January 19th, 2010

The new avast! logo

If you have seen the new Avast website (available only in English and French right now) or products, you have surely seen our new logo:

This is the other item that the team has been hard at work on along with the products and website. Like all logos, you probably wonder what it is….or what does it mean? And of course, you may wonder how much we paid to a design agency to come up with this. So first things first, we have a great designer here at Avast: Martin.

In addition to designing the logo, Martin is responsible for all the graphics and design you see in the web site, the products, and the marketing materials. And he has even done all of our door and wall designs here in our new building. You may wonder how it is possible that a single person does all of this. It is easy, he works 36 hours a day.

So, from simplest to most complicated, here are the new elements of our “identity”

• The word “avast!”. As you may notice, the font has been cleaned up a bit from what you see in 4.8. That was to make it more readable. Mainly, some people read it as “avasti”. Try it, google “avasti” and you will see. Unfortunately you will see that scammers also latched onto that. Anyways, it should now be clear that it is “avast”.
  • What does avast mean? Our founders (Eda and Pavel) actually started using this as our product name many, many years ago. They were looking for a word that started with “AV” and that had a good meaning…..and they found avast. The word is an old nautical term meaning “stop”. And of course, it has been made famous lately in Pirates of the Caribbean and Shrek. A very fitting name for an antivirus product.
  • be free. This is now our slogan and it has many meanings. First is the obvious—we distribute a free security product and encourage consumer users around the world to just use our free product—no need to pay the large traditional vendors money. Second, it means to be free from worries as you use the internet. You should not have to work that you will get hacked, infected, etc.
  • The orange color. We chose this color to be vibrant and to stand out.
  • The “blob”. Internally we fondly call the orange graphical element “the blob”. To me, it is avast (represented by the stylized a in the center) surrounded by people (represented by the four nodes or appendages). There are many logos these days where people have been stylized into shapes like this. Now, this makes great sense as our product is good because of the strength of our community. Our community surrounds us and provides the core of the great detection capabilities of the product. 100 million strong. Now to be honest though, Martin came up with the shape in advance of any message we could weave around it…..but to me it sounds good….

So there you have it, the new avast identity. But of course, what really matters are the products. Try them….I am sure you will like them even more.

Categories: CEO's corner Tags: ,
  1. Suman Kumar Dutta
    January 22nd, 2010 at 14:42 | #1

Great work Mr. Martin. It’s good to see that the new Avast 5.0 has been launched at last. It will produce a huge competence in the cyber security market. It is great to see that the responsibility taken by the whole Avast team to protect the simple users is excellent. The bundling of Google Chrome with Avast 5.0 is also good decision. Since both are free and great products in their markets respectively. The redesigning of the website is also a great work. I personally congratulate all the avast team and wish you all a great marketing future.

2. sanjay sinalkar
    January 22nd, 2010 at 14:48 | #2

avast is best free anti virus now the new one is best n its new logo is awesome beautiful i like its protection n logo
    thank you for avast community great work

3. January 22nd, 2010 at 18:42 | #3

Soyez affichant ce produit sur ce site

4. January 22nd, 2010 at 22:59 | #4

Its been two years now since i switch from a very popular anti virus and have tested whats popular and available in the market, but when i was searching for an open source and free anti virus for personal use and endeavor to utilize it for my organization in the Philippines – the Corps of Peace in Social Service for our sustainable and renewable humanitarian projects. Since then i keep spreading the words AVAST! to friends and peers by personally attesting and guarantying its capability and further feeding information about ALWIL social commitment and corporate responsibility to cyber-community, and finally as i have waited for the Avast.v5.0 i personally congratulate its founders and team for the noble cause and intentions of the ALWIL family, me and my fellow volunteers are with you always.

5. John
    January 22nd, 2010 at 23:05 | #5

Hi,
    Love the look and new feature’s in the new avast… but unfortunately it crashed my PC several times and I had to go back to the old version ..

Vista Premium / Intel Dual Core / 3GB Memory / Comodo Firewall.

John

6. Ph-Eagle410
    January 23rd, 2010 at 01:02 | #6

Congratulation to AVAST COMMUNITY for a GREAT JOB, AVAST 5.X is Very Beautiful and look Very Clean as AVAST scanned computers. MORE POWER

7. luckman
    January 23rd, 2010 at 04:17 | #7

avast is the best and super antivirus software, its good software for aganist avirus,….

