January 19th, 2010

The new avast! logo

If you have seen the new Avast website (available only in English and French right now) or products, you have surely seen our new logo:

This is the other item that the team has been hard at work on along with the products and website. Like all logos, you probably wonder what it is….or what does it mean? And of course, you may wonder how much we paid to a design agency to come up with this. So first things first, we have a great designer here at Avast: Martin.

In addition to designing the logo, Martin is responsible for all the graphics and design you see in the web site, the products, and the marketing materials. And he has even done all of our door and wall designs here in our new building. You may wonder how it is possible that a single person does all of this. It is easy, he works 36 hours a day.

So, from simplest to most complicated, here are the new elements of our “identity”

• The word “avast!”. As you may notice, the font has been cleaned up a bit from what you see in 4.8. That was to make it more readable. Mainly, some people read it as “avasti”. Try it, google “avasti” and you will see. Unfortunately you will see that scammers also latched onto that. Anyways, it should now be clear that it is “avast”.
  • What does avast mean? Our founders (Eda and Pavel) actually started using this as our product name many, many years ago. They were looking for a word that started with “AV” and that had a good meaning…..and they found avast. The word is an old nautical term meaning “stop”. And of course, it has been made famous lately in Pirates of the Caribbean and Shrek. A very fitting name for an antivirus product.
  • be free. This is now our slogan and it has many meanings. First is the obvious—we distribute a free security product and encourage consumer users around the world to just use our free product—no need to pay the large traditional vendors money. Second, it means to be free from worries as you use the internet. You should not have to work that you will get hacked, infected, etc.
  • The orange color. We chose this color to be vibrant and to stand out.
  • The “blob”. Internally we fondly call the orange graphical element “the blob”. To me, it is avast (represented by the stylized a in the center) surrounded by people (represented by the four nodes or appendages). There are many logos these days where people have been stylized into shapes like this. Now, this makes great sense as our product is good because of the strength of our community. Our community surrounds us and provides the core of the great detection capabilities of the product. 100 million strong. Now to be honest though, Martin came up with the shape in advance of any message we could weave around it…..but to me it sounds good….

So there you have it, the new avast identity. But of course, what really matters are the products. Try them….I am sure you will like them even more.

Categories: CEO's corner Tags: ,
  1. phani
    January 28th, 2010 at 23:09 | #1

@Ph-Eagle410
    Its an issue with Comodo Firewall… I uninstalled Comodo Firewall and then there are no more crashes

2. January 28th, 2010 at 23:47 | #2

Hey I´m a graphic designer and i think, the new image of avast it´s great and marvellous, great job Martin.

3. Motten
    January 29th, 2010 at 04:04 | #3

Oh my God! You didn’t do that, tell me you didn’t. Translating the actual name of the program to Japanese?!! Who else is doing that? The name of the product is it’s trademark, you don’t do that if you have a grain of brain in your head. No, no, no!

4. Motten
    January 29th, 2010 at 04:09 | #4

@phani – you must be some kind of moron, right? How can it be issue with Comodo when it never crashed or anything. avast! crashed, not Comodo. Something’s wrong with avast! so try to fix it internally, not by uninstalling all other software. Why didn’t you go and uninstall Word too, and Paint, and all your games for that matter. Shesh, oh my!

5. Charlie
    January 29th, 2010 at 09:01 | #5

Avast won’t let me sign up on the new one ?????????????? can someone help me

6. January 29th, 2010 at 17:59 | #6

Well… some people may not really like it as they simply get used to an old logo, but what the heck – new logo and colors are simply better! Way to go! :)

7. January 29th, 2010 at 18:02 | #7
  8. January 29th, 2010 at 18:30 | #8

Hi,
    Before 2005 I used norton,kaspersky,bitdefender,bullguard,nod32…. but on that time my computer acted like a patient. Then one of my friend recommend this amazing product AVAST to me. Now I am a fan of avast, and I’m recommending this one to all of my friends. Thank U

9. January 29th, 2010 at 19:49 | #9

Hey Dear Avasti Antivirus’s Team i really apperciate your work that you made a great anitvirus for millions of users .

i am here to ask that from where i can download avasti antivirus home edition.

i have free avasti antivirus right now in my computer.

and i also get avasti antivirus’s key after filling the foram of key in your website.

But i didint get from where i can put that key because there isnt any option of key after left click on about avast ..

please tell me the exact way from where i can get avasti home edition and its key free.

