January 19th, 2010

Avast! Version 5.0 is here!!!

Today is the big day—the day we (and many of you) have been waiting for—we are starting the release of the Version 5.0 products today. This is a pretty complicated roll-out so we are staging it. Today we will be releasing the new products (and the new website) in English and French. Over the next 10 days or so, we will be releasing the products and website in additional languages (German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Russian, Polish, Chinese, Japanese, and possibly Korean, and Arabic). Other languages will then be added as we have them available.

Three products (Free Antivirus, Pro Antivirus, and Internet Security) and a new website are being released today. Even though we have expanded our product portfolio, our philosophy of having and promoting a top-notch free antivirus is paramount. This philosophy has enabled us to achieve 100 million users and we are continuing it. As you read through our new website and launch information, you will see that not only is the new free product easier to use and more visually appealing than the old product, it provides even more security protection. And it is still free and free from annoying pop-ups and requests for money.

These products are not minor updates from the existing products. They are all new. Some of the changes—such as the new user interface—are obvious. Some are not obvious at all (such as the new scanning engine). All-in-all we think they are a vast improvement from the current products—modern, light, fast, and very effective. For details, see the product detail pages on the new website.

1. Avast! Free Antivirus. This is our new flagship product and replaces Avast Home Edition (we changed the name to emphasize the product is free). We focus this product on users that use the internet for web browsing and email. If that is what you do on the internet, this is the product you need. We are very proud of this product and we stack it up against anyone else’s paid antivirus—in fact, we have recently started submitting this product in lieu of our paid products to all of the industry standard tests. Virus Bulletin, one of the most respected journals, recently called this product “….nothing short of a miracle” (see separate blog post). Google selected this product for incorporation in many of their Google Packs. You can download this product here: http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download.
  2. Avast! Internet Security. This is our brand-new product and is focused on users that do on-line banking or shopping or that have sensitive data on their computer. We believe that these users need some extra layers of protection and developed this product to provide three more layers. This product takes the free antivirus and adds a 2-way silent firewall, a sandbox, and anti-spam. The firewall ensures that only trusted applications are able to receive or send data across the internet. The sandbox provides a means of executing your browser (or any other application) in a protected environment—thus even if you get infected, the infection does not leave the sandbox and does not harm your computer. And the anti-spam helps you get rid of all that irritating email you receive every day. And, we have made this product attractive to consumer users—a single license can be used on 3 computers in your household. This link will take you to the product and download page: http://www.avast.com/internet-security.
  3. Avast! Pro Antivirus. This is the update to the old Professional Edition. We focus this product on individuals that want to customize their security and on businesses. It is the same as Internet Security but without the firewall or anti-spam. This allows world-class security using your own personal choice of firewall and anti-spam. Here is how to get this product: http://www.avast.com/pro-antivirus.

To support these products, there is also a brand new website. Today the website will only be available in English and French. But, as the other languages roll out, the language-specific websites will also.

If you are using a 4.8 product (home or professional editions), the update is pretty painless.  Sometime in the near future, the 4.8 product will tell you version 5.0 is available.  You will have the choice of a free upgrade or a special existing-user offer for the new Internet Security. All you have to do is click which option you want, and you will be upgraded. As we have about 100 million users, these messages will take a month or two to get to all users. If you don’t want to wait for this automated message, you can manually upgrade and get the same special offers by clicking on the homepage banner that asks if you are already a 4.8 user.

As you can imagine, it was a massive effort to release three new products and a new website at the same time. All of our teams have done a great job in making this happen. Development of course developed the new products. But many other teams were also involved—virus lab and research, localization and translation, website development, on-line store, and marketing.

If you are reading this at launch time, we will think of you as we celebrate with the Czech national drink……

1. arief
    January 20th, 2010 at 04:55 | #1

I’ve already use 4.8 version.
    I don’t find the definition update that can be downloaded manually for 4.8 or 5 version now.
    where’s the definition update?

2. Someone
    January 20th, 2010 at 05:04 | #2

SUCKS
    AVIRA IS THE BEST

3. Laperuz
    January 20th, 2010 at 06:28 | #3

Congratulations from Russia!!!
    And what about the form for sending malware through the website? I think this is much more easy than send the samples to e-mail.

4. January 20th, 2010 at 07:16 | #4

IUGJK

5. bobmat
    January 20th, 2010 at 08:27 | #5

Cheers!! About time you change the GUI.. Great and effective anti virus product. Congratulations.

6. January 20th, 2010 at 09:20 | #6

download free avast anti virus

7. January 20th, 2010 at 11:35 | #7

AM TRYING THIS OUT BUT I CONGRATULATE AVAST. YOU HAVE KEPT YOUR IMAGE AS LEADERS AND INNOVATORS.
    THANKS AND KEEP IT UP.

8. Kwarko Isaac
    January 20th, 2010 at 11:37 | #8

Thanks to you guys for a great job you been doing for the past years. i appreciate what you have done. just keep it up. Avast the best!!!! Ghana.

