November 30th, 2009

So, When is Version 5 Coming Out?

I know that many of our users have been asking this question for quite a while. We can now give the answer—after the holidays and very early in 2010. We will announce the specific date shortly before the actual release.

On Saturday finished the last major milestone before the general release when we released the public beta of the Version 5 Internet Security (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=51331.0). Additionally the beta of the new Free AntiVirus (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=51330.0) has now been out for a couple of months and has about 300,000 users. If you have not yet tried one of these products, I encourage you to do so and think you will be very impressed. We have loaded all three new products with lots of features. And we have actually increased the capabilities of the free product. Here is what we will now have:

Avast! Free Antivirus. This is the new name of Avast! Home Edition. It has a completely new user interface (good bye car radio interface) along with a lot of new features. For protection, it has signatures, heuristics, behavior detection, infected web site detection, malicious website detection, and detection of potentially unwanted programs. I doubt there are any other free programs with this amount of protection in the free product. And I know of many paid programs that do not have this amount of protection. It also has a gamer/silent mode so that when you are running games, movies, or other full screen applications, the AV program will leave you alone and not interrupt your game or movie. We have also made it smaller and faster. And of course, any current user of Avast! Home Edition will be offered a free upgrade to this new product.

Avast! Pro Antivirus. This is the new name of Avast! Professional Edition. It is similar to the Free Antivirus but adds a number of new features. Most importantly, it adds a sandbox (or virtualization). This allows you to run your browser (or any other application) inside the sandbox so that if you are browsing to dangerous websites (perhaps purposefully) or executing suspect programs, any damage will be limited within the sandbox and will not affect your computer. We think this is an exciting new feature and only one or two other products on the market offer this capability. And for advanced users, we also offer this sandbox in a 64-bit environment which we think is unique. And as with the Free Antivirus, current users of Avast! Professional Edition will be offered a free upgrade to this product. Licensing-wise, this product will be available in 1-user and 3-user packs for the home.

Avast! Internet Security. This is our new flagship product and we are excited by it. It takes the Pro Antivirus and adds two internet security capabilities: anti-spam and a 2-way silent firewall. The anti-spam does exactly what you expect—filter out spam messages. I personally find this feature useful as I see that the ISPs, mail providers, etc. are not doing as well at filtering out spam as they did a few years ago. And the firewall is one of the easiest and best I have used. For most users it is completely transparent—they never have to adjust the settings. For the power users, the detailed settings are all quickly available.

With these three new products, we now have a security product for everyone. Avast! Free Antivirus is perfect for people using the internet for email and web browsing. Avast! Internet Security is designed to protect people that user the internet for more critical functions such as online banking and online buying. And, Avast! Pro Antivirus is perfect for the advanced user that wants additional controls.

Categories: CEO's corner Tags: , ,
  1. Tilan Dissanayake (Sri Lanka)
    November 30th, 2009 at 11:05 | #1

I hope avast! 5 as soon as possible with perfect features.
    And I wish good luck for alwil team.

2. jasper
    November 30th, 2009 at 12:44 | #2

Please make update without reboot, it is the only thing i don’t like in avast since early versions

3. Frank
    November 30th, 2009 at 14:14 | #3

@jasper

find me a single AV that doesnt reboot when a program update is done… lol ur statement is such a stupid request. for avast to update its services which are already running, it has to reboot ur system to be applied.

4. November 30th, 2009 at 14:20 | #4

Sandbox is an awesome new feature, I like how it feels! *——–*
    .. I’ll have to wait until January but I’m sure it will worth the wait, the new interface is very simple I like a lot!

I miss the little window that appear when we do a single left click in avast tray icon, it was good to show me what were the last thing scanned.. (I know I can see it by clicking in the different scan kinds but I would like to see them all together again, and the window was used to give me a quick way to change between low medium and high and pause the guard :/)

5. ramjade
    November 30th, 2009 at 16:22 | #5

Hi again.

