July 20th, 2009

avast! 5 is coming… soon!

After a long time of keeping everything in secret, I’m glad that I can now disclose some preliminary information about the upcoming avast! version 5. The first thing to note is that the product is coming relatively soon. Namely, we’re currently planning to release it this October.

The product will be offered in three flavors: a free AV (that will supersede avast! 4.8 Home Edition), a paid AV (successor of avast! Professional Edition) and a full Internet Security suite. As usual, all customers (or users) with a valid avast! subscription will get a free upgrade to this new version.

The free AV will, of course, contain all the features from the existing Home Edition, plus a couple of new extras (I’ll be sharing more details on the blog as time goes by). The paid AV now includes a new virtualization module as well as all the features from the free AV and features previously exclusive to avast! 4.8 Pro. And finally, the suite adds an antispam and firewall module and will thus provide you with a complete, worry-free protection.

All three products will share the same antivirus engine (e.g. all of them will still have exactly same detection rates) that has been substantially improved and optimized. It may sound like a cliché, but it’s a fact: the new engine can detect more viruses, while actually consuming less resources.

The performance optimizations were not confined to the AV engine only; the program now uses various tricks to feel as light as possible and to not interfere with your work in any way. For example, we have radically improved the time it takes the computer to boot, making the slowdown imposed by avast! almost unnoticeable. I’ll be very interested in getting some feedback from you on this one (as soon as you get a chance to test it – please read on).

Starting with version 5, avast! now officially supports heuristics (proactive detection), although between me and you, many of the stuff has already been present in the previous versions – but we haven’t marketed it in any way. Also, detection of Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) has been added. Additionally, version 5 includes a new code emulator (or in fact, a dynamic translation module, to be technically correct) that will be of great help e.g. when unpacking malware samples packed/protected by unknown packers (as is the case pretty often).

All three products also feature a new user interface which has been completely redesigned for this new version. We’re abandoning the dual (simple vs. enhanced) UI model and replacing it with a single comfortable console, designed for both novice and experienced users. I’m attaching a couple of screenshots to give you an idea of what the product actually looks like.

File System Shield (formerly "Standard Shield")

File System Shield (formerly "Standard Shield")

File System Shield Settings

File System Shield Settings

Scan page

Scan page

Scan Settings

Scan Settings

Shield Statistics

Shield Statistics

Virus notification

Virus notification

Categories: Technology Tags:
  1. spg SCOTT
    July 20th, 2009 at 14:34 | #1

“The beta testing of avast! 5 will start in a couple of weeks (roughly by the end of July / beginning of August), so if you are interested to give it a try, please check back soon as I’ll be posting the details here on the blog as well as on our forums.”

Can’t Wait…:)

2. Jason
    July 21st, 2009 at 15:02 | #2

Looking forward to avast! 5 beta.

3. Leomin
    July 21st, 2009 at 15:28 | #3

like the new GUI!!

4. July 21st, 2009 at 17:50 | #4

Any news about the native x64 support?

5. mack
    July 21st, 2009 at 17:58 | #5

Wow… these screenshots look fabulous. And even statistics graph… wonder how memory use then again will be.

6. William
    July 21st, 2009 at 19:49 | #6

I want to try it. Finally avast! is going to get new air.

7. mathboyx215
    July 21st, 2009 at 21:18 | #7

Can’t wait.Been waiting for over 1 year.

8. Raj~
    July 21st, 2009 at 21:22 | #8

Great news! The GUI looks nice.
    I hope there will be firewall in FREE version aswell.

9. July 21st, 2009 at 22:02 | #9

although i don’t use it ,but i still think that’s great,at least the pretty ui.

10. Mario Vasquez
    July 22nd, 2009 at 03:36 | #10

Wow!!! This is great notice! The new UI is very beautiful, congratulations ALWIL, good gob! Can’t wait for october…

11. Jams
    July 22nd, 2009 at 04:36 | #11

Eagerly awaiting Avast 5, looks like a Major upgrade, Glad to see it will offer much better Malware detection/cleaning and unknowns.

12. July 22nd, 2009 at 09:44 | #12

l use the avast home. but l want to use the avast beta

13. Seba
    July 22nd, 2009 at 10:01 | #13

Hello.Już I can not wait! The Beta is now Install

14. noname
    July 22nd, 2009 at 13:04 | #14

I was surprised when I saw this topic. Thanks Alwil and please tell more about your products. Go to details and compare with the others AV products on the World. I think performance, detections etc. I expected Avast! 5 will a little look like Norton AV. Really good job! This changes is on the time.