9. January 20th, 2010 at 11:53 | #9

mrci

10. January 20th, 2010 at 11:54 | #10

merci en cour

11. January 20th, 2010 at 12:19 | #11

I test 5-th version on this morning.
    And return to version 4.8….
    Sorry developers!

12. January 20th, 2010 at 12:20 | #12

i just want to try the new avast 5.0

13. January 20th, 2010 at 12:23 | #13

wow! congratulate! great job :)

14. Björn Lundahl
    January 20th, 2010 at 12:24 | #14

“If you don’t want to wait for this automated message, you can manually upgrade and get the same special offers by clicking on the homepage banner that asks if you are already a 4.8 user.”

I guess I will have to wait because I cannot find the banner. I am using the professional edition.

15. Matthew
    January 20th, 2010 at 12:31 | #15

Is the free version still restricted to non-commercial use only? There is no license posted on the new website.

16. Roger
    January 20th, 2010 at 13:32 | #16

Great,
    But after we download we can’t register the product.
    The website cannot be found is the error.
    So on that they have to work, because I need a licence key.
    If someone now please let me now on this forum.
    Thanks

17. January 20th, 2010 at 13:59 | #17

For short : “Finally”.

I’m waiting for reviews soon ^^

18. Eeva
    January 20th, 2010 at 14:51 | #18

I can’t find the banner (to manually upgrade from 4.8) either!

19. January 20th, 2010 at 14:53 | #19

@Eeva
    The upgrade banner will be there later today.

20. johnyokurka
    January 20th, 2010 at 15:14 | #20

gratuluji novy avast se mi líbí přehlednější , estetičtější . thanks from Czech Republic

21. January 20th, 2010 at 15:56 | #21

very good,i will try latter

22. Владимир
    January 20th, 2010 at 16:30 | #22

Другой почты нет!
    У вас русскую версию попробовать или купить можно?
    Сейчас поставил 5 eng поверх регистрированной 4.8 ru посмотрим после перезагрузки ч то получиться.
    С уважением, Владимир

23. ukay
    January 20th, 2010 at 16:43 | #23

@Someone
    of course not: http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests

1) too many false-positives
    2) too much free users for the few dedicated update servers. sometimes you can’t update the definitions for days, because all servers are busy

24. ukay
    January 20th, 2010 at 16:44 | #24

@TankoBG
    what’s wrong with new 5 version?

25. Kiran
    January 20th, 2010 at 16:57 | #25

I had been waiting for the release of avast 5 from December. I am sure no other antivirus vendor would bundle these much of features for a free version. Thanks a lot Avast team

26. walid
    January 20th, 2010 at 17:43 | #26

hi congradulation for alwil I use avast 4.8 it’s good and great so I like it and I downloaded this version I mean avast 5.0 and I’ll try it and I’ll see it. so I hope that’s good like the previous version and better then it. good luck salam

27. January 20th, 2010 at 19:00 | #27

Been waiting for this since long time.. finally..

u guys rock.

28. kantagara
    January 20th, 2010 at 19:48 | #28

this is my favorite it so rocks! avast u r the best!!! :) :) :)
    And for Serbian translation once again igor or lukor please PM me on the forum. Thanks

29. trav
    January 20th, 2010 at 21:43 | #29

This release has serious issues,4.8 user,tried 5 and removed it.Looking elsewhere.

30. wyeud
    January 20th, 2010 at 21:48 | #31

AVIRA IS BEST!
    I trust Avira most, I know it has more false positives but at least it doesn’t miss any viruses so I feel fully protected! Also stop with the bad English! Having 3 exclamation does not make it more!

• January 20th, 2010 at 22:17 | #32

Wyeud and other Avira posters, I don’t understand the insecurity of Avira users. No one else is posting here and saying their favorite product is the best. I have allowed all except the profane–and there have been profane ones also. Use what you like best. Do realize though that the tests you are talking about with Avira are of .exe’s? And yes, Avira does a great job of finding the .exe viruses. But such a virus is a problem of 2-3 years ago. Now such viruses are only about 10% of the threat. Find tests against the newer threats and you will see Avira is no where the top.

p.s. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Your posting is ungrammatical and each sentence ends with an exclamation mark.

31. ewfew
    January 20th, 2010 at 21:57 | #33

ukay person.
    Avira update problems for free version users is a thing of the past- please don’t post unless you are sure what you are saying is still relevant!

• January 20th, 2010 at 22:46 | #34

Ewfew, I appreciate your ardor for your favorite product. But you posted this same basic reply so many times it got caught by the spam filters. I have put one of them here. We don’t moderate this forum but we don’t really want to start an avira vs. avast flame war. We have nothing against Avira. It is a good product–especially in lab tests. We just believe ours is better in the real world.

32. January 20th, 2010 at 22:10 | #35

@wyeud
    Are you from Avira?

