January 19th, 2010

Avast! Free Antivirus, Version 5.0: “…nothing short of a miracle”

Virus Bulletin, one of the most respected reviewers of security products, wrote a very detailed review of the Avast 5.0 beta products in their January issue (http://www.virusbtn.com/files/Avast-Jan2010.pdf). This is a lengthy review but to me the best line was their summation of the new free product: “the free version being available to all without charge is nothing short of a miracle”. There was also a review of it in the recent AV-Comparatives test of performance/system impact. The product scored the highest rating: A+.

With the new Free Version 5.0, we attempted (and we think succeeded) to raise the bar on free security products. We decided that our new free product needed to be the best antivirus product in the world—not just the best free product. We think we have succeeded, or come darn close. Now you the users (and of course the reviewers) can let us know….

Our version 4.8 was already one of the best products available. But it did have short comings. Its user interface was, to put it mildly, unique. And its registration process was a bit cumbersome. In developing the new free product, we attempted to not only fix the shortcomings of 4.8, but to greatly expand the capability of the free product.

The free product is our flagship product. We are proud of it. It is not just a marketing product designed to drive sales. So, with the new free product, here is what we have done:

• Built an entirely new user interface. The old car stereo interface is gone replaced with a very modern and easy to use graphical interface.
  • Eliminated the email registration process. The free product still lasts for a year but now it only takes seconds online to register the product. All a person has to now do is to click a “register” button—no forms to fill out and no email information to provide.
  • Added a gaming mode—elements of this were there in 4.8 but now we have made this a central function. No need to buy someone else’s “gaming” product. All the capability is right here in the free product.
  • Ensured protection is top-notch. This was also a hallmark of the 4.8 version. We have long believed that free products should provide just as much malware protection as paid products. So in addition to the signature-based AV protection that you would expect, you also get all the modern detection techniques. Central to this is protection against web threats. These are 85% of the threats our users see—and the free product provides protection against them. There are also heuristic detections, behavioral detections, and just about any type of protection you can think of.
  • Continued our hands-off approach to asking for money. We don’t agree with how many free products try to monetize their free users. So with us, we don’t hide the free product (it is front and center on our home page); you will not see a daily pop-up asking you to upgrade; the product will not find problems and then ask for money to fix them; and we won’t scare you into upgrading. Now of course, there are sales messages. There is a message when you download the free product. There is a message when you register the free product. And at expiration time a year later, there is a message. But in all of this messaging, you are presented two choices: download/register the free product or upgrade to a premium product. The choice is yours.
  • Today January 19th, the free product (and all products) is being released in English and French. Over the next 10 days we will be rolling out the product in Czech, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian, Polish, Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.

We did not cripple the product in any way. If you use the internet for e-mail or web-browsing, this is the perfect product. No need to pay us money…..and no need to pay anyone else any money.

In short, it is just as Virus Bulletin described, “nothing short of a miracle”.

1. haggai
    January 29th, 2010 at 14:36 | #1

better

2. govind
    January 29th, 2010 at 15:20 | #2

Hello Vincent,

very much impressed with ur ver 5.

hope u switched the ui to exactly like eset,

It seems u r hammering ur competitors like avg, avira and escan indirectly,

But u r true to an extent,

Most of the vendors use their free product just to nag with a daily pop (which the product must block) and threaten users, to purchase their paid products,

Avira- high detection rate with higer fp.
    daily nag screens, single update daily that too with slower update servers,
    very slow responsive awkward gui,

Avg- memory eater,
    lets the malware freely in to your system especially during web browsing,

escan tookit utily detects malware and asks to register the disinfection,

Can u consider my suggestions posted below:

please provide a toolkit utility ( like the kaspersky free toolkit utility ) to clean a severly infected system with no hope of installing an antivirus product.

Finally,

congrats for saving our money (especialy during this global recession ) with a world class product.

3. January 30th, 2010 at 00:49 | #3

one of the best Antivirous

4. COULETSOU
    January 30th, 2010 at 05:10 | #4

good day! i’v bn using avast for 2 years now and i am satisfied with its features..now that there is a higher version, i would like to have it so i can continue using it with higher efficiency to protect my PC.

thanks!

5. January 30th, 2010 at 06:30 | #5

anti

6. virginiaalbert
    January 30th, 2010 at 10:41 | #6

LooksOK!Stilltryingtodownload.

7. Gordan Puzovic
    January 30th, 2010 at 14:23 | #7

You are the best

8. Henk Renkema
    January 30th, 2010 at 19:39 | #8

going good!!!

