December 3rd, 2009

Avast and Google Chrome

As we get close to our launch date for our new Avast! Free Antivirus, version 5 we have an exciting new agreement with Google to announce. Starting in mid-November, we will be giving our new users an option to install Google Chrome when installing Avast. And to be clear here since I think some readers were reading too much into this entry.  We are not forcing Chrome on users.  It is entirely up to the user–to download/install is entirely up to the user and nothing is hidden.

Personally, I think Google Chrome is an exciting new browser. As you can see below it is very clean—a single menu bar and a combined search/url entry window.  It also launches very fast, its source code is open source, and most important for Avast users, it has some real neat features that complement the Avast security. You can read more about it here: http://www.google.com/chrome?hl=en.

As you can imagine software companies approach us all the time wanting us to bundle their products with ours. We have always said no to these arrangements. However, with Chrome we feel that it is a nice complement to our product. And Google’s Google philosophy is similar to ours—Chrome are both full-featured excellent products that happen to be free.

1. Jwwestiii
    December 6th, 2009 at 10:37 | #1

I have been using Avast and Chrome for sometime now, and I am generally pleased with both of them, especially AVAST, with which I can safely say I have had NO virus infiltrations since its installation. Chrome’s minimalist style is a major attraction, but is speed is second to none. I still use Firefox because of the number of add-ons and extensions, but Chrome is in the process of providing those as well. If you have not used Chrome, you certainly should take a look at it. If you have not tried AVAST then I give the same advice, its a first rate anti-virus, which on its own merits, and in my opinion, is much better than Norton or McAfee.

2. sirnh1
    December 6th, 2009 at 13:17 | #2

Vincent Steckler :
    @sirnh1
    The layman (such as my mother) would not use Opera. They want a name they have heard of and trust.

My mother would rather use something that’s safe and doesn’t have these major privacy issues…

vlk :
    What Vince is talking about is mainly related to the tab sandboxing feature.

Sandboxing? That’s the only reason? If I want sandboxing I’ll use sandboxie or Bufferzone (from trustware) or ‘Returnil Virtual System’ or anything else. Trusting a browser just because it has ‘sandboxing’, is stupid. Just because it has sandboxing doesn’t mean it’s the best (and safest) thing out there. Besides a good virusscanner should be able to catch (and remove) a virus/spyware/rootkit/… the moment it’s executed, no matter what happens. Sandboxing shouldn’t have any influence over it. Chrome is fast and opensource, but so what? Opensource isn’t an argument, unless you downloaded the source and changed it yourself, and there are more important things than speed (like supporting rss, mouse gestures, etc…)

3. December 6th, 2009 at 20:11 | #3

Sandboxing? That’s the only reason?

Reason for what? I was only explaining what Vince meant by the security features.

Even if you were your mother?
    If you have used any of these applications, you probably know that they have certain usability issues. Also, none of the applications you quoted is free.

Trusting a browser just because it has ’sandboxing’, is stupid. Just because it has sandboxing doesn’t mean it’s the best (and safest) thing out there.

No it doesn’t. Did we say it does?
    But on the other hand, sandboxing does make a difference.

Isn’t it great to have choices? I mean, it seems like you installed Chrome, played with it and concluded that you it was not your cup of tea. And that’s perfectly fine. We are not pushing anyone into using anything.

What’s the problem, really?

4. Arthur
    December 6th, 2009 at 21:27 | #4

Your just going to lose a lot of customers.

Many,many, people see Google as BIG BROTHER.

And Google Chrome knows where you have been and what you did.

You forget Google is one big information GIANT.

Hope some of you get to read this before its deleted.

5. Chris
    December 6th, 2009 at 22:15 | #5

I think Avast!’s move to bundle Chrome with it’s download is a great move for both Alwil and Google. I love Avast! for a whole number of reasons (lightweight, effective, unobtrusive,fast,etc.,etc.) and Chrome, even though I’ve chosen to uninstall it, is just as much of those things from Google. Great strategic move on the part of both. It won’t be long before Avast! and Chrome will be picking up another 15% market share and for good reason.

