicio de avasti y despues al poco tiempo lo quisiera sacar como seria no tendria problemas desde ya muchas gracias

14. Paco Blay
    July 13th, 2010 at 21:30 | #14

He adquirido y pagado mediante paypal una licencia nueva para Avast Internet Security pero no he recibido el código de activación. ¿que hago?

15. Coolmario88cp
    July 14th, 2010 at 01:36 | #15

Avast! rocks! i the avast it is the best :D ;)

16. July 23rd, 2010 at 04:43 | #16

Yep, I am a nerd. And a bookworm! Here’s a list of my nerdiness reasons.

Great job finding the problem!

17. July 23rd, 2010 at 05:54 | #17

Yes, I am a nerd. That’s one reason I wanted to try to run the mobile version of my favorite AV (Avast mobile) on my Windows Mobile (Motorola Q) phone. But it does not work because the screen is too small.

Problem: No one seems to want to fix the problem, and will talk to me about the problem, or discuss a refund.

I LOVE Avast. I run it on every machine in my house (even paid for copies) and recommend it to every one. It pains me that I cannot run it on my phone, but it pains me even more that NO ONE from Avast will talk to me about it.

I still use their products because I think they are the best, and I still recommend them to others, but I REALLY want to get this issue taken care of.

Can ANYONE please tell me what I am doing wrong to get the attention of someone there about this?

18. July 23rd, 2010 at 10:46 | #18

@Ray Cassick
    Avast for mobile devices is a bit outdated now and instead of fixing and supporting the old version we’ll maybe focus on a completely new version (that’s only my guess based on the growing popularity of smart mobile devices and potentially a growing number of malware samples for these platforms).

19. Reyza Kennedy
    July 24th, 2010 at 10:23 | #19

i have had avast since my laptop got bugged up about 2 years ago and now my 2laptops & my PC has avast on it… and if my problem is not solved at once… i might change into another antivirus system… since my usb has been bugged 2 times since my avast is not working… :(

20. July 25th, 2010 at 09:29 | #20

@coolmario88cp

I don’t think http://www.nerdtests.com is infected mate ;)

21. Coolmario88cp
    July 26th, 2010 at 10:32 | #21

Reyza Kennedy :hi there… i’m just freaking out since i tried… tons of times to register my avast system… and until now i can’t register… i tried the online registration… no effect even the offline registration and the site is down… can someone explain this to me???

do you have the new Avast? 5.0? and if you need help go to http://www.forum.avast.com

22. July 29th, 2010 at 17:47 | #22

@coolmario88cp
    …yes typo mistakes should be carefully avoided

23. August 2nd, 2010 at 16:13 | #23