March 3rd, 2010

New free AV comparative test: and the winner is…

I usually don’t bother writing about individual AV tests and how great we did here and there, but this time I’ll make an exception. Malekal Morte, a very well-known (and influential) security person (tester/blogger/expert) from France recently performed a test of all leading free antivirus software products, and I’m very delighted to say that avast 5 was selected as a winner of the test.

Malekal is known for his rigorous testing methods and relentless criticism of poorly-performing products. Winning the 2010 test is even more precious considering that in the past, his attitude against avast was very reserved, and his tests were dominated by other products. But all this seems to have changed with the new avast version 5.

Malekal especially appreciated the way we bulked up the web protection module. The improvements in the avast Web and Network Shields, combined with its enhanced javascript detection engine, secured avast a smooth victory in the real-world test of protection against web-based threats. With over 85% of all infections coming through the Web these days, such improvements really make a difference for all our users.

The tester also liked the avast cleaning capabilities, mainly thanks to our unique boot-time scanning technology.

The final standing are as follows:

Gold medal: avast

Silver medal: Avira, Microsoft Security Essentials

Bronze medal: AVG, Panda cloud

Link to full review (in French): http://forum.malekal.com/comparatif-antivirus-gratuits-2010-t23535.html

Categories: General, Technology Tags:
  1. March 3rd, 2010 at 14:42 | #1

Congratulations!
    I didn’t try MSE and Panda yet.
    But avast still god AV for me.

2. Cahya
    March 3rd, 2010 at 15:08 | #2

I still vote for avast even they said not :)

3. March 3rd, 2010 at 15:11 | #3

Congrats! Too bad the boot-time scan doesn’t work on 64 bit OS, any chance of getting it work in the near future?

4. Sunflower
    March 3rd, 2010 at 15:56 | #4

Congratulation Avast.
    I am come from VietNam, but I live in America. I have used free Bkav(an famous Antivirus of Viet Nam),Norton, Avira… However, after using Avast home 4.8 and now is Avast free 5, I must to contend that Avast is the best antivirus program for me. Avast is not only a very powerful free antivirus, but also have such many functions I never can imagine.
    Thank you very much, Avast.

5. Rum
    March 3rd, 2010 at 16:52 | #5

Congrats.

“Enfin les explications peuvent aussi vous aider à mieux critiquer certains autres comparatifs. Je ne vais pas vous faire le blabla habituel sur les comparatifs de scan à la demande (Il existe d’ailleurs maintenant une page : Comparatif Antivirus : Scan à la demande, c’est débile!), néanmoins, certains trouvent le moyen de proposer des “comparatifs” avec des vidéos où ils balancent trois/quatre liens (hyper connus en plus) et tirent ensuite des conclusions sur l’efficacité ou non de certains antivirus. Vous verrez que c’est beaucoup plus compliqué que cela.”
    I guess here is a grain of salt for some DIY “Antivirus testers” on YouTube, too. ;)

6. March 3rd, 2010 at 18:15 | #6

Avast is the best for free antivirus.

7. March 3rd, 2010 at 18:16 | #7

I like it.

8. CharleyO
    March 3rd, 2010 at 19:02 | #8

***

Congratulations to all the avast! team members.

It is a well deserved Gold Metal !

***

9. William
    March 3rd, 2010 at 19:21 | #9

Now if you would get all the bugs out so it would actually work, You would have a good product.

10. March 3rd, 2010 at 20:33 | #10

Avast is my preferred Anti Virus for Windows and Linux, it does a good job and doesn’t consume much resources. Hoping to see a new version for Linux Home Users.

11. Albert
    March 4th, 2010 at 01:06 | #11

Let me tell you this story.
    Last year I bought three Windows PCs: one desktop, two laptops. All three pre-installed with Vista and a trial version of McAfee anti virus. All for personal use (home PC + laptops for two of my kids).

It took me only a week to deinstall McAfee and install avast instead (as I had already on my previous hardware). I found McAfee much too intrusive (way too many processes, uses way too many resources, complete black box).

On my professional laptop, I used to run Symantec, which worked sort of OK. Then my company decided to switch to McAfee. I don’t know the reason. But my laptop got automatically updated one day to McAfee.

After that my laptop started going really slow in startups (reboot or wake-up from hibernates), plus would suddenly grind to a halt while the McAfee antivirus would do something – actually one or more of its many processes sucking up the full CPU for minutes.

I finally got so pissed off that I de-installed McAfee last week-end. It was not easy: this beast really does not like being killed! But I managed to get it done with at the end, and installed Avast instead: the free version for now, but I will upgrade to the commercial release soon. I don’t think I will expense that though ;-) .

I am probably now in violation of my company rules, but at least I can now again work normally.