6. December 6th, 2009 at 22:23 | #6

@Arthur
    Arthur, all browsers know where you have been and what you did. And, we are not forcing Chrome on anyone. There is no reason to lose users. Chrome is there if people want it. Nothing more. Nothing less. And, we as you will note, we do not censor or remove comments we don’t like. So there is no hurry with anyone reading your note. It will not be deleted.

7. December 6th, 2009 at 22:25 | #7

@sirnh1
    Sirnh1, As we have said, we are not mandating Chrome or forcing a download on people. If someone wants it, they have to click a box to download it. It is a matter of choice. We can all make arguments as to why one product is better than another.

8. Don in Missouri
    December 6th, 2009 at 23:16 | #8

@Arthur

I read it and agree Google does keep and share with the govt your internet history.
    You are correct in saying that. However, the NSA is so dayam advanced and invasive it really doesn’t matter, LOL. They see anything they want. They even listen in on private calls by military intel peeps.

9. December 6th, 2009 at 23:16 | #9

I didn’t got a reply about my problem to not seeing Chrome anywhere in the installation, as aways…
    Well, all I can say is that Chrome isn’t the safer browser in the market, and the features being implemented now was implemented 10 years ago by Opera Software.

I’m not giving personal option, I’m showing you the facts, wasn’t me who made the security tests and I’m not able to change the history.

Then, I can’t agree with 90% of the people here. I’m smart enough to do not agree.
    Sorry, thanks for not deleting this.

10. December 6th, 2009 at 23:34 | #10

@Rafael
    Rafael,

Please give us a break. The last time we communicated on this was Friday evening. It is now Sunday evening. There are some conditions upon which a chrome download offer is not made. I am sure Ondrej will respond soon.

11. December 6th, 2009 at 23:35 | #11

@Don in Missouri
    Don, that is a heck of a consipiracy theory. I would suggest asking google about your claim.

12. samad
    December 7th, 2009 at 00:57 | #12

Hey – I’ve been using Avast for a few years now and it’s truly brilliant – just the odd one or two near misses – but still outstanding for a free AV and EPIC compared to paid versions of Norton – Google chrome is really fast and quite good but still has a few flaws here and there + i don’t think bundling products is a bad thing TBH as long as they’re good quality plus it’s convenient if you’ve a new PC/Laptop and have no re-installed AV or browser so overall i think the bundling was a good thing and you guys should bundle free stuff as well – Goodluck with Ver5

13. Davis
    December 7th, 2009 at 03:41 | #13

Is it really that hard for everyone to understand that just because it has the OPTION to download/install Chrome with it that it is not being forced on you? Seriously I couldn’t count the number of times I have downloaded something and it asks me if I want to install the Ask Toolbar with it or something similar. As to the govt. seeing what you do there are two reasons you should care,

1) Violation of civil rights, etc.
    2) You are doing something illegal to begin with and trying to hide it.

In my experience most people who claim the first one as their reason, are actually loaded with gigs of illegal content. If this is you then maybe you should read the installers, and simply click “no I do not want Google Chrome” – problem solved.

As for Avast its a great, free AV, I switched to it after AVG wouldn’t let me tell it that an installer was not a virus without uninstalling AVG completely.

In summary, if you don’t want Chrome then don’t install it, and Avast kicks ass.

14. Mark Jenks
    December 7th, 2009 at 04:04 | #14

@Arthur
    You can get medication for paraniod schitzophrenia. You shold see a doctor.

15. December 7th, 2009 at 05:43 | #15

Vince,

Nice article from one of biggest news website in Indonesia that discuss about avast and google chrome collaboration.

Please visit : http://www.detikinet.com/read/2009/12/07/092344/1255161/317/google-chrome-dilindungi-antivirus-avast

Regards,
    Yanto Chiang

16. sirnh1
    December 7th, 2009 at 15:36 | #16

vlk :

And I’m talking about why avast would include chrome into it’s installer. I just don’t get why.

vlk :
    Even if you were your mother?

You can use Sandboxie for free, after 30 days it shows a screen that you can pay for a lifetime license. Returnil Virtual System Has a ‘Home free’ version, that is… free. Bufferzone indeed doesn’t have a free version, but is still great.

“What’s the problem, really?”
    I don’t really have a problem. I only still don’t get why chrome was embedded. I would expect more reasons then only fast launching, open source and sandboxed tabs. That’s all.
    I don’t mind avast embedding something in it’s installer (I uncheck anything in most installers anyway). I just don’t get why they embed chrome, into it’s installer.