Thankx

10. Jay
    January 30th, 2010 at 18:13 | #10

Phew, This was so loong overdue…that i was tired waiting for it and dropped avast for other AV programs.
    And, also, avast should research into the new Cloud Avs out, such as Panda Cloud, and Immunet Protect.

Just a tip, Nice work Martin and all the guys at Avast AV

11. Sam
    January 30th, 2010 at 19:04 | #11

Hi.. I am very old user of Avast. I think since year 2004 and had recommended many of my friends to use it.. I like interface 5 better.. keep doing the good work.

12. Cat Line
    January 30th, 2010 at 23:03 | #12

Hi, I’m an Avast users for quite some time and have also recommended the product to various people not just because of the way it interacted with the computer no matter which OS you use. I’ve upgraded to the New Avast and at this stage i’m still stunned to the way it looks. I’m definetly telling all my friend to upgrade. Go Well, Cheers.

13. haha
    January 31st, 2010 at 19:24 | #13

@Basit obviously you havent read the post, it is avast! not avasti, haha

14. Ino
    January 31st, 2010 at 20:02 | #14

Vincent Steckler :@Ino You are looking at something that is not even released yet……

Hi VIncent!
    I installed the Avast!5 English version and add japanese language to.
    So I think it’ll be the same as original Japanese version which still unreleased yet.

It may seem trivial to you or who use alphabetic character but for Japanese user it’s worth paying attention to.

I’m appreciate it if you couild reconcider the problem.

Oh, by the way can you see the difference among “アヴァスト”, “アバスト”, and “あばすと”?
    I’m affraid part of my comment turned into a garbage.
    Maybe, You will have to change a code or install a Japanese font.

You can install some fonts here, if you want.

Thanks.

15. February 1st, 2010 at 07:22 | #15

Basit :
    i am here to ask that from where i can download avasti antivirus home edition.
    i have free avasti antivirus right now in my computer.
    Thankx

Hi Basit,

You may visit and download from : http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

16. February 1st, 2010 at 07:23 | #16

Charlie :
    Avast won’t let me sign up on the new one ?????????????? can someone help me

Hi Charlie,

What does you mean that avast didn’t let you sign up?

May be clearly to give the description?
    You may post your problem at : http://forum.avast.com/index.php#2

17. Cello
    February 1st, 2010 at 20:21 | #17

Nice, that new interface, also the availability for other OS. But where has the Dutch language gone :-(
    Not nice is the lack of support for boot-time scanning on Windows 64-bits.
    It is just one of the primary benefits of using Avast.

Keep up the good work,

Greetz

18. February 1st, 2010 at 21:22 | #18

@Cello
    Hi Greetz. Dutch will be coming. Sorry for the no boot-scan on 64 bit. That is very difficult unfortunately……Check back though….

19. February 2nd, 2010 at 01:11 | #19

Jolie le nouveau logo d’avast, je l’aime bien.

20. reza
    February 2nd, 2010 at 05:42 | #20

The best freeantivirus for ever

21. shin
    February 2nd, 2010 at 05:57 | #21

i have question?

how about avast 5.0 regeristry product? where i can get it?

this is the best antivirus….

22. Daniel wade
    February 2nd, 2010 at 07:04 | #22

I need assistance with a virus. I get a message that the virus is located in the system32 folder and in operating memory; and Avast must perform a boot scan. Avast recognizes the problem but when it performs a boot scan it does not see the virus. How can I get rid of the virus.

23. February 2nd, 2010 at 09:55 | #23

i have question?

how about avast 5.0 regeristry product? where i can get it?

this is the best antivirus….

24. February 2nd, 2010 at 19:27 | #24

@Daniel wade
    we need more info: virus name? your avast and OS version?, all please to support.avast.com

25. stc
    February 2nd, 2010 at 22:02 | #25

Hi people of avast antivirus and all others!!!!
    This is for Basit: hey man why not do you buy the software, is better to purchase than you have the free version. If you like this AV buy it.
    Thanks Avast Team for this wonderful software. ;) .

26. lhyin
    February 3rd, 2010 at 07:32 | #26

why the antivirus new version didnt play sound after i installed?

27. Petr Bucek
    February 3rd, 2010 at 10:24 | #27

shin :
    i have question?
    how about avast 5.0 regeristry product? where i can get it?
    this is the best antivirus….

maminur :
    i have question?
    how about avast 5.0 regeristry product? where i can get it?
    this is the best antivirus….