I was hoping it will be release in December as my friend who is going to buy a laptop told me to set up his security for him. I wanted to put Avast! Free Antivirus v5 on his box. Now look like I have to ise another vendor as I am sure he can’t wait that long…

Anyway good news to hear that now we know when it is going to be release…

6. November 30th, 2009 at 16:48 | #6

@ramjade
    Ramjade, Use Avast V5 beta. It is a complete and excellent product–and better than V4.8 right now.

7. ramjade
    November 30th, 2009 at 17:04 | #7

@Vincent Steckler

I have a few question to ask :

1. Does Avast v5 prompt the user upon detection of malware for action?
    2. Is it safe to use a beta antivirus? I read somewhere that beta version especially antivirus can cause a computer to crash.
    3. If I were to use the beta version, does it automatically update itself once it is out of beta?
    4. Do I need to register a key for the beta version or after the beta version only I register the stable version?
    5. Could you please provide me the download link of Avast! Free Antivirus v5 beta?

Thanks.

8. November 30th, 2009 at 18:49 | #8

@ramjade
    1. You can set V5 up as to how you want it to handle detected malware–automatic or manual actions.
    2. V5 is quite mature and probably has more users than some paid products
    3. It will update to the general release product
    4. No key is needed for the beata
    5. Download from http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=51330.0

9. Chris
    November 30th, 2009 at 20:56 | #9

hello, all. I’m a visually impaired person who uses a screen reader to access your products. I used to disable the skins for the simple interphase. I just have installed the new beta, of avast. One question I have, can you guys add keyboard shortcuts or menu navigation? It would make things so much easier for me. Right now, with avast 5, its very hard to navigate around the program. Thanks for your time,
    Chris

10. oesis_qa
    November 30th, 2009 at 20:59 | #10

Hi,
    Where can I download the beta version of Avast! Pro Antivirus 5.
    Thanks

11. November 30th, 2009 at 20:59 | #11

I’ve noticed that the tray icon spin slowly (I mean less FPS)
    Is it going to get smoother in final? (I hope yes….)

12. November 30th, 2009 at 21:00 | #12

Chris :
    can you guys add keyboard shortcuts or menu navigation? It would make things so much easier.

13. The_Blinded
    November 30th, 2009 at 23:57 | #14

Nice work! I hope that Avast! 5 will be able to clean an infected computer better than version 4.8, because finding a virus is not sufficient.

14. spyork
    December 1st, 2009 at 00:50 | #15

Will there still be an edition of Avast 5 for Windows Home Server?

15. December 1st, 2009 at 02:12 | #16

Hmm…, longer than expected, but I personally will wait patiently for the best product ever :)

16. December 1st, 2009 at 05:03 | #17

Hi Vincent,

Nice article to be discussed,
    So far i am keep using avast 5 internet suite beta it’s quite good, and not make your PC/Notebook become slow like other competitor which come with full features but slowly your PC/Notebook performance.
    It was not a good protection if user not feel comfortable, but make you getting worse.

Hopefully in terms of price and performance, avast 5 could hit the market and satisfied avast 100,000,000 users.

Regards,
    Yanto Chiang

17. ramjade
    December 1st, 2009 at 06:09 | #18

@Vincent Steckler

Thanks.

Off topic. What about setting a store in South East Asia? I am from Malaysia. The only paid AV I see in stores are Kaspersky and Norton. Recently, I have seen Avira too.

18. Chim
    December 1st, 2009 at 18:08 | #19

What’s the Footprint Byte Size of both the Security Suite and the Avast! Free Antivirus? My old Celeron-based Windows XP computer only has 256 Meg of RAM. My immediate thought is that almost assuredly I have to go with only the Antivirus because having the entire Suite would probably be too much for my underpowered computer. It would probably slow things down if the Suite eats up much more RAM. I’m used to only having avast! 4.8 Home and the Windows XP Firewall anyway. And I’ve done OK. Of course, I do also run periodic SAS and MBAM Scans.

