January 19th, 2010

Avast! Version 5.0 is here!!!

Today is the big day—the day we (and many of you) have been waiting for—we are starting the release of the Version 5.0 products today. This is a pretty complicated roll-out so we are staging it. Today we will be releasing the new products (and the new website) in English and French. Over the next 10 days or so, we will be releasing the products and website in additional languages (German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Russian, Polish, Chinese, Japanese, and possibly Korean, and Arabic). Other languages will then be added as we have them available.

Three products (Free Antivirus, Pro Antivirus, and Internet Security) and a new website are being released today. Even though we have expanded our product portfolio, our philosophy of having and promoting a top-notch free antivirus is paramount. This philosophy has enabled us to achieve 100 million users and we are continuing it. As you read through our new website and launch information, you will see that not only is the new free product easier to use and more visually appealing than the old product, it provides even more security protection. And it is still free and free from annoying pop-ups and requests for money.

These products are not minor updates from the existing products. They are all new. Some of the changes—such as the new user interface—are obvious. Some are not obvious at all (such as the new scanning engine). All-in-all we think they are a vast improvement from the current products—modern, light, fast, and very effective. For details, see the product detail pages on the new website.

1. Avast! Free Antivirus. This is our new flagship product and replaces Avast Home Edition (we changed the name to emphasize the product is free). We focus this product on users that use the internet for web browsing and email. If that is what you do on the internet, this is the product you need. We are very proud of this product and we stack it up against anyone else’s paid antivirus—in fact, we have recently started submitting this product in lieu of our paid products to all of the industry standard tests. Virus Bulletin, one of the most respected journals, recently called this product “….nothing short of a miracle” (see separate blog post). Google selected this product for incorporation in many of their Google Packs. You can download this product here: http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download.
  2. Avast! Internet Security. This is our brand-new product and is focused on users that do on-line banking or shopping or that have sensitive data on their computer. We believe that these users need some extra layers of protection and developed this product to provide three more layers. This product takes the free antivirus and adds a 2-way silent firewall, a sandbox, and anti-spam. The firewall ensures that only trusted applications are able to receive or send data across the internet. The sandbox provides a means of executing your browser (or any other application) in a protected environment—thus even if you get infected, the infection does not leave the sandbox and does not harm your computer. And the anti-spam helps you get rid of all that irritating email you receive every day. And, we have made this product attractive to consumer users—a single license can be used on 3 computers in your household. This link will take you to the product and download page: http://www.avast.com/internet-security.
  3. Avast! Pro Antivirus. This is the update to the old Professional Edition. We focus this product on individuals that want to customize their security and on businesses. It is the same as Internet Security but without the firewall or anti-spam. This allows world-class security using your own personal choice of firewall and anti-spam. Here is how to get this product: http://www.avast.com/pro-antivirus.

To support these products, there is also a brand new website. Today the website will only be available in English and French. But, as the other languages roll out, the language-specific websites will also.

If you are using a 4.8 product (home or professional editions), the update is pretty painless.  Sometime in the near future, the 4.8 product will tell you version 5.0 is available.  You will have the choice of a free upgrade or a special existing-user offer for the new Internet Security. All you have to do is click which option you want, and you will be upgraded. As we have about 100 million users, these messages will take a month or two to get to all users. If you don’t want to wait for this automated message, you can manually upgrade and get the same special offers by clicking on the homepage banner that asks if you are already a 4.8 user.

As you can imagine, it was a massive effort to release three new products and a new website at the same time. All of our teams have done a great job in making this happen. Development of course developed the new products. But many other teams were also involved—virus lab and research, localization and translation, website development, on-line store, and marketing.

If you are reading this at launch time, we will think of you as we celebrate with the Czech national drink……

1. samuelvirucide
    January 21st, 2010 at 04:28 | #1

Congratulations to Alwil team, many thanks to this free great software…Wish this will top the next Virus Bulletin test…

2. mudassar
    January 21st, 2010 at 04:58 | #2

avast is the best antivirus software to remove all types of virus

3. January 21st, 2010 at 05:43 | #3

plz send with new serial key

4. January 21st, 2010 at 07:22 | #4

Good

5. manters inasor
    January 21st, 2010 at 07:28 | #5

great new product in new year!!!
    Thanks, Avast!!!