33. se325efwf
    January 20th, 2010 at 22:13 | #36

hey avast team!
    thx a lot 4 this gr8 update! really like it, much better than 4.8, especially gui!

34. edgar
    January 20th, 2010 at 22:23 | #37

tanks

35. javier
    January 20th, 2010 at 22:25 | #38

hello, when will be available in Spanish?
    sorry my English is not perfect

36. Shahnur Ahmed
    January 20th, 2010 at 22:28 | #39

i had been waiting for the release of avast 5.0 for a long time. At last i got it. Avast Antivirus 5.0 is awesome, excellent, great. Avast 5.0 free Antivirus is best free Antivirus i have ever used. Thanks a lot to Avast team for such a great free Antivirus software.

37. Shahnur Ahmed
    January 20th, 2010 at 22:33 | #40

i had been waiting for the release of avast 5.0 for a long time. At last i got it. Avast Free Antivirus 5.0 is awesome, excellent & great. Avast Free Antivirus 5.0 is the best free Antivirus software i have ever used. Thanks a lot to Avast team for such a great free Antivirus software.

38. Mikh
    January 20th, 2010 at 22:48 | #41

Great news! But what about licence for avast! Free Antivirus? Now its term is only one year (4.8 has 1,5 year licence) and it is nothing said about who can use it. Former licence agreement clearly stated that avast! Home is for home and non-commercial use only (both conditions should be met). Now there is no such warning on the site. Have alwil software changed its licence policy on this matter and now one can use free version also for commercial purposes (like Comodo) or not?

39. January 20th, 2010 at 22:51 | #42

@Mikh
    Hi Mikh. 4.8 is officially a 1 year license but because of some quirks in the system you could use it for about 18 months. We have eliminated most of those quirks. But to keep using V5, all you have to do is to basically click a button to extend it. So all in all it is easier. The licensing rules are the same as for 4.8–it will be clarified on the web.

40. ömer
    January 20th, 2010 at 22:51 | #43

New Versiyon Avaible…

Dowload Direct Adress..

41. Maddy
    January 20th, 2010 at 23:08 | #44

Hi Ailwil and Avast team,

Congratulations for the launch of new Avast 5. I am sure this is as big an event as was launch of Firefox 3 :)

I am using Avast free for about 3 years now, but this time, even though I am happy with better cleaning capabilities in v5, I have a feeling that Avast will become more and more commercial product with time. I am bit sad with capabilities in paid avast versions and thinking to start looking some other ‘free’ AV now. Google is a big name for ‘free’ things otherwise I feel Avast will be no different than Kaspersky..

For now, I have downloaded Avast 5, keeping safe from zero-day attacks so will install it in few days.

My regards again,
    Maddy
    India

42. January 20th, 2010 at 23:10 | #45

@Maddy
    Maddy, you are wrong. Kaspersky does not have a free product. I bet no one has a free product with the capabilities of our free product. And do remember our free product is in the Google Pack….

43. Maddy
    January 20th, 2010 at 23:53 | #46

@Vincent Steckler
    Sorry I meant to say “as commercial as Kaspersky” :P .

I actually have V5 installed now and am missing two features I liked in V4:

1. Selectively disable individual Avast 4 shields(modules). For eg, sometimes I just needed to relax P2P shield not compromising any other for that time.

2. VRDB. I hope a better cleaning engine removes the need for that :)

However, it is a good interface with many new features. Cheers for you

44. Michael
    January 21st, 2010 at 00:24 | #47

Avast 5 will be disponible in Virustotal ?

I send various samples for Virustotal and version 4.8 not detect nothing.

45. spg SCOTT
    January 21st, 2010 at 00:36 | #48

@Maddy
    1. You can still do that, you just have to open up the avast! interface and click stop the relevant shields…
    Left click avast! tray icon –> ‘Real Time shields’ –> Choose the shield –> click ‘stop’

2.VRDB is considered obsolete technology, and has been removed. It’s uses were limited and with the newer viruses it is not helpful.
    You can read here: http://blog.avast.com/2010/01/08/file-infectors-part-2/
    Michal talks about the new emulation engine and how it should help with the malware of today.

-Scott-

46. ahmad
    January 21st, 2010 at 01:05 | #49

i am from iran

and i use avast 4.8 and now iwant download and install avast 5
    avast is a best antivirus

yoohooo

47. ahmad
    January 21st, 2010 at 01:07 | #50

Avast! Version 5.0 is here!!!
    and now download it
    ahmad from iran

48. kelvin
    January 21st, 2010 at 03:26 | #51

cheers!
    from malaysia here.

49. January 21st, 2010 at 03:36 | #52

best program keep on

the one what i use and recomend

50. ddwimb
    January 21st, 2010 at 04:10 | #53

Hey there, thanks for the great product (v4.8). I have one question before I install 5 on my new system. Will this new version allow me to do a boot time scan when I am using a 64-bit operating system?

1 2 3 4 12 783