19. Chim
    December 1st, 2009 at 18:18 | #20

Okay, when Avast 5 is officially released, would the Upgrade consist of adding Program Code to the current 4.8? Or would it entail wiping out 4.8 and installing ALL NEW Avast 5 Code?

What I’m getting at is … I have VERY Slow AOL Dial Up. If the Upgrade from 4.8 to 5.0 is gonna consist of downloading TONSs of Code as in 10 … 20 … or 30 Meg of Data, then I’ll definitely have to go to my neighbors’ place and use their High Speed connection to download the entire Avast 5 Free Antivirus there and burn it onto a CD. Then I’d download it to my computer from the CD. Otherwise it would take HOURs to download the Upgrade on my Dial Up.

20. dr. robotnik
    December 1st, 2009 at 18:45 | #21

@ramjade
    well I am using the beta of avast 5 free already for a month now and it is just great…

21. December 2nd, 2009 at 00:03 | #22

its still not a clear answer but an answer with an escape route ;)
    im happy there is fast progress now tho

happy to see that v5 sees avast v4 installed and offers to remove it.

as a (paying) business user im still following the beta news for the free package with interrest, but i rather see also some notifications about progress on the ADNM version and the BART CD. In my opinion there is too little communication about this… In the user forum someone said it can take at least 6 months before there is an possible upgrade, which for me would be very bad because i probably have a complete new serverpark with only the latest MS technologies running which is not officially supported and this concerns me for the exchange 2010 protection.

but besides the informational struggle
    good luck on getting the new release out soon, the new interface is great now im used to it

22. Mike
    December 2nd, 2009 at 05:17 | #23

@Frank

DONE!!!! Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, NOD32 + Eset Smart Security Suite, AVAST 5, Avira, Microsoft Security Essentials, Norton Internet Security 2010, tec

23. Mike
    December 2nd, 2009 at 05:21 | #24

@Mike
    Disregard my reply, I misread frank’s comment. =P

24. Adam
    December 2nd, 2009 at 16:08 | #25

Chris :
    Chris

25. skokospa
    December 2nd, 2009 at 16:13 | #26

Hi Vincent
    I use avast pro.
    switch to avast “5 is” a free or will pay?

26. Carlos
    December 3rd, 2009 at 01:48 | #28

Hi Vicent, would like to know if there is some way of doing that avast 5! Put a note in the post office saying that the mail I clean this one, like it does nod32

Great job with avast! 5

27. unhappy
    December 3rd, 2009 at 07:24 | #29

Will Avast5 have fix for Win32:Delf-MZG false-positive?

Will it add ability to revert database back one level vs. disable?

forum.avast.com is crawling, twitter #avast is buzzing …
    When will new database be online?

28. Lex
    December 3rd, 2009 at 10:02 | #30

I hope you’ve killed the guy who published that database which crashed computers for almost 100 mln users.

29. Rodney
    December 3rd, 2009 at 10:12 | #31

WHat is the deal with avast blasting everything i have on my computer, earlier today, avast started acting up real bad, now i speak highly of Avast and it has always ran great along side with spy-bot, but avast started attacking spy-bot, whats the deal, did avast fix the problem because i know they know the problem exists, everyone computer that i fixed i recomended they buy it and they have, and they all called me this morning saying there computer is going bonkers deleting everything, Avast you are messing up my business, please fix this, im a proud Buyer of avast and will continue to use it, but right now i had to un-install it because it started atacking my family pictures, Please help

30. Rodney
    December 3rd, 2009 at 10:15 | #32

lol its going bonkers, i wish you could here the Avast wind chimes, take the guy who publish that thing out fishing one day in the middle of the sea, and throw his ass over bored, for the Sharks lol just dock his pay, my freinds business shut down today because of That mess, for real tho, punishment is to be expected, and i would like to hear what the out come will be- To Be Continued

31. Laperuz
    December 3rd, 2009 at 11:42 | #33

I think that avast! lost many users today…

32. December 3rd, 2009 at 12:02 | #34

Dear All,

Well, like wroten that “nobody is perfect in this world, except Him”

But at least from ALWIL has been released a new update.