17. nanachel
    December 7th, 2009 at 16:59 | #17

Just started using Chrome more, have always had Avast on this computer. First thing I did was install Avast and uninstall the preloaded anti-virus programs that came with it. I love Avast!!Was having problems loading some websites on Chrome and found that I had to install the latest Java update to get Chrome to run properly. So if you are offering the Chrome option when downloading Avast it should include the latest version of Java too. Otherwise Chrome will display “URL not Supported” on a lot of websites.

18. stereoplegic
    December 7th, 2009 at 19:31 | #18

As a user who prefers the paranoid approach, I used Firefox because of its available security extensions (esp. NoScript, AdBlock Plus, Cookie Monster, WOT, and BetterPrivacy), the only type of extensions I install. That said, Chrome is making great strides. Once I see support for such add-ons in Chrome, I may very well make the switch myself. It’s speed alone is truly commendable, much like avast! (my preferred AV for years, for that reason as well as its superior detection). Best of luck w/ 5.0. Can’t wait!

19. December 8th, 2009 at 00:45 | #19

@Vincent Steckler That’s ok, I’ve saw it here: http://www.baboo.com.br/conteudo/modelos/?a=37226&z=317

That’s clearly an option, cool.. ^^
    Very different from some software like Messenger Plus Live that make us to doubt about what we are agreeing to install. :P

20. JKA
    December 8th, 2009 at 03:40 | #20

I hope Avast will apply Script blocker in to the google chrome just like Internet Explorer. But I hope it will also be applied in other browser..

21. greatwroth
    December 8th, 2009 at 08:26 | #21

Yes, Google Chrome is an excellent browser that many people still don’t know about. This is perfect, finally completing the connection between the best AV program and the best internet browser. I’m practically exploding with anticipation. But PLEASE keep the skins.

22. December 8th, 2009 at 09:01 | #22

I’ve been an Avast user for 4+ years and a Firefox user for 5 and I don’t see any reason now or in the future for me to use any other browser so thanks, but no thanks to Chrome. But for those concerned, bundling 3rd party software happens all of the time. Sun offers the Yahoo toolbar when you install Java for example.
    As far as I’m aware, the option to install Chrome is not checked by default which is a smart and classy move on Avast’s part.

It isn’t news to anyone that Google’s revenue is mind blowing so no one should be surprised that Avast has agreed to this. Avast has saved me more time and money than even I’m aware of so if they can generate some $ to get back some of what they give us all for free, then good for them. Go for it.

I love Avast and can’t imagine ever having a reason to use anything else. I wouldn’t download or install anything, or open an email in my email client (Mozilla Thunderbird) without Avast running.

Thanks Avast. You rock!

23. Roger
    December 8th, 2009 at 11:38 | #23

I am extrememly dissapointed about the new that Google Chome will be included with Avst. I coudn’t care less if it is not installed by default, I don’t want in included with the installer at all.

I know that lots of companies are including other programs or toolbars – however I have no time for these applications either.

I guess it’s time to switch to another antivirus.

24. vagelis
    December 8th, 2009 at 11:51 | #24

Hi to all,

I’m an old an loyal customer of Avast for the last 6 years. I have been using lots of other antivirus products before but since then I didn’t do any other try. Avast is safe, it’s light and it’s fast, it has push updates so I have peace of mind.

I’m glad to see that Google choosed Avast since Google Chrome is light and fast and easy to use. I was using Firefox since version 1 , then on vesrion 2 where it was mauch better than IE.

But after releasing version 3 it became slowest even from IE. More bugs and security issues made me to move to Chrome and I love it.

Well done Avast.

Regards

Vagelis

25. John Helsley
    December 8th, 2009 at 20:10 | #25

Google Chrome does work faster, but I have found a few bugs in it which I can’t live with. The one most irritating is that when I forward a Gmail email which has imbedded pictures/graphics in it, most of the time it does not forward the pictures. The recipients only get blank boxes with a red “X” in the box.