6. shambu
    January 21st, 2010 at 08:11 | #6

hi i want serial key plz send me

avast is the best user no need any other antiviruses

thanks to avast teem

7. ll
    January 21st, 2010 at 09:48 | #7

Congratulations!! Great evolution :-) I’ve been using avast for years, had no problems whatsoever, caught every thread. Sad (good?) to see that the majors (TrendMicro, Symantec) are not capable of producing an antivirus solution that works _and_ has less to none impact on the PC’s performance. Thumbs up to you guys, keep up the great work!!

8. January 21st, 2010 at 09:48 | #8

licenc cod

9. John
    January 21st, 2010 at 10:18 | #9

I am very unhappy with the professional edition I purchased not too long ago. I used the free version for quite sometime and the last time it expired I thought I would go ahead and purchase the pro edition 4.8. I have picked up a virus that it did not catch and now my other PC is useless. I have run avast 4.8 scans threetimes and it keeps coming up clean. I have tried to register to open a ticket and your sysem keeps coming up as wrong captcha code. It worked once but it still won’t let me log in to open a ticket

10. Maddy
    January 21st, 2010 at 11:13 | #10

@spg SCOTT
    thanks for clarification

11. TianO
    January 21st, 2010 at 11:17 | #11

Fighting against viruses for free is the best method, because the viruses are free too.

12. rahul
    January 21st, 2010 at 11:53 | #12

Avast 5! sucks.My is not able to start after i installed avast 5! It keeps on restarting

13. January 21st, 2010 at 12:04 | #13

The New User interface of Avast Free is amazing.
    I loved it.

14. January 21st, 2010 at 12:34 | #14

@John
    sorry for the issue. We are adding new virus samples every day, but as any other antivirus we may still miss some malware. So please if you have something avast is missing, please send the file(s) to virus@avast.com for analyses. Ideal way how to send such files is to ZIP them with the password ‘virus’. To contact our support you can use e-mail as well.(support@avast.com)

15. January 21st, 2010 at 12:53 | #15

@John
    please boot from your Windows CD and click repair Windows installation there to fix the issue.

16. Navneet Gupta
    January 21st, 2010 at 13:04 | #16

Please send the key for 5 year to operate avast.5 version becasue its superior from 4.8 version

17. Navneet Gupta
    January 21st, 2010 at 13:05 | #17

ALSO SEND THE KEY FOR 5 YEAR FOR AVAST 4.8

18. January 21st, 2010 at 13:06 | #18

@Navneet Gupta
    If you are currently using 4.8, just go to http://www.avast.com and click on the banner that is 2/3rds down the page. It is pretty obvious. It takes you through the process to upgrade your 4.8 to 5.

19. January 21st, 2010 at 13:07 | #19

please send new 5.0 licesence key

20. January 21st, 2010 at 13:08 | #20

@Navneet Gupta
    Navneet, what 5-year key for 4.8 are you talking about? Why do you want such a thing? Are you using 4.8 Professional or 4.8 Free?

21. Razvan
    January 21st, 2010 at 13:23 | #21

Very Good Protection , I use the free edition, no problems . thank you very much AVAST.

22. Shyam Reddy
    January 21st, 2010 at 13:42 | #22

Guys,

I have seen so many posts about AVIRA being be the best and all. This blog is about the AVAST and its latest version. If you can help, then please give feedback on version 5 which might help the team make it better. I am a hardcore fan of AVIRA but now trying out this new version and trust me its no less to AVIRA. There are relevant tests done to prove the same if you can search for it.

If you like something else, please stick to it. There is no point coming here and ranting about that product. It doesnot help at all. No offense but hope you guys understand.

I personally think team has done a fabulous job with a innovative UI and low resource using antivirus engine. Kudos to the team. I am sure many more will join me in praise.