9. January 30th, 2010 at 21:41 | #9

I would like to get Free Avast Anti-Virus, but don’t know how. I saw it on Google. Thank You,

gaile13@juno.com

10. alok shaha
    January 30th, 2010 at 23:45 | #10

i would like to get free avast anti-virus version 5.o thank you,

11. alok shaha
    January 30th, 2010 at 23:53 | #11

I WOULD LIKE TO GET FREE AVAST ANTI-VIRUS VERSION 5.0 THANK YOU,

12. Fire Flower
    January 31st, 2010 at 08:58 | #12

Nice work and good, I’ve been using this Anti-Virus last 1 year and know they upgrade it gosh this is really great. This is the best Anti-Virus that i ever seen and used. More power Avast!

13. aly tahmasdby
    January 31st, 2010 at 12:36 | #13

Inform you that I deleted antivirus and downloaded Avast Anti-Virus ,But I do not know if I did it correct ,Because I do not see AVAST icon anywhere ! Please let me to do it correct .

14. January 31st, 2010 at 13:02 | #14

it is really cool

15. January 31st, 2010 at 16:03 | #15

gostaria de estalar este antes virus de teste obrigado boa tarde

16. DERRICK LOKKO
    January 31st, 2010 at 18:10 | #16

pls i want to download latest version of avast

17. Derek
    January 31st, 2010 at 18:47 | #17

Very good program. I have recommended this to many, many people over any other virus protection. The new registration is much easier, and the looks are sharp. Great job everyone! I’m really thinking about using my last $60 at the moment to play in the sandbox… ;)

18. amit
    January 31st, 2010 at 18:53 | #18

i would like to get avast, b coz i have been using it for quite a long time and i like the it scans system deeply

19. amit
    January 31st, 2010 at 18:54 | #19

i would like to get the avast home

20. Athos
    January 31st, 2010 at 19:46 | #20

Simply the best free antivirus.

Keep up the good work! :)

21. Charlie Seay
    February 1st, 2010 at 04:04 | #21

I have been using Avast since v3 and I would quit my job and become a salesman I believe in it so much. I have never seen a product work so well and I even called Symantec, which my company has paid $ thousands, and suggested they take some AV classes from you guys.

Thanks for an awesome product!

22. Sukesh
    February 1st, 2010 at 04:52 | #22

Am using this Avast Anti Virus Software right after purchasing my new Personnel Computer till date now i visited this site for new update of VPS. But i was shocked that avast 5.0 version is available……am downloading it now….and also i recommended all my friends to use Avast Antivirus software………..

23. sunday
    February 1st, 2010 at 10:22 | #23

I will try it later.

24. nabi shah
    February 1st, 2010 at 12:27 | #24

hi,
    i am so pleased with the new version, but i am facing problem with its mannual update download. please tell me how can i get rid of this problem.
    thanks

25. Lorraine
    February 1st, 2010 at 16:49 | #25

Is the free version compatiable with Windows 7?

26. Lorraine
    February 1st, 2010 at 16:50 | #26

Is the free version compatiable to Windows 7?

27. giannis
    February 1st, 2010 at 18:50 | #27

δωρεαν το AVAST

28. Malachi
    February 1st, 2010 at 19:39 | #28

I just want to thank you for providing such an awesome antivirus. My computer had encountered several problems with the registry previously and so i had not been able to download any antivirus programs. Two days ago, my computer contracted a virus, so in desperation I installed avast. Avast literally crushed it with it’s powerful boot-scan and also detected a couple of rootkits which had been hiding in my computer for a while. I am extremely impressed by avast 5, which is both easy to use and extremely effective, so i am recommending it to all my friends and anyone who reads this! Well done and keep up the good work!

29. John
    February 2nd, 2010 at 02:08 | #29

@Gail E. Hart
    I’m pleased with avast but cannot register code key number to registration site, even though follow instructions, just encounter loop. advise anyone???

30. John
    February 2nd, 2010 at 02:13 | #30

Have encountered problem with registration, received license key, but proceed to follow instructions to register my avast, but land up in loop, when reach web site error 404 comes up, tried many different approaches, but to know avail. Any suggestions of how to get through to register

31. tracy hadley
    February 2nd, 2010 at 07:33 | #31

GOOD WORK

32. preet
    February 2nd, 2010 at 15:45 | #32

33. February 2nd, 2010 at 22:27 | #33

monsieur, je possède en version d’essai avast pro 4.8 et je ne peux pas le désinstaller dans mon panneau de configuration pour en mettre une autre version puovez vous m’aider merci et cordiales salutations

34. February 3rd, 2010 at 07:40 | #34

thanks to awat team

35. February 3rd, 2010 at 16:16 | #35

@nabi shah
    updates are downloaded and installed automatically in avast program, but if you still feel you need off-line one, please go here: http://www.avast.com/download-update. Still problems? then please contact support.avast.com

36. wongpor
    February 4th, 2010 at 04:56 | #36

download

37. Bsa
    February 4th, 2010 at 11:43 | #37

I cant update this new version pls help me …..