12. Ph-Eagle410
    March 4th, 2010 at 06:21 | #12

Congratulation and CHEERS to AVAST Team… AVAST is still the number ONE ANTI-VIRUS.
    THANKS to AVAST TEAM.

13. March 4th, 2010 at 06:29 | #13

Albert :
    Let me tell you this story.
    I finally got so pissed off that I de-installed McAfee last week-end. It was not easy: this beast really does not like being killed! But I managed to get it done with at the end, and installed Avast instead: the free version for now, but I will upgrade to the commercial release soon. I don’t think I will expense that though .

Hi Albert,

That it would be need a great effort to do, but again everyone have their rights to choose what does they need for.

Again, good luck.

McAfee need a high technology to supported it.
    But in terms of performance McAfee still better thant Symantec one.
    But avast! more lightweight and have a goo performance too in protection.

Cheers,

14. March 4th, 2010 at 06:31 | #14

Hi Vlk,

Just wondering whether this guys comparing only for Free AV?

Cheers

15. March 4th, 2010 at 12:46 | #15

Just wondering whether this guys comparing only for Free AV?

Seems that Malekal only tests free AVs, correct.

16. reza
    March 4th, 2010 at 14:22 | #16

can you add persian(farsi) language to avast antivirus

17. March 4th, 2010 at 16:41 | #17

Congrulations!!!

18. March 4th, 2010 at 17:59 | #18

It’s always nice to received the top honor.
    Let’s make sure avast! will remain in that spot for many years to come.

19. Shiw Liang
    March 4th, 2010 at 18:10 | #19

Yay!!!
    That was as expected from avast’s improvement and it was a very great bet to put in trying to make a new beta and now finally the final version is out and is putting fire in the whole world!!
    Congratulations to everyone who helped out a lot for avast and also avast team ^_^

20. TUKUR LAWAL SHA-ISKAWA
    March 6th, 2010 at 02:30 | #20

BETTER

21. March 6th, 2010 at 08:21 | #21

WOW, CONRATULATION, AVAST IS THE BEST, ALL MY FIREND ALSO USE AVAST IN THEIR LAPTOP

22. Maybe Stilla User
    March 6th, 2010 at 20:30 | #22

It doesn’t look like they tested for Avast to stop the fake “XP internet security 2010″ and related variations. This blew right past Avast 5 and infected my PC. What a mess.

23. sunflower
    March 7th, 2010 at 04:11 | #23

Hi avast team
    I sent this email to you, but I stil write again because I very love avast.
    For 2 months using avast, I have thought avast that can’t be defeated. However, two day ago, when I watched a movie on website http://www.phim88.com, my computer automatically got Vista Internet Security Virus ( this virus act like virus that Maybe Stila User said) !!, and my computer could not run any file that have extension .exe. Of course, Avast would be turned off !!
    After finding introduction in website http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-antivirus-vista-2010.html, I killed virus by hand .
    However, I still hope you will pay attention to my message, and avast can notice this virus, because I very love avast.

24. hong
    March 7th, 2010 at 07:45 | #24

Thx

25. sunflower
    March 7th, 2010 at 07:51 | #25

I have just update 2 minute ago, and now our Avast can detect XP internet security 201 virus and its variations.
    Thanks to Avast

26. Aethec
    March 7th, 2010 at 11:45 | #26

Congratulations.
    Maybe it will finally change the fact that a lot of French “geeks” are always saying “avast! is bad”.

…But don’t read the other parts of Malekal’s forum/website, or you’ll never want to look at his tests again :-)

PS : VirusTotal still uses avast! 4.8′s engine ?!?

27. spg SCOTT
    March 7th, 2010 at 12:50 | #27

Well done ALWIL, I’m sure this will not be the last :)

Aethec :

PS : VirusTotal still uses avast! 4.8’s engine ?!?

Both the 4.8 and 5 engine, try it out, you’ll see :)

-Scott-

28. Transformer
    March 7th, 2010 at 20:54 | #28

congrats!! avast team doin really nice job
    keep it up

29. March 8th, 2010 at 07:31 | #29

Kaspersky in Indonesia have the best sales. And I’ve tried it but not anymore after trying to free avast which is very admirable. Lightweight and can find local and international virus, kaspersky even that is no longer light unable to find a virus that is embedded in my computer. I think in Indonesia will have a new idol, even sales in Indonesia would shift the kaspersky’s not light anymore!

30. March 8th, 2010 at 13:05 | #30

yinyangpromo :

Hi,

Sure, i agreed with you.

Kaspersky itself not very reliable if you have a limited hardware spec.
    In terms of scanning kaspersky i am sure it’s quite good, but in terms of performance and memory space you need more a huge memory to support kaspersky.

Avast! itself already have their representative for Indonesia.
    You may visit http://www.ppinfotek.com, if you need avast! solution.

