February 9th, 2010

How to Get Help with Version 5

We have noticed that many people are posting technical or sales questions as blog comments. While we really want to help everyone, it is difficult to do it through the blog. So please, if you have questions about the product or sales, you can get much quicker and better assistance through our support center and forums.

• support.avast.com -– the support page should be your first stop with any avast! questions. It contains already prepared answers to the most commonly asked questions: how to install avast!, inserting the license key, and combining avast! with other security programs. The support page is the place to register and submit tickets directly to us for your technical and licensing issues.
  • forum.avast.com –- avast! support forum is the place where you can find more detailed information about avast! and discuss your issues with developers and other avast! users. This is the place for information about virus removal, infected scripts in websites and features in the new 5.0.
  1. Wim
    February 9th, 2010 at 16:57 | #1

Hi Pavel Mourek,

I am a regular user on the forum, and the reason that people are starting to ask questions here on the blogs is because the Avast crew is barely speaking in the forums. Check how many questions there are about the ADNM for avast 5 and the date and compare that to the date from the blog posting from VLK (which made me happy). This blog posting from VLK was the only informational posting anywhere about this subject.

i am happy with the information in that blogposting, and i understand very well that Alwil is not staffed with 100 million employees ;) but there is a serious lack of communication and major lack of support in the forums (major detail its in the forums) from the alwil team…. the support that users get is from the users that have found a sollution to the problem or are not afraid to try… which is ofcourse a perfect way but since those supporting users dont know all about the products they cant help giving all the sollutions….

I am a happy user of the home AND business software, where the business software has its twitches sometimes for which i hope Alwil will start giving faster/more support (hire people if your understaffed)

2. Eight
    February 9th, 2010 at 17:24 | #2

Many people need Chinese Traditional in Asia.
    I know the download page have Chinese.
    But it’s Chinese Simplified.Not Chinese Traditional.
    I want AVAST! respect use of Traditional Chinese country.
    Thank you.AVAST! is good Antivirus.Plz don’t let me down.

3. Wim
    February 9th, 2010 at 18:10 | #3

@Eight
    as you may know the software has just been released, chinese is not the native language of the programmers. The easiest language to reach the biggest public first is obviously english and then the rest comes after.
    Translating into a characterbased language isnt done over night without too much translation errors and testing afterwards…. i am sure it will come but not directly so Alwil will respect the language/country (im restraining myself for a political remark here) but it will take some time….

4. Guy
    February 9th, 2010 at 22:03 | #4

I left an URGENT message yesterday – Ticket ID: YOB-543293 and have had no response at all.

I want to try Avast Internet Security 5 on my new Archos 9 Tablet PC. I installed it as a trial version, but it will not let me activate the product. So now I have what appears to be a perfect program for the Archos 9, but because Avast wont allow me to activate a trial version i don have all the latest security updates and my Archos is at risk.

I do not want to purchase it till i test it out properly. I am extremely dissappointed that Avast have not attended to my dilema. I could just purchase the full version, but im affraid that it also will not activate, and then how would i get a refund? Also, support doesnt seem to pay attemntion to the support requests.

I will be unistalling Avast tomorrow if I cannot get this issue resolved. But then, form the forums, I know that I have to expect a great deal of hassel to uninstall this and install Microsoft Internet Security.

Please can the support techs address this issue.

Hello,
    the issue has been handled next day after sending.

5. giovanni
    February 10th, 2010 at 04:03 | #5

Hi!

I have a very short question for you!!

Could you please tell me how many resources does AVAST 5 usually take up compared to his main competitor AVIRA ANTIVIR PERSONAL FREE 9??

I’m asking you this silly question because I have half a mind to replace AVIRA with AVAST 5 in my old home PC but, since I can currently rely on a very low quantity of RAM, I would like to know which one of the two programs is more resource intensive in order to make a choice on which one of the two tools is more suitable for my system.

Thanks for your consideration.

6. Wim
    February 10th, 2010 at 13:40 | #6

quote from the blog posting:

“So please, if you have questions about the product or sales, you can get much quicker and better assistance through our support center and forums.”