8. January 23rd, 2010 at 05:15 | #8

Congratz for new avast ! Its look clean and friendly, and of course…still powerful. I’ll upgrade my avast! 4.8 now !

9. January 23rd, 2010 at 14:30 | #9

i like avasti home etion 4.8 all most happy producting from the virus and very fast update thanks avasti team all the best there giving for home user for free all home user blessing to avasti team

10. rahul anand
    January 23rd, 2010 at 17:53 | #10

i ‘ve using avast home edition for 2 years now and havent yet found anything better than this….thanks to avast team for providing home liscence for free ….

11. January 23rd, 2010 at 18:54 | #11

Avast el mejor de mejores!!! muy bueno el logo! xD

12. kiwiii97
    January 23rd, 2010 at 22:52 | #12

A really nice logo! I really want to get all the news of avast in mail. How to do that?

13. Simon Kumar datta
    January 24th, 2010 at 07:08 | #13

Thans Avast Team. I am very happy for your products. Wish you best of luck.

14. January 24th, 2010 at 12:56 | #14

Mr. Martin, I just want to say thank you so much, you’re really creative.
    I wish you happy life.

15. Larry Newhouse
    January 24th, 2010 at 19:29 | #15

Where is the different language versions, please. I’m Finnish

16. TRIPLE (HHH)
    January 24th, 2010 at 21:23 | #16

THATS GOOD JOB

17. TRIPLE (HHH)
    January 24th, 2010 at 21:25 | #17

THANKS

18. optavian
    January 24th, 2010 at 23:45 | #18

I love Avast! Its my favourite antivus. I’ve tried so many, but it’s the only one that really does not bog my OS. I love its new look and I’ve waited for it for so much time. Thanks guys. Keep up the good work.

19. optavian
    January 24th, 2010 at 23:51 | #19

I’d love an Avast Logo wallpaper. Where can I get it from?

20. brad
    January 24th, 2010 at 23:52 | #20

Avast came along way from 4.8 but remember people no AV in the world is going to stop you from getting infected. The internet security paid version is really good and will stop just about everything with it’s sanbox. I have sandboxie with avast free http://www.sandboxie.com/

21. Mohamed Bassuny
    January 25th, 2010 at 12:49 | #21

this is new proplem
    =====================
    Setup Selfextract
    ــــــــــــــــــ
    An error 0 (00000000) has occured.
    Last performed operation was:
    spawning
    ===============================
    I don’t understand this sentence

I’m trying to setup the Avast 5.0 on the old version 4.8 this might be the problem and i am not try to uninstal 4.8

beacuse i think it automatically remove old 4.8, and install 5.0 <<<<< is that right ???

or may be i setup new system (XP) to install the new 5.0 version

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    thanks "Pavel Mourek" and all avast team

22. logomaker
    January 25th, 2010 at 16:21 | #22

you need a new logo man.

23. January 25th, 2010 at 17:07 | #23

@Larry Newhouse
    The other major languages will be released within few weeks, the translation of your language is in progress and will be released once we receive it (1-2 months)

24. January 25th, 2010 at 17:29 | #24

@Mohamed Bassuny
    please use http://public.avast.com/~forejt/aswClear.exe if the standard install/removal procedure fails.

25. spg SCOTT
    January 25th, 2010 at 18:53 | #25

@Pavel Mourek
    Is this removal tool good for avast! 5?

Could we also suggest it in the forums, as people are asking for one specific to version 5…

@Martin,

Nice to put a face to a name… ;)
    Good work, like it.

-Scott-

26. Kamel
    January 25th, 2010 at 19:31 | #26

thank you about this developement, but this changement made me don’t know how to download the new update everyday

27. Aleksandar
    January 25th, 2010 at 20:32 | #27

Avast is the best !!! Best wishes from Serbia!

28. January 26th, 2010 at 09:07 | #28

Its so beautiful logo

29. justin
    January 26th, 2010 at 14:20 | #29

I really love the new logo. It adds to the software’s user-friendliness. Go Martin!

30. January 26th, 2010 at 14:36 | #30

Well done job you avast team,this is the 3rd year for me with avast,since I’ve discovered it.That was thanks to a friend that helped me to protect better my pc after I’ve been hit by an ugly virus that messed up my windows.The new version is a little different than the older but it’s nicer!Thanks team!

31. January 26th, 2010 at 17:47 | #31

@Kamel
    updates are installed automatically in both avast 4 and 5.