23. January 21st, 2010 at 13:57 | #23

If you could do a post on how the Sandbox works in the Pro Version that would be appreciated. For whatever reason I can’t seem to get mine to work.

24. Sips
    January 21st, 2010 at 14:08 | #24

I’ve got version 4.8,the thing is… I don’t have Internet access at home- such that I always save the defenition update on a Flash drive (i.e. at an Internet cafe)and then take it home to my desktop. How do I upgrade to version 5.0 without uninstalling version 4.8? HELP!

25. Sk Ahmed Hussain
    January 21st, 2010 at 14:34 | #25

I am very happy to see avast 5.0 has release because i wont trust any virus softwares, since past 2003 iam using this software today i have downloaded and install in my system after restarting iam unable to operate my systme repetedly it was restarting pls help me out with this situation.

26. dillu
    January 21st, 2010 at 14:50 | #26

I am very happy to see the new release with major changes. I personally congratulate each and everyone without whose effort this wouldn’t be possible

27. January 21st, 2010 at 15:22 | #27

@Sips
    You can download setup files from http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download page, save it to your USB drive and run the installation on your home PC, it should automatically upgrade your avast 4 to version 5.

28. January 21st, 2010 at 15:43 | #28

@Sk Ahmed Hussain
    you can try to boot your Windows into safe mode and remove avast there. Then please contact us at support.avast.com, add all necessary details and we will help you further.

29. January 21st, 2010 at 16:42 | #29

1) Why is the installation file twice the size of 4.8 (concerned about resource use)
    2) Why is the no upgrade from 4.8 (it started a new clean install). I’d like to keep my settings, and have it installed in the same folder as I had the old 4.8
    3) Pictures, where? Is there still a “simple” (non-skinned) user-interface in 5.0
    4) Will 5.0 be offered as a auto-update from 4.8 or will we need to manually update?

30. Peter
    January 21st, 2010 at 17:38 | #30

Hello!
    I’d like to know, when will be the Hungarian version realese? :)

31. ejom
    January 21st, 2010 at 18:50 | #31

I have been using AVAST just for a year, but it SURPRISED me that this ANTIVIRUS is a good one. Thanks for the new version. CONGRATULATION.

32. Kari Uro
    January 21st, 2010 at 19:18 | #32

Blind users can not use avast 5.0 because the user interface is so grafical. Version 4.8 was much more screenreader frendly. Now I must say good bye avast and find an other antivirus program.

33. Mikh
    January 21st, 2010 at 22:08 | #33

It is said about such feature as “Behavioral Honeypots” that “avast! sensors identify and monitor suspicious file activity on selected computers, automatically submitting files to the Virus Lab for additional analysis”.

Is that function optional or not? May I (being concern about privacy, for example) turn off this function?

34. Rust
    January 21st, 2010 at 22:42 | #34

Respect for AVAST team!

35. Matic
    January 22nd, 2010 at 01:03 | #35

You guys have developed THE greatest free antivirus ever. And your professional version is even better. Keep up the good work and of course congrats on the new release.

36. Andrius
    January 22nd, 2010 at 03:02 | #36

why can’t download avast 5 version?

37. arief
    January 22nd, 2010 at 03:04 | #37

Finally there’s virus definition update here, thanks avast
    I hope there’s no more false positive again in new version

38. Keith
    January 22nd, 2010 at 03:16 | #38

I’ve been using avast! for years, and I love it, but version 5 seems to be hiding my log files and report files from me. Would you give it a talking to for me? :-)

Seriously, though, where did they move to?

39. natala pereira
    January 22nd, 2010 at 03:32 | #39

great!

40. Ahmed
    January 22nd, 2010 at 04:36 | #40

Minutes before i upgraded to Avast 5 i visited an infected website,network shield in Avast 4.8 detected and blocked the connection,and then after i installed Avast 5 i visited the same page and nothing happened,the network shield didn’t display any warning!!!.I hope that making Avast pretty isn’t the priority here,I’m a big fan of Avast so i’ll go back to 4.8 for now.