7. February 10th, 2010 at 16:02 | #7

@Guy
    you have your ticket replied already but yes it took us around 1 day to reply. Anyway next time rather than big comment on the blog please try to put more information into your initial request on support.avast.com, you can always update your ticket with additional information and this will help us to answer you better and faster. Thank you.

8. February 11th, 2010 at 05:19 | #8

I have been using Avast for quite some time now, and have recommended it to almost everybody I know that has a computer, and many of the Salvation Army computers, for staff and volunteers, as well as some of the ones that sold in our shop, and those that I work on, as well.

I was considering buying a three user license for the Avast Internet Suite, but notice that the “Worldwide English” website rate is $ 59.95 (which I presume is US$?), but the “Australian English” website lists the same item as being $ 99.95! I realise there is a bit of a difference in the rate of exchange at the moment but certainly not $ 40.00 value.

C’mon, pull the other one.

If you want to rip people off, and lose customers, that is a sure way to go about it.

I’m sure I can go and find another software solution for my clients, and myself, if I thought that Avast was more interested in profits than people …

9. February 11th, 2010 at 06:24 | #9

@Eight
    I think you’ll be happy to know that the Chinese Traditional version is going to be released on the next version.

Check the link below for the pre-release version:

10. michael
    February 11th, 2010 at 18:41 | #10

Hey guys, your website (www.avast.com) has a lot of broken links and at least one typo: after registering version 5, Avast! free, it states:

Register You Avast! Free 1 year license

On the homepage, clicking on the ‘learn more’ for Avast! free leads to a broken link.
    Same thing if you click on the download link (click here to download new version) and the same if you click on the picture of Avast! free software package.

One of the links to the blog is broken, but I couldn’t find that one again, it wasn’t off the home page.

Cheers

11. February 11th, 2010 at 18:50 | #11

@michael
    reported to our web guys. Thanks

12. shirley tempted
    February 12th, 2010 at 14:42 | #12

you should write these two links (support and forum) also on the avast! facebook profile in the description of the profile under the logo, where is now only written “Official website in 13 languages: http://www.avast.com” lots of ppl on the facebook profile confuse facebook with your support website :o ) and I have feelin that leavin their question unanswered will make them bit pissed off. Thats the two-edge sword of social networks. Ok for promo, but can also piss the customers off :o ))

13. Nicole
    February 17th, 2010 at 01:55 | #13

my avast shield just went off I tried fixing it all to no avail.

14. February 17th, 2010 at 10:08 | #14

@Nicole
    sorry but we need more information to help us find a solution to your issue.
    Please provide us with details about the PC(s) having the problem with avast:

What operating system are you using? (e.g. Windows 2000 Server…) Any Service Pack (e.g. SP2)
    What version of avast! are you using? (e.g. 5.0.377 – you can find this information in “About avast!…” dialog)
    What version of VPS file are you using? (e.g. 091210-4 – you can find this information in “About avast!…” dialog)
    What is the basic hardware configuration? (e.g. Intel Pentium III 800 MHz, 128 MB RAM)
    How do you connect to Internet? (e.g. dial-up, using proxy server, using firewall…)
    What is your e-mail client? (e.g. Outlook, Outlook Express, IncrediMail…)
    Do you use some other security software? Which one? (e.g. Norton Antivirus…)
    What are the steps to reproduce the bug again?
    Do appear some error messages? Which ones? Please send screen-shot if possible.
    all please to support.avast.com.

15. February 20th, 2010 at 11:08 | #15

hi,friend very interesting and knowledgeable topic you are choosing,this is very good
    discussion,
    thank’s for a wonderful discussion…..

