January 19th, 2010

Avast! Version 5.0 is here!!!

Today is the big day—the day we (and many of you) have been waiting for—we are starting the release of the Version 5.0 products today. This is a pretty complicated roll-out so we are staging it. Today we will be releasing the new products (and the new website) in English and French. Over the next 10 days or so, we will be releasing the products and website in additional languages (German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Russian, Polish, Chinese, Japanese, and possibly Korean, and Arabic). Other languages will then be added as we have them available.

Three products (Free Antivirus, Pro Antivirus, and Internet Security) and a new website are being released today. Even though we have expanded our product portfolio, our philosophy of having and promoting a top-notch free antivirus is paramount. This philosophy has enabled us to achieve 100 million users and we are continuing it. As you read through our new website and launch information, you will see that not only is the new free product easier to use and more visually appealing than the old product, it provides even more security protection. And it is still free and free from annoying pop-ups and requests for money.

These products are not minor updates from the existing products. They are all new. Some of the changes—such as the new user interface—are obvious. Some are not obvious at all (such as the new scanning engine). All-in-all we think they are a vast improvement from the current products—modern, light, fast, and very effective. For details, see the product detail pages on the new website.

1. Avast! Free Antivirus. This is our new flagship product and replaces Avast Home Edition (we changed the name to emphasize the product is free). We focus this product on users that use the internet for web browsing and email. If that is what you do on the internet, this is the product you need. We are very proud of this product and we stack it up against anyone else’s paid antivirus—in fact, we have recently started submitting this product in lieu of our paid products to all of the industry standard tests. Virus Bulletin, one of the most respected journals, recently called this product “….nothing short of a miracle” (see separate blog post). Google selected this product for incorporation in many of their Google Packs. You can download this product here: http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download.
  2. Avast! Internet Security. This is our brand-new product and is focused on users that do on-line banking or shopping or that have sensitive data on their computer. We believe that these users need some extra layers of protection and developed this product to provide three more layers. This product takes the free antivirus and adds a 2-way silent firewall, a sandbox, and anti-spam. The firewall ensures that only trusted applications are able to receive or send data across the internet. The sandbox provides a means of executing your browser (or any other application) in a protected environment—thus even if you get infected, the infection does not leave the sandbox and does not harm your computer. And the anti-spam helps you get rid of all that irritating email you receive every day. And, we have made this product attractive to consumer users—a single license can be used on 3 computers in your household. This link will take you to the product and download page: http://www.avast.com/internet-security.
  3. Avast! Pro Antivirus. This is the update to the old Professional Edition. We focus this product on individuals that want to customize their security and on businesses. It is the same as Internet Security but without the firewall or anti-spam. This allows world-class security using your own personal choice of firewall and anti-spam. Here is how to get this product: http://www.avast.com/pro-antivirus.

To support these products, there is also a brand new website. Today the website will only be available in English and French. But, as the other languages roll out, the language-specific websites will also.

If you are using a 4.8 product (home or professional editions), the update is pretty painless.  Sometime in the near future, the 4.8 product will tell you version 5.0 is available.  You will have the choice of a free upgrade or a special existing-user offer for the new Internet Security. All you have to do is click which option you want, and you will be upgraded. As we have about 100 million users, these messages will take a month or two to get to all users. If you don’t want to wait for this automated message, you can manually upgrade and get the same special offers by clicking on the homepage banner that asks if you are already a 4.8 user.

As you can imagine, it was a massive effort to release three new products and a new website at the same time. All of our teams have done a great job in making this happen. Development of course developed the new products. But many other teams were also involved—virus lab and research, localization and translation, website development, on-line store, and marketing.

If you are reading this at launch time, we will think of you as we celebrate with the Czech national drink……

1. MFB
    February 10th, 2010 at 06:11 | #1

I just installed avast! 5.0 on my family’s desktop today and I noticed that Microsoft Vista seems to be incapable of knowing when avast! is up to date. Is there a way to remedy this?

2. February 10th, 2010 at 07:44 | #2

PLS SEND FULL VERSON

3. Shishir Sikdar
    February 10th, 2010 at 09:03 | #3

I like it…

4. Petr Bucek
    February 10th, 2010 at 10:44 | #4

@Helder
    Hello Helder,

Update process is quite huge and we are doing it in more phases.

You can already download the new version avast! 5 Free Antivirus from our web pages:

If your current status is “NOT YET REGISTERED”, you will be prompted to fill our registration form and register.

Click on Registration in the MAINTENANCE tab, from where you can review all your current information. If you are connected to the internet, click on “Register now” button. Fill in all required and/or details, that you want to put there including “Please let us know” section and continue clicking on “Register for free license” button. Status will automatically change to “REGISTERED”.

With Kind Regards,

5. February 10th, 2010 at 11:10 | #5

mirekc :
    But what about Win98 users? I’m still using it and, as I know, Avast Home V4.8 is now the only free solution which offers real-time protection for this system. Avast V5.0 requires minimum Win2000, so it’s not for me (for now). How long updates for V4.8 will be avaliable?

Tried to post this before … nothing appeared …

Perhaps I’ve missed it, but I don’t see anyone having answered this question.