33. Slekve
    December 3rd, 2009 at 13:04 | #35

A couple of questions:

1. Will there be support for Windows Home Server in v5?
    2. About Avast Pro, you say licensing-wise it will be available for 1 or 3 computers. Does this mean the Avast Family Pack (10 licenses + WHS) is discontinued?
    3. I am currently running Avast WHS trial + a mix of Pro trial and free on my computers – version 5 betas does not seem to be recognised in the WHS console. If the family pack is to be discontinued (speculation), it would probably be smart to buy it before the release of v5 since upgrades from v4.8 Pro to v5 Pro are free? How about cross upgrades from v4.8 Pro/Family Pack to v5 Internet Security suite? Will there be an affordable upgrade path for that? (i.e.if I have the WHS Family Pack = 10 v4.8 Pro licenses and wish to upgrade it to 10 v5 Internet Security suite licenses, will that be possible and affordable (affordable in as how much one family pack costs vs 10 separate Pro licenses)?

34. December 3rd, 2009 at 19:24 | #36

@oesis_qa
    We do not have a beta of Pro. IS is Pro with a firewall and anti-spam. Free AV is pro without the sandbox.

35. December 3rd, 2009 at 19:26 | #37

@Chim
    Hello Chim. I think you will need to go to your neighbors. It is a completely new install of about 35MB.

36. December 3rd, 2009 at 19:53 | #38

@Carlos
    Carlos, Mail Shield -> Expert settings -> Behavior page -> Insert note into clean messages

37. skokospa
    December 3rd, 2009 at 23:57 | #39

Thanks Vince@Vincent Steckler

38. Chim
    December 4th, 2009 at 17:27 | #40

Thanks, Vincent! I’ll download it at my neighbors then when the time comes.

39. Gus T
    December 5th, 2009 at 03:13 | #41

hi,i just wanted to ask,i m using avast version 5.0.259,so is it fully functional?i mean all the modules and shields work?are the virus definitions ready?is the automatic up date workin?i m asking because i certainly DONT want to surf the web with an antivirus that doesnt have all of its features yet.thanx in advance for your reply.

40. jadinolf
    December 5th, 2009 at 08:33 | #42

I am already using avast! Free Antivirus (V5) on two computers with no problems. I love exciting new programs and I’ve been waiting quite a while for this one.

Congrats to the gang at Alwil.

41. December 6th, 2009 at 14:13 | #43

This is definitely good news… I am excited with the features.

42. samad
    December 7th, 2009 at 01:03 | #44

Question – will Avast 5 have Rootkit detection like the current version? and what features will be removed in the free version compared to the current version? Thank You

43. cotty
    December 7th, 2009 at 08:29 | #45

How much smaller and faster is version 5 compared to 4.8?

44. Jake
    December 10th, 2009 at 06:59 | #46

Will Avast 5 still support windows 98 and 2000?

45. Vimal
    December 10th, 2009 at 12:17 | #47

I tried avast internet security v5 beta 3.I had a serious problem with it. Its like when i try to connect to internet (broadband), the system terminates and reboots itself before connecting.Is this any issue with the firewall. I am using win xp sp3. Can any one help me out of it?

46. o2cool3
    December 12th, 2009 at 04:37 | #48

I hope you the alwil software company give the avast 5 for those people who have the avast! 4.8 home edition for free and good luck.

47. jonathan
    December 13th, 2009 at 09:11 | #49

I hope with much anxiety, it will take a big step avast 5

48. December 13th, 2009 at 21:16 | #50

49. Alex
    December 14th, 2009 at 06:32 | #51

you guys are great i am truly thankful for your antivirus products you guys are a company that genuinely cares good look on your future ventures

1 2 710