Cheer,
    yanto chiang

31. tsuwangchen
    March 8th, 2010 at 14:28 | #31

trial

32. MaryC.
    March 9th, 2010 at 01:44 | #32

Congrats!!Avast team!!!
    This is an excellent product. Keep up the good work. I will recommend this product to friends.

33. March 10th, 2010 at 06:23 | #33

THAT IS SO GOOD OPERATION OF AVAST

34. March 10th, 2010 at 06:24 | #34

I AM SO HAPPY TO GET AVAST ANTIVIRUS

35. Pissed user
    March 10th, 2010 at 15:24 | #35

If only avast would LEAVE FILES ALONE WHEN I TELL IT TO DO SO!

Several of my files have been deletet or blocked even if they are legit files!

Please give me an advanced mode where I can tell the program that I’m aware of the file and that I WANT TO KEEP IT!!!!!

36. March 10th, 2010 at 15:30 | #36

Pissed user :
    If only avast would LEAVE FILES ALONE WHEN I TELL IT TO DO SO!

Sure, that’s easy, just go to the shields’ Expert Settings, Actions page, and change the behavior to Ask.

BTW if you have any other questions, you can head to our forum http://forum.avast.com – most such questions are answered momentarily.

37. March 10th, 2010 at 18:16 | #37

Felicitaciones al equipo de Avast y sus colaboradores…

38. Dracula
    March 11th, 2010 at 01:04 | #38

I must admit that this antivirus cleaned my computer from over 10 Trojans and other nasty thing who made my computer so slow and laggy , know is clean and is again fast , this upgrade of new AVAST 5 is a big improuvement for this company , i like this version better……all the best from Romania….and ty

39. d.prakash
    March 11th, 2010 at 15:53 | #39

yes it wrk…. good

40. March 12th, 2010 at 06:36 | #40

it is free for home user all the best teeam and staff alwil and awasti thanks jafer

41. senn@
    March 13th, 2010 at 14:13 | #41

Thats why I choose Avast. Congratulations!

42. srm
    March 14th, 2010 at 06:24 | #42

congrats AVAST it is good even best antivirus i ever have used…
    i live in india……
    this antivirus is worth receiving a gold medal in field of internet security…and free edition is OSSOM

43. Björn Lundahl
    March 14th, 2010 at 22:08 | #43

This Friday I bought Avast Professional on Alwil site. They have an “offer”, get a two years license for the price for one year. I am fixing my sisters PC so I thought I will buy this for her. I paid with my Visa card and got a notification that I have paid but I did not get a license file. I contacted “element 5″ which handles the orders for Alwil but they could not help me out. So I contacted Avast support but they do not even bother to answer. I have bought a lot of software for several years but I have never been ignored as in this case. I think Alwil has problems in handling orders and tomorrow I will have to contact my bank to force a refund. I know that this will be successful as I have not got any delivery. At least Visa cares about its reputation. I will have to install another antivirus software in my sisters PC. I will write about this at download.com

Björn Lundahl
    Göteborg, Sweden

44. March 14th, 2010 at 23:55 | #44

Björn Lundahl :

Hi Björn,

sorry to hear about the trouble.
    A couple of things though:

1. Have you checked your spam folder? Many emails just get lost because they are misclassified as spam.

2. you said you sent an email to support on Friday, and now it’s Sunday. The support team doesn’t work weekends. Don’t you want to wait at least till Monday? (the trial period of the product is 30 days so there’s plenty of time to get the issue resolved).

Thanks

45. Björn Lundahl
    March 15th, 2010 at 00:52 | #45

@vlk

Hi, yes I have checked my spam folder at yahoo several times but nothing is there.

No one told me that I have to wait until Monday. Actually I uninstalled the trial version but changed my mind. Now I have tried several times to install it again but it will not activate. My internet connection is okay but Avast insist it is not. I am writing this now as a proof. So even if I got the file there will be a problem. This Friday it did accept my internet connection, though, but it will not now.

46. Björn Lundahl
    March 15th, 2010 at 09:14 | #46

I did this morning at least succeed to activate the trial version of Avast Professional. My internet connection has been strong all the time so that is strange that it connected to get the demo verified only this morning. But the license file is still missing.

Björn

47. Vojta_qa
    March 15th, 2010 at 10:28 | #47

ghost_301 :

Hello,
    it is planned in the Avast version 5.1.

48. Vojta_qa
    March 15th, 2010 at 10:35 | #48

Björn Lundahl :
    Björn

Hello Björn,
    it is being solved right now in our support system

49. Björn Lundahl
    March 15th, 2010 at 14:20 | #49

@Vojta_qa

Thanks! I got the license file two hours ago and my Avast is now activated. Thank you very much again! So I will still promote Avast in the future by writing “good things”.

Björn

50. EtsDriver
    March 16th, 2010 at 18:15 | #50

Is this working on Win ME?

1 2 927