Hello,

What do you mean by avast! registry product? All our product line can be found on our web page

Best Regards,

28. Petr Bucek
    February 3rd, 2010 at 10:47 | #28

Hello,

Again thank you for all your comments. Please, try to submit tickets (or check our forum) from our support portal if you have any technical issue.

http://support.avast.com/ or http://forum.avast.com/

29. nLinkeo
    February 3rd, 2010 at 13:20 | #29

我爱小A~
    真的是很可爱的图标

30. Steve
    February 3rd, 2010 at 16:06 | #30

Just would like to say that Avast version 5 free home edition far out strips anyother free antivirus software. You have a great program there and keep up the good work.

31. February 4th, 2010 at 16:06 | #31

Waoo!!! Avast 5.0, is that how you are? Please could somebody else try it and testify the goodness of Avast 5.0, is very wonderful.

32. Rashmikant Raval-Ahmedabad India
    February 4th, 2010 at 20:24 | #32

February 4th, 2010 at 20:01 | #44 Reply | Quote
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    @preet
    Dear, I am Raval fro Ahmedabad city of Gujarat India.
    After getting dis satisfaction from licenced version of other companies, I just visited http://www.avast.com to understand my problems and to get solutions.
    Really speaking, I had no plan to install FREE HOME EDITION OF AVAST_5 version but while going in home page of Avast, I read ” FREE DOWN LOAD AVAST HOME EDITION”” and I thought to spoil my time to try it out.
    I clicked on that link and downloaded version5 spoiling ( at that time I was thinking that I am spoiling my time !! Great myself )
    It took 30 minutes, I did my other work when installation was going on.
    Then, it was installed, I run it ( It means I scanned my PC through avast5 ) and it was great that I had 165 virus in my PC though I was using other virus software.
    I cleaned my computer and it is now trouble free…..
    Congrates to AVAST SOFTWARE ENGINEERS>>>>>
    It is my advise to go for this free version rather than spending money in licensed software and inviting problems of virus.
    Regards,
    Raval Rashmikant
    Country Head- Printed Circuit Boards
    International Marketing ( USA Europe)
    Email ” rashmikantraval@dataone.in

@Basit

33. Rashmikant Raval-Ahmedabad India
    February 4th, 2010 at 20:48 | #33

Hi
    I am Raval, Avast lover.

If you are interesed to install AVAST% latest software, plaesae click on following link, you will get direct page to install software, OK

Now, you will get following message, please click on download, Ok? fine?

The new version 5.0 includes improved virus and spyware detection. Gives you even stronger protection against identity theft as well as viruses. It also offers additional benefits, such as:
    New user interface
    Better performance
    Safe and uninterrupted gaming
    Fully compatible with new Windows 7

avast! Home Edition 4.8
    Free antivirus Select
    avast! Professional Edition 4.8
    Customizable antivirus (paid product) Select

Not sure which product you have ?
    Right-click on the blue avast icon in your system tray, near the clock (in the bottom right corner of the screen), and click on “About avast..”.
    Worldwide (English) | Homepage | About avast! | Contacts | Privacy Policy
    Copyright © 1988-2010 ALWIL Software a.s. – vendor of avast! antivirus products

34. Rashmikant Raval-Ahmedabad India
    February 4th, 2010 at 20:51 | #34

Just click on following link if interested in down loading Free Avast five(5)

Your page is in front of you,
    Bye

35. PCB Ahmedabad, India, USA Europe
    February 5th, 2010 at 19:49 | #35

Dear Tokamsu jengdo,( kevu vichitra nam chhe!Hu pure Gujarati chhu, Amdavadi, etle mane vicitra ane yadd na rahe evu nam lagyu) -great name)

, I am Raval from Ahmedabad city of Gujarat India.

It took 30 minutes, I did my other work when installation was going on.
    I cleaned my computer and it is now trouble free…..
    Congrates to AVAST SOFTWARE ENGINEERS>>>>>
    Regards,
    Raval Rashmikant
    Country Head- Printed Circuit Boards
    International Marketing ( USA Europe)
    Amdavad city
    Email ” rashmikantraval@dataone.in
    @Basit

Hi
    I am Raval, Avast lover.
    Now, you will get following message, please click on download, Ok? fine?
    New user interface
    Better performance
    Safe and uninterrupted gaming
    Fully compatible with new Windows 7
    avast! Home Edition 4.8
    Free antivirus Select
    avast! Professional Edition 4.8
    Customizable antivirus (paid product) Select

Just click on following link if interested in down loading Free Avast5
    Your page is in front of you,
    Bye

OR, please copy following link and paste in your internet address bar and click’ ENTER” you will get direct download page…. Happy??