26. December 9th, 2009 at 04:40 | #26

Hi Vince,

Another good news about google chrome in Indonesia, from Yahoo! indonesia wrote an article about google chrome bundle with avast : http://id.news.yahoo.com/dtik/20091207/ttc-google-chrome-dilindungi-antivirus-a-f0a1c5d.html

Regards,
    Yanto Chiang
    Prima Partner Infotek

27. anothermack
    December 9th, 2009 at 06:11 | #27

I still think that for a security software company, it’s best not to link to anyone else, thus simply avoiding that anybody questions neutrality. Look at Comodo. It’s about trust. And of all possible bundles you choose Google. The company that wants to know your habits. A pity…
    A long time avast user
    brgds
    mack

28. anothermack
    December 9th, 2009 at 06:25 | #28

Not to mention that now Avast Free in reviews will be in the ‘bundled’, or ‘adware’, or ‘ad supported’ category, instead of pure freeware…Like AVG, Comodo, and all those that old style Avast users would have begatively commented on.

Hope you get some good money out of your Google deal,

brgds
    mack

29. JKA
    December 9th, 2009 at 08:56 | #29

I hope avast 5 will still be light and less resources unlike Avira, AVG especially Kaspersky..

30. December 9th, 2009 at 12:27 | #30

anothermack :
    Hope you get some good money out of your Google deal,
    brgds
    mack

Hi Friends,

Does my information bother you?
    Or perhaps avast products is better than your products?

Regards,
    Yanto Chiang

31. December 9th, 2009 at 12:31 | #31

Hi anothermack,

I need to pointed out about bundle or OEM products.
    Does you know how many products in this world, doesn’t take OEM or bundling with other brands?
    I’ll show to you :
    1. Symantec – bundling with some notebook vendor
    2. Kaspersky – bundling with some notebook vendor and also their engine OEM to some AV brands too
    3. McAfee – bundling with some notebook vendor

That is 3 particular brands that we can see, but for other AV vendors.
    To be honest, i don’t know about how they are do OEM or bundling promo with other vendor.

I think vince more know deeply about this, since he ever worked for one of quite popular antivirus vendor.

32. December 10th, 2009 at 09:53 | #32

@anothermack
    Anothermack, we are not “bundled”, “adware” or any of that other stuff. This is a simple question to users. I think many, many would disagree that Comodo is just about trust. Remember please that Comodo makes money by selling SSL certificates.

33. December 10th, 2009 at 09:54 | #33

@Rafael
    Rafael, the bundling is not being offered currently in Brazil. That is why you did not see it.

34. December 10th, 2009 at 09:58 | #34

@Roger
    Roger, I fail to understand. We ask a user a question and that warrants replacing one of the best security products on the market? What will you use? AVG puts in a toolbar whether you want it or not. So does Norton. Avira gives you an ad every day. PCTools finds problems (and maybe some that are not problems) and then asks you for money to fix them. The list goes on and on. I would be we are the best behaved product on the market. Why switch?

35. Bob Greene
    December 10th, 2009 at 13:49 | #35

Open source works well with FireFox, so we should continue to find good results with another, attractive open source-based product like Chrome.

That said, Alwil’s decision to allow users to choose whether to install Chrome is a good one, since many of us are happy with FireFox.

36. HISTORY
    December 11th, 2009 at 08:13 | #36

Hallo Avast team.
    chould you learn from history, the history of trust, the trust from us, the users that, when trust apears will buy your software again and again.

I agre with Roger:

>> Roger December 8th, 2009 at 11:38

I guess it’s time to switch to another antivirus. <<

Dont sell to Google.

firefox ore chrome ?? its the same.. try about:config in your firefox adressbar
    and hit enter…

———————————————

regards from history

37. December 12th, 2009 at 21:00 | #37

First point, I fail to understand why people are raging about Google Chrome when there is an option for you NOT to install it. I am also wary of bundled software, but hey, we must remember this is business. And may I also correct some people based on my understanding, just included the option to install Google Chrome. If you guys know how Google Chrome is installed, then you will understand that it is not bundled or included in the Avast installation, not like what other AVs are doing wherein the installer is already in the package. When the option NOT to install is advocated, the product’s installer doesn’t activate. From what I know, Google’s installer downloads it from the website. So I don’t know where the bundling is. It is simply an option.