……………….
    Computer Support ! Computer Tech
    Support

16. gaurav
    February 20th, 2010 at 14:57 | #16

hello ,
    i`m gaurav khatri from india ,
    2 months before i purchased the avast antivirus 2010 home edition , but now for the last 2 days my system is infected from the virus .
    now avast is useless for me .

i talked to the maya software company on their helpline no.but they said that we can`t do anything in that case & suggest me to send you email which i have done ( maya is the distributer of this software in delhi – india ) .

now i want its solution ,
    avast gives gud result , no doubt but when virus comes from pendrives with the autorun file , then avast can`t handle .

i also want that those customer purchased avast antivirus , company should provide their field executives for these customer , in the case of complain these executive reach on that location wheather its home or office these executives solve the problem of customer .

customer buy the products because they believe in the protection & satisfaction , which is provided by the company . if customers will not be satisfied & their system is still infected after using avast then they will never deal with it

17. gaurav
    February 20th, 2010 at 15:02 | #17

hello all , i don`t know that how to forward this complain to the head of department , because i`m facing lots of problems due to this virus . i have given my best to forwarding the complain through emails & phone calls to the company but no response .

i want that anyone of u plzzz plzzz plzzz forward my this complain to the head of department of avast . thank you

18. Joe S
    February 21st, 2010 at 05:24 | #18

Joe

19. February 22nd, 2010 at 17:19 | #19

Hi, there is nothing like the avast antivirus 2010 home edition and our free products cannot be purchased, anyway we have already answered your ticket, so please check it.

20. Jayson Messick
    February 24th, 2010 at 06:16 | #20

Heres the REAL way to get help…you must coddle them, dont be to angry your machine is now down because they have been ignoring BOLD posts about such things, do NOT expect your validation email from the actual support center, in other words Avast…you been had.

How to get real support…go choose another company that isnt quite so ‘childlishy emotional’ over their products…its HIGHLY clouding what Avast once was. Then theirs always the whole point it needs a third party software engine for COMPLETE functionality…NO JOKE.

21. Jayson Messick
    February 24th, 2010 at 06:18 | #21

You cant…unless you are gonna kiss butt major, dont waste your keysrokes…choose a vendor that actually has REAL support…and this IS talking about their paid version.@gaurav You cant…unless you are gonna kiss butt major, dont waste your keysrokes…choose a vendor that actually has REAL support…and this IS talking about their paid version.<

22. Jayson Messick
    February 24th, 2010 at 06:23 | #22

Joe S :I’ve used Avast for a few years and not had problems in the past. I tried 5.0.418 free on Windows 7 64 bit and have not been able to get help on the forum. When I run a full system scan Avast crashes at about 13 gigs and I have to reset shields.I’ve tried using the removal tools and reinstalled several times the result is always the same. I’ll go back to 4.8 until the next version comes out.Joe

…and you wont unless you treat them like royalty. I still have FW issues that were ignored and another memeber went to their ACTUAL support center about it…only to be told he was the only one having the issue…apparently, they only look at issues as a sinlge case enitity.

Im still awaiting my validation email for the support center…thats THE ONLY reason I went to the forum. But its geting apparent what Avast is ACTUALLY about. Im off this sinkin boat…avast all me hearties, we on to fuler sails…any better suggestions for AV at least as far as REAL support is concerned?

23. February 24th, 2010 at 17:24 | #23

@Jayson Messick
    sorry for your issues, but you are our free user since Aug/10/2006 and you have never contact us before. Now, yes we have received your ticket about that avast doesn’t show you that is scanning your streaming videos and we will of course answer it.

24. Robert Marcotte
    March 5th, 2010 at 20:15 | #24

Gentlemen,

On January 31, 2010, I purchased Avast Element 5. After the initial download, I proceeded to have problems with the program. My computer would not operate with the program that I installed from you. I uninstalled it on February 5. Had no further problems. An e-mail was sent to you on February 6 telling you of this problem.. Since the program had a sixty day refundable guarantee, I would like you to refund my money.
    No answer was ever received from you telling me of the outcome. Please send me an e-mail to confirm my letter.
    Robert Marcotte

25. March 8th, 2010 at 17:19 | #25

@Robert Marcotte
    Sorry, but no message arrived from your e-mail address at verizon.net to us, can you please resend it?