32. Don McIntosh
    January 26th, 2010 at 19:29 | #32

I am using Avast 5 and I received an email supposedly from DHL with an attachment. I was suspicious but I had no warning that a virus might be includes. I checked DHL’s site and found this:
    Please be advised that if you received an email suggesting that DHL is attempting to deliver a package and asking that you open the email attachment in order to affect delivery, the email is fraudulent, contains a virus, and the package does not exist. Please do not open the attachment. This is due to the Infostealer.Banker.C virus, which has been confirmed to be a real virus attached to a fraudulent email.

This virus is not coming from DHL – the authors of the malicious email virus are only using the DHL name in their message to grab user’s attention. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Why didn’t Avast detect it?

33. jon
    January 27th, 2010 at 00:30 | #33

i am a fan of avast and i am really excited about this avast 5.0 launch.

34. jon
    January 27th, 2010 at 00:36 | #34

how can i activate avast 5 free version without being online i dont have a internet connection. in my pc. i am giving this comment from a friends pc.
    plz help

35. Salman Ali
    January 27th, 2010 at 03:16 | #35

bahut aacha anitivirus hai avast dosto aap yehi anitivirus use karo

36. Salman Ali
    January 27th, 2010 at 03:21 | #36

naya avast ka key hai

C9821113H1400A1111-YZ9U8TKL

37. sampad kumar panda
    January 27th, 2010 at 11:58 | #37

I was using avast 4.8 before and it was updating correctly,but when i installed avst 5.0 it is not updating when i am connected to internet,can u reply about the problem i have as i am using in my laptop with windows viata home basic for your information.thanks.

38. Hitesh Patel
    January 27th, 2010 at 13:15 | #38

Verry Good Work avast team. avast is a best free antivirus.. Thakns a lot.

39. Gede Sasmita
    January 27th, 2010 at 14:22 | #39

success to avast! Thanks for your best job.

40. china
    January 27th, 2010 at 14:58 | #40

Thanks for your best job.

41. Nasheth Boy
    January 27th, 2010 at 16:05 | #41

AMAZING WORK, Mr. Martin and all Avast! team!

All of your great job will be appreciated around world’s Avast! users.

Avast! AntiVirus is THE BEST ABSOLUTELY FREE ANTIVIRUS in the world!

Thank you very much . . .

42. January 27th, 2010 at 18:34 | #42

@sampad kumar panda
    any error shown? please send us LOG files ( C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\) to support.avast.com\
    also please try to reinstall your avast 5, it helps our users to solve the issues with updates.

43. yudi
    January 27th, 2010 at 22:40 | #43

avast great, since 2 years I have used avast antivirus viruses all problems disappear, hopefully the best antivirus avast become

44. January 27th, 2010 at 23:25 | #44

my new avast is frozen,please help,yours,nebojsa d.velimir

45. January 28th, 2010 at 05:39 | #45

yudi :

Hi Yudi,

Are you come from Indonesia?

46. January 28th, 2010 at 12:34 | #46

Great! Thank you for your work

47. S Gonuguntla
    January 28th, 2010 at 12:48 | #47

I never look towards other products since I started using Avast!
    I wish avast! all the very best.
    Great work dudes.. Cheers!

48. January 28th, 2010 at 15:49 | #48

VERY GOOD WORK, Mr. Martin and all Avast! team!

All of your great job will be appreciated around world’s Avast! users.

Avast! AntiVirus is THE BEST ABSOLUTELY FREE ANTIVIRUS in the world!

avast 4.8 home and pro the best antivirus all world but avast 5 verey beutey

verey nice but 100% no work for viruses remove missed 4.7/4.8 home and pro the

best avast 5 email file names viruses no removed abele but sory my name is

bilal_ali frome pakisan

Thank you very much . . .

49. January 28th, 2010 at 15:59 | #49

HELLO/ SIR

avast is best free anti virus now the new one is best n its new logo is awesome

beautiful i like its protection n logo/ but best securtey is 4.8 home edition and

pro strong securtey but 5 version verey beutiful logo but no all viruses

removed able version pleaz 5 version securtey chek email files name virses

thank you for avast community great work

50. January 28th, 2010 at 16:53 | #50

@nebojsa d. velimir
    We are going to release a program update for version 5 soon, so if you have an issue with the current version 5.0.377, please get the latest test version here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54491.0. You can also report problems with this build there. Thank you.