38. Andrew Valle
    February 4th, 2010 at 11:48 | #38

Better interface!!! Never liked the previous radio-like GUI

39. Marcos P. Tene
    February 4th, 2010 at 12:23 | #39

I like to use avast because, it is user friendly. And helps me protecting my comuters.

40. Mara Smith
    February 4th, 2010 at 14:55 | #40

The regular upgrades made on a daily basis and sometimes more frequently, make me feel secure with Free Avast

41. m
    February 4th, 2010 at 19:05 | #41

Indeed a good product but some of the executable virus not being caught by latest avast free. Had been better if some sort of submit suspicious file option would have been there

42. February 4th, 2010 at 20:11 | #42

i am trying to take this off my computer.. and it is not letting me…Not sure why.
    I am in Control Panel… Add/Remove.. and trying to take Avast off.. and I can’t.
    Just won’t let me.

43. Rashmikant Raval-Ahmedabad India
    February 4th, 2010 at 20:17 | #43

@Gail E. Hart

February 4th, 2010 at 20:01 | #44 Reply | Quote
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    @preet
    Dear, I am Raval fro Ahmedabad city of Gujarat India.
    After getting dis satisfaction from licenced version of other companies, I just visited http://www.avast.com to understand my problems and to get solutions.
    Really speaking, I had no plan to install FREE HOME EDITION OF AVAST_5 version but while going in home page of Avast, I read ” FREE DOWN LOAD AVAST HOME EDITION”” and I thought to spoil my time to try it out.
    I clicked on that link and downloaded version5 spoiling ( at that time I was thinking that I am spoiling my time !! Great myself )
    It took 30 minutes, I did my other work when installation was going on.
    Then, it was installed, I run it ( It means I scanned my PC through avast5 ) and it was great that I had 165 virus in my PC though I was using other virus software.
    I cleaned my computer and it is now trouble free…..
    Congrates to AVAST SOFTWARE ENGINEERS>>>>>
    It is my advise to go for this free version rather than spending money in licensed software and inviting problems of virus.
    Regards,
    Raval Rashmikant
    Country Head- Printed Circuit Boards
    International Marketing ( USA Europe)
    Email ” rashmikantraval@dataone.in

44. Rashmikant Raval-Ahmedabad India
    February 4th, 2010 at 20:27 | #44

@Bsa
    February 4th, 2010 at 20:01 | #44 Reply | Quote
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    @B S A

Dear, I am Raval fro Ahmedabad city of Gujarat India.
    It took 30 minutes, I did my other work when installation was going on.
    I cleaned my computer and it is now trouble free…..
    Congrates to AVAST SOFTWARE ENGINEERS>>>>>
    Regards,
    Raval Rashmikant
    Country Head- Printed Circuit Boards
    International Marketing ( USA Europe)
    Email ” rashmikantraval@dataone.in

45. February 5th, 2010 at 03:18 | #45

Hi Avast team! I just want to tell you all that I really appreciate you making a quality free product for personal use. I have used Kaspersky, Norton, and McAfee – all good products, but not free. I discovered your product through cnet – I’m glad I did. As a student it’s great to be able to save a little bit of money (even though $60 bucks may not seem a lot in one year, it is :D). Thanks again, and I hope your company continues to succeed.

Thanks, Joe

46. Budie
    February 5th, 2010 at 10:07 | #46

Hei…where the link to download updates(vpsupd)??

47. February 5th, 2010 at 12:34 | #47

Avast the best virus, trojan protection anyone could have on their computer and advise others it is the best. Thank you Avast for providing to those of us that can not affort to purchase those huge priced programs. Thank you for giving the
    WWW something back that you have to give. May God always you, your Employees, their families, friends and relatives.
    Tommy A Walters

48. Petr Bucek
    February 5th, 2010 at 16:38 | #48

@Budie

Hello Budie,

You can download the file VpsUpd.exe from our web page http://www.avast.com/eng/updates.html
    and copy it to some kind of removable media. Then copy this file to your computer without or with slow
    internet connection and run it. It will immediately update avast! virus data base.

Best Regards,

49. February 5th, 2010 at 23:29 | #49

Have been a avast member for awhile and now am a paid user.v4.8 pro.

helped out on a mates computer by setting up free avast.Problem is we get the blue

screen of death with message if not or equal.We know its avast as when we delete

avast everything works fine.Any help apreciated (Avast simply the best paid or free

50. john walters
    February 5th, 2010 at 23:32 | #50

I would like to down load your free version