I also need to know this, as I also use W98SE (because the NT family’s compatibility with legacy applications is pathetic). Can someone from Avast please give an answer?

Also, would it be possible to use version 5 on W98 with the assistance of KernelEx (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelex/ and http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=130936)?

Thanks.

PS. I noticed a few entries from some Avira supporters. I switched to Avast when Avira stopped supporting W98. On my friend’s XP machine, it was unable to eliminate malware that had infested system areas. To my thinking, that made Avira useless for BOTH branches of Windows. Then I found Avast. It supported W98 and could eliminate malware from the system areas of XP (boot-time scan). So for me, there is no question that Avast is superior to Avira. Just my 2c worth.

6. JT
    February 10th, 2010 at 12:14 | #6

Doesn’t seem to be any mention of WHS edition or family pack. I’ll be due for renewal in a month but I am now looking for something else since there is no WHS v5 edition.

7. Petr Bucek
    February 10th, 2010 at 13:36 | #7

@martin weiler
    Hello,

Try to reinstall the program, please.

If you would like to uninstall avast! from your computer, I recommend you to follow these steps:

1. Uninstall avast! via Control Panel – Add or Remove programs. If it does not work, use our
    uninstall utility – download it from http://public.avast.com/~forejt/aswClear.exe (this is more reliable
    than the Add/Remove Programs applet). In this case you have to Disable avast! self-defense module in avast Settings
    - troubleshooting.
    2. Restart the computer.

Then download our latest version 5 of avast! Free antivirus

It can be downloaded from here:

Click on Registration in the MAINTENANCE tab, from where you can review all your current information. If you are connected to the internet, click on “Register now” button. Fill in all required and/or details, that you want to put there including “Please let us know” section and continue clicking on “Register for free license button”. Status will automatically change to “REGISTERED”.

If this solution does not work, try to submit a ticket to our support portal on support@avast.com , please.

With Kind Regards,

8. 陈江弋
    February 10th, 2010 at 13:49 | #8

很好,我喜欢它

9. zeeshan hassan
    February 10th, 2010 at 15:51 | #9

i looooooooveeeeeeee avast

10. Petr Bucek
    February 10th, 2010 at 16:37 | #10

@bronwen anderson
    Hello bronwen,

I will send you your license file to your email address through support portal.

Internet Security installation file can be downloaded from here:

Best Regards,

11. sabrina
    February 10th, 2010 at 17:22 | #11

@Petr Bucek
    I can’t seem to register myself with version 5 – when I click the ‘register for free licence’ button nothing happens! please let me know what i can do as it expires in 10 days!!!

12. February 11th, 2010 at 08:54 | #12

13. JOSIAS
    February 12th, 2010 at 09:04 | #13

I WANT TO DOWNLOAD AVAST ANTIVIRUS VERSION 5.0

14. unni
    February 12th, 2010 at 09:22 | #14

i am using avast 5.0.396..
    bt,it is showing tjat my7 license is invalid…subscription status is still active…bt,i cant update it….wat to do…?anyone pls help me……plss….

15. Ken Underwood
    February 12th, 2010 at 18:15 | #15

You chaps are brilliant! Thanks so much for the free av sw. Just, shame about the skins in 5.

16. JOHN
    February 13th, 2010 at 00:17 | #16

I STILL GOT A 2 YEAR LICENCE FOR MY 4.8 VERSION, HOW CAN I UGRADE FROM 4.8 TO 5 ?
    THANK’S!

17. mehdi
    February 14th, 2010 at 09:30 | #17

hi
    I love avast antivirus and work at 3 years
    سلام
    من عاشق آنتی ویروس اوست هستم ومدت 3 سال هست که از آن استفاده میکنم
    اگر کسی از ایران هست مشتاقم بیشتر با هم در این زمینه صحبت کنیم

18. JoRene Anderson
    February 14th, 2010 at 18:24 | #18

I can’t register my free version of Avast 5.0. The registration page does not allow me to click the Register button, as it stays greyed out even after filling in all the informaion.

19. February 16th, 2010 at 13:37 | #19

HI ever since i installed avast 5 i have had problems with signing into ebay .Everytime i sign into ebay it keeps saying interner explorer cannot display webpage.I have deleted cookies and refreshed my browser does anyone know what the problem is and how i can fix it .This as been going on for 3 days now ,thanx.

20. Petr Bucek
    February 16th, 2010 at 15:51 | #20

@unni
    Hello,

We need more information to be able to assist you. I will reply you from our support portal (email address support@avast.com) to ask you for further information.

Best Regards,

21. Petr Bucek
    February 16th, 2010 at 18:44 | #21

@JoRene Anderson
    Hello JoRene,

What is your “current status” in the program? avast! Free Antivirus is activated automatically after you fill in registration form in the program. We are not sending license keys anymore. I suppose that you are already registered even without knowing it.

With Kindest Regards,

22. sigwalt
    February 17th, 2010 at 22:13 | #22

Avast 5 is too good,I realised that after having used Avira and realised that avast is better than any other antivirus program,I use it with inobit security 360 and both work well,i would like to congratulate the avast team for this amazing product,keep up the good work guys!

1 10 11 12 783