Second Point. Google Chrome is also a secure browser. It is not perfect. In fact, I challenge anyone who will tell me there is a perfect browser and I will blatantly tell you to live on the moon as that is Utopic. So it does still go perfectly with a Security Program as opposed to a toolbar. Good riddance. Those software are annoying as compared to a browser, and you even have the option NOT to install it. So where is the problem?

Inclusion of product for installation doesn’t mean also that Alwil will take sides with Google. Plain and simple guys. If you are so annoyed with Google’s way of doing business, then by all means, don’t browse the internet as they are all over the place. Paranoia is helpful to a certain extent. But extremes of it will do more damage. But definitely, a browser is even much better compared to a toolbar. So why the fuzz? Privacy? Don’t use the net. Plain and simple.

And oh yeah… Alwil’s inclusion to add a browser option to their installation just shows they are confident about their product. It simply means, they can protect your computer while you surf with the optional browser. It is like even encouraging you to go ahead and surf since we can protect you. But Chrome or no Chrome, the product does protect you. And may I add, trend shows that all browsers are gearing towards being secure. So nothing fancy there.

Compare that to some fancy paid AVs (paid or not) that will tell you that the additional toolbar will help you to have a secure PC or a secure online experience when used in tandem with their product (so the AV is inadequate then?). Question is, that is not a toolbar’s job. It is the AV’s job (or internet security suite’s) to make sure that you have a secure online experience.

Mikos

38. Roger
    December 14th, 2009 at 06:35 | #38

@Vincent Steckler

To be honest with you 99% of the time I use absolutely no antivirus or security suite and use the standard Windows firewall with nothing at all installed to give me any kind of real time protection against malware.

I visit many sites which could be considered unsafe but it is very rare indeed for me to infected. Also I currently use Avant Browser (Internet Explorer based).

Occasionally I install security software – not to provide with protection but just to test out differnet software and compare the interfaces of different AV software.

With regards to Avast, I have installed it on many computers (and have used it on my compuers in the past) and the beta of version 5 seems to be working very well.

I do regard it as the best free antivirus, and on the whole I think for personal use the free Avast is a better option than any of the commercial products.

I guess I will continue to install Avast on peoples computers simply because it works very well and there are for example never any problems in receiving the automatic defination updates. However I am not at all happy about the inclusion of Chrome (and would feel the same way about any browser of 3rd party toolbar included). A have found that a lot of people have Chrome installed due it being bundled with other software, but only ever use Internet Explorer…

39. Mikos
    December 15th, 2009 at 13:34 | #39

The problem with most people:

1) They IMPOSE their likes on other people. Only thing I can say: GROW UP. This is the internet age. Who cares if you don’t like Chrome bein an option in Avast? You are not the ONLY one who has preferences. Besides, this is life. We need to have a lot of options. If you don’t like any optioNs, then DON’T USE THE WEB.

2) They are too stuck up with privacy issues. Simple answer: Don’t go out of your house if you fear Google trying to watch your every move. As I have said, paranoia doesn’t like people who has issues with almost everything.

Chrome is a browser. So what if it is included as an option? Duh!!! Some people just don’t get it. Just my two cents worth on this. People always have a choice. Now I believe it is perfectly wrong also NOT TO OFFER these choices to other people. After all, WE ARE NOT THE ONLY ONES USING THE WEB. To say that the option should not even be there, how selfish one could get. Be happy there are options.

Mikos

40. Brian
    December 18th, 2009 at 15:58 | #40

Seasons Greetings to all:

I have just gone through this blog of comments. So here’s my 2 cents worth.

Avast home edition is worth every penny you don’t have to spend, It’s an investment if you upgrade to Pro, which I did two years ago. Never a regret since. The team at Avast is professional, credible and on top of their game.. Enough said.

For those of you who keep your head buried in the sand, about options and choices that are available to you I say grow up, get a life and look in the mirror the next time you want to whine! Offering Google Chrome as an option is just that. It’s not a conspiracy, it’s not a threat, it’s not a life threatening decision. Just make an intelligent decision, if you are capable, and enjoy the benefits. Avast only wants your continued support if they earn it and so far they have. It’s a great product, free or paid for. I made the decision to pay for it because it is worth it. As for the options, thats my decision to make, not whine about. Thanks Avast.