41. Wolf Serbia
    January 22nd, 2010 at 05:27 | #41

Avast RuLeS. I’m using Avast many years, and this is really good information. Congratulation to Avast team, and I hope that this ver. 5 will be one of the best products, same like products before.

42. simon
    January 22nd, 2010 at 10:18 | #42

I’ve been using Avast Pro 4.8 for nearly two years.Yesterday,I manually download the upgrade of Avast Pro version 5.After install it,my system is not working properly.My wireless adapter is not working,so no internet connection.And my system slow down alot.Can’t install it.Have to go to safe mode to uninstall it and install back the old version of Avast Pro version 4.8.Restart it,guess what everything back to normal and working fine.My OS is Windows7.One more thing,why do i have to resert the licenses key in the new version?Aren’t it suppose to upgrade automatic.Aren’t it suppose to detect it is activated Avast Pro with a licenses key.This is not the user friendly which the old version is,but not the new version.Is avast rushing to release this new version?I’m sure this does not happens to me only,but to others user of Avast Pro as well.

43. simon
    January 22nd, 2010 at 10:41 | #43

I’ve been using Avast Pro 4.8 for nearly two years.Yesterday,I manually download the upgrade of Avast Pro version 5.After install it,my system is not working properly.My wireless adapter is not working,so no internet connection.And my system slow down alot.Can’t uninstall it.Have to go to safe mode to uninstall it and install back the old version of Avast Pro version 4.8.Restart it,guess what everything back to normal and working fine.My OS is Windows7.One more thing,why do i have to resert the licenses key in the new version?Aren’t it suppose to upgrade automatic.Aren’t it suppose to detect it is activated Avast Pro with a licenses key.This is not the user friendly which the old version is,but not the new version.Is avast rushing to release this new version?I’m sure this does not happens to me only,but to others user of Avast Pro as well.

44. January 22nd, 2010 at 11:31 | #44

samuelvirucide :

45. January 22nd, 2010 at 12:58 | #45

Congratulations to Alwil team.

46. January 22nd, 2010 at 13:21 | #46

@simon
    avast pro 5 should not interfere networks at all, so this is very strange. avast upgrade process is automatic if Internet is working.In your case was not automatic as you had no connection. Anyway we will need to more info and all *.log files located in C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\ (or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\). All this addressed to support.avast.com. Thank you.

47. Daniel
    January 22nd, 2010 at 13:33 | #47

So far I am loving the new interface of Avast 5. Glad to finally see a more professional look and feel to the program. 4.8 reminded me of an awful winamp skin :P.

Avast Team where can I find more information about the “new” scanning engine. Is it still the same as the old? How much does it differ? Do you still use gmer technology in it etc…?

Avast has been my #1 choice for a while now. I appreciate the hard work you guys put into this and I also appreciate the “free” scanner you provide. Viruses are after all free, it’s nice to know that someone cares.

48. Abdurahman
    January 22nd, 2010 at 13:35 | #48

I installed the new avast free version 5. How can I get the the registration licence key?

49. simon
    January 22nd, 2010 at 14:30 | #49

@Pavel Mourek
    During the upgrading or installation of Avast Pro version 5,my pc is being connected to the net or have connection.As you mention the upgrading is being automatic,why do I still have to reconvert or re-input my license key after upgrading is finish.This is not being automatic,by meaning automatic upgrading you do need to re-input the key again or reconvert it first.The installation or upgrading package should be able to detect whether my Avast Pro is being activated with a working or license key.This’s no way a simple,user friendly as it was before.As I have mention before,after finish upgrading or installation my system freeze or hang for quite sometimes.Couldn’t open any task.Even restart my pc,it still the same thing.And I can’t get connection to the net.Have to go to safe mode to uninstall it.After uninstall it,the system was normal again.Can open any task,can get connection to the net.As you want the log,I have uninstall it(Avast Pro version5).So there’s no more log being.And right now,I’m still thinking whether to install back Avast Pro edition 4.8 or not.It because of the upgrading.

50. January 22nd, 2010 at 14:54 | #50

I am want avast for test

1 2 3 4 5 12 783