Hi,

If there is spyware/virus problem in your PC,

Free download avast5 ( antispyware software)

Please put following link in your internet address bar and open it and install it

36. Gayathra
    February 6th, 2010 at 07:50 | #36

Software, service, graphics and design, everything is good!!
    Keep it up Avast! (or Avasti) :P

37. Jahanzeb Mughal
    February 6th, 2010 at 12:51 | #37

Wonder ful Software.

38. abdallah domiat
    February 6th, 2010 at 19:34 | #38

when you said that my antivirous will expire in 24 days I downloaded the new antivirus then i removed it when i new that others are offering avast which is false, your new sign and color is confusing, and you were offering free for one year now i noticed only for one month. this change confused me and i am afraid to download it again, please tell me what to do. thank you. abdallah domiati

39. Niall
    February 6th, 2010 at 21:06 | #39

The old Avast! and new Avast are very good products on a PC. But does anyone know if the Avast! MAc version is as good…?

40. February 7th, 2010 at 15:14 | #40

i really love the product and the good work avast is doing for my machines.everything about me is avast and nothing more.

41. Azzy
    February 8th, 2010 at 22:55 | #41

I followed the registration instructions in the 5.0 help file and was mailed a number for 4.8 with instructions to look at the blue ball??? It seems this product was not ready for release. Very disappointing for avast, the old best program. Playing dumb in these blogs does not speak well either.

February 3rd, 2010 at 10:24 | #27 Reply | Quote shin :
    i have question?
    how about avast 5.0 regeristry product? where i can get it?
    this is the best antivirus….

maminur :
    i have question?
    how about avast 5.0 regeristry product? where i can get it?
    this is the best antivirus….

Hello,

Best Regards,

42. muhamad
    February 9th, 2010 at 09:27 | #42

tanx to avast group for their great and precious effort in providing FREE antivirus with high protection!

43. Petr Bucek
    February 9th, 2010 at 12:56 | #43

@Niall

Hello,

The Mac version uses the same virus definitions data base, but it is obviously difficult to make a comparative test as they are not many viruses and antivirus programs on Mac.

Best Regards,

44. February 9th, 2010 at 17:54 | #44

@Azzy
    sorry for the wrong instruction in the e-mail, and please find answer in details on http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=459 page.

45. Petr Bucek
    February 10th, 2010 at 10:35 | #45

@abdallah domiat

Hello Abdallah,

First download avast! Free antivirus from our web page

This version is free of charge, it did not change from the version 4.8.

If your current status is “NOT YET REGISTERED”, you will be prompted to fill our registration form and register.

Click on Registration in the MAINTENANCE tab, from where you can review all your current information. If you are connected to the internet, click on “Register now” button. Fill in all required and/or details, that you want to put there including “Please let us know” section and continue clicking on “Register for free license” button. Status will automatically change to “REGISTERED”.

Regards,

46. February 11th, 2010 at 06:06 | #46

I love the new Avast! I am telling all my friends to get it.
    It seems to updat better also.

47. 陈江弋
    February 11th, 2010 at 08:52 | #47

avast挺不错的,不过5.0将各个窗口整合到一起让人有点不适应啊。

48. Johnny Chan
    February 11th, 2010 at 08:53 | #48

还不错哈

49. February 11th, 2010 at 16:19 | #49

i had bought a new laptop which was loaded up with McAfee. It was extremely slow, crashed a lot. I deleted McAfee and put new Avast. Problems solved, it is much faster.

50. Missy ~
    February 13th, 2010 at 04:34 | #50

I just installed the new Avast and I have got to say, at first I was a little sceptical because I did not know what was going on with the orange but then I read this and then checked out the new interface, much, much better! I like how each option is clarified and neatly in there own spot and easier to understand! The old one was too simple and hard to find what you wanted to do. ( Yes it can be simple and hard to understand! Like a firewall I just wanted to leave it alone. I am scanning my computer as I type with no interruptions.

I like the new hip design and change is always needed to keep fresh! Over all I am very impressed and as long as it does not eat up my cpu and freeze my computer and of course, let viruses in, then I will be very, very happy. Great Job!