41. Alan
    December 18th, 2009 at 22:20 | #41

I’m having a hard time understanding peoples problem with being asked if they want to install Chrome when installing Avast. I’m assuming a lot of the detractors posting here already have Avast installed so they have never even been asked this question. Avast is one of the best products on the market, provided for free if needed (which I do) and uninstalling because of a question you’ll be asked once seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Also to say thank you Alwil and looking forward to Avast 5.

42. Björn Lundahl
    December 19th, 2009 at 00:37 | #42

Hi, now WOT works with Google Chrome! Fantastic!

You can download it here:

43. Björn Lundahl
    December 20th, 2009 at 11:26 | #43

Hi again, I forgot to point out that Google Chrome will only work with Google Chrome version 4.0.249.30

It seems that you can download it here:

44. Björn Lundahl
    December 20th, 2009 at 11:28 | #44

Sorry, I meant that WOT will only work with Google Chrome version 4.0.249.30

It seems that you can download it here:

45. Björn Lundahl
    December 20th, 2009 at 11:32 | #45

Sorry I meant that WOT will only work with Google Chrome version 4.0.249.30 which you can download by clicking above link.

46. Trevor
    December 21st, 2009 at 19:14 | #46

@Vincent Steckler

47. Sam
    December 23rd, 2009 at 07:48 | #47

I can’t believe all the whining. You go into a hamburger joint and order a hamburger and the kid taking your order asks if you want fries with that. Is that a conspiracy. Can you say no? Are you afraid that they will go ahead and put fries in your order even tho you didn’t order them? Come on people. You are offered a product. You have the option of accepting it. If you don’t check it you will not get it. I’m not a Chrome fan, but don’t whine when someone offers you something. Grow up.
    Thanks avast. You have a very good product.

48. GuyCronus
    December 24th, 2009 at 14:41 | #48

Just wanted to say to all those flaming Chrome that you have to understand how new it is compared to all these other browsers and how quickly it has advanced since its creation. Already they have more users than any browser but FF. It’s also very user friendly, and for those concerned about security… that’s why we have avast!
    If that isn’t good enough, then like they have stated very clearly: It’s optional.

49. iNsuRRecTiON
    December 25th, 2009 at 05:15 | #49

Hi there,

first, happy xmas :)

Second, this bundle gives you money from google!

So, user should get the sandbox function from the Avast 5 Pro version for free, which are using this bundle/offer from you..!

regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

50. Mikos
    December 27th, 2009 at 12:21 | #50

From Trevor:

“It doesn’t really matter what software you are “bundleing”, you will be guilty of tricking people into installing Chrome. And it will be tricking people. Some people will not read the question and will just assume that it is a part of the installation process of Avast and will tick “yes”. The next thing they know is that they have an unwanted program on their PC. This is exactly how peoples browsers become infested with all those damned tool bars. You could say that it would be their fault, and you would be right. However, that is exactly the process that you want to happen and, therefore, why you should not be doing this.”

Whoaaa!!! I have never seen someone place words in someone else’s mouth as nasty as this comment. A few things:

1) How sure are you that this is the intention of Avast? What a lame excuse albeit an alibi to flame about the Google Chrome inclusion.

2) People SHOULD ALWAYS READ what is on their screens before they do anything.

Sorry Trevor but I find your comment really downgrading of people who use the web. In the first place, in case it NEVER OCCURRED TO YOU, people should be reading what is on their screens. Now if you are one of those that doesn’t read them because of being too lazy, then by all means don’t pass the blame to Avast. Duh!!! As I kept saying, laziness and too much paranoia causes a lot of problems. Of course it is the fault of the one installing as she/he should be AWARE of what he is doing. If people get unwanted toolbars into their browsers because they were not reading, IT IS NOT THE FAULT OF THE COMPANY if they have been reading carefully.

People should be more responsible of their choices and their internet habits instead of blaming others for their issues. What a lousy way to gripe about Chrome.

By the way, Trevor, do give some slack to some web users. We are more intelligent than you make it sound in your comment. If others are not that careful, THAT IS THEIR PROBLEM, not Avast.

It is almost New Year, perhaps time for you to re-evaluate your surfing and net habits.

Mikos