15. noname
    July 22nd, 2009 at 13:06 | #15

Seba :
    Hello.Już I can not wait! The Beta is now Install

you cant install avast! 5 beta because beta version wasnt released. its will be the end of july or beginning august

16. dsfafwfwdfwqr
    July 22nd, 2009 at 13:47 | #16

I’M A CHINESE. I would like to ask whether there will be any Chinese version?

17. vlk
    July 22nd, 2009 at 13:55 | #17

Yes it is likely that Chinese will be one of the languages in which avast 5 will be available during the initial launch. Other languages available during the first wave include FIGS (French, Italian, German and Spanish).

18. noname
    July 22nd, 2009 at 17:17 | #18

vlk :

when will be Slovak and Czech language?

19. Leomin
    July 22nd, 2009 at 17:38 | #19

Hope for more destributors also :) with prices for users in the 3rd world
    really interested in the suit!

20. johlah
    July 22nd, 2009 at 19:12 | #20

Any news about Finnish language ?

21. igor
    July 22nd, 2009 at 19:38 | #21

noname :

when will be Slovak and Czech language?

The Czech version will be released in the first step, i.e. with the English release.
    As for Slovak, hard to say… I think it’s not really a priority (given the Czech version exists), so it may take a while (unless the management decides otherwise, of course ;) ).

johlah :Any news about Finnish language ?

Not at the moment. In a few weeks, I’ll be contacting the translators of avast! 4.x… so we’ll know more then.

22. Juninhoslo
    July 22nd, 2009 at 21:16 | #22

AVAST best AV EVER

23. Fernando
    July 22nd, 2009 at 23:15 | #23

cant wait for the new furtere like interface of avast & much better then any virus pro i know so far.

keep th ideas runnin

NanDo

24. July 22nd, 2009 at 23:44 | #24

amazing I can´t wait for the new avast!!

25. Helen
    July 22nd, 2009 at 23:49 | #25

KEEP Up the great work!!!!
    Did you say that you are also giving away Free Firewall with Free Home Avast??
    That would be wonderfull !!!!!! thanks again for CARING1111

26. Greg Nicholas
    July 22nd, 2009 at 23:52 | #26

Looking forward to new edition,though have found 4.8 to be better than competition.
    Good luck in future!!!!

27. July 23rd, 2009 at 00:11 | #27

thanks avast!!!, the best of the best!!

28. Tigerwolf
    July 23rd, 2009 at 00:21 | #28

I’m curious – Will the new Avast 5 be proactive against actual spyware, as well as the more traditional threats of viruses, trojans, etc? Personally I hated what AVG did with Version 8 – more like bloatware than an actual AV – but the idea was a good one, and a resource-light antivirus that also protects against the many kinds of antispyware out there as well, would certainly be an excellent product to have.

By the way, having seen the new interface, looks very userfriendly, which has always been something I like in security software. No point in having something incredibly powerful, if no-one knows how to work it.

Look forward to using Avast 5 in October, and thanks for all your hard work at protecting us! :)

29. Jim Berg
    July 23rd, 2009 at 00:27 | #29

Your product works so much better (and faster) than the subscription guys that if you improve boot speed you’ll have a real winner. My machine worked at the speed of a snail when I was using McaFee and Symantic. Been with you for several years keep up the great work.

30. July 23rd, 2009 at 00:40 | #30

im waiting avast 5 :) thats really lookin good!

31. nightshade
    July 23rd, 2009 at 00:45 | #31

I don’t see a mention about supporting operating systems, will windows 98 S.E be supported for the Avast 5 for virus detection only, if not I suppose it’s not worthwhile testing the beta?

32. Jill
    July 23rd, 2009 at 01:00 | #32

Ireland calling! I’m looking forward to Avast!5 too. why do I get so many mydoom virus on my new laptop?

33. scorpio_gurl
    July 23rd, 2009 at 01:05 | #33

I’m waiting for Avast 5. Awesome!!! N i can’t wait to test it!
    GOOD WORK AVAST!!! =)

34. BengaliPrince
    July 23rd, 2009 at 01:14 | #34

cant wait for this official version, and any estimates on how much ram n cpu it will require, hopefully it will requireless than the current requriements for avast 4, but anyways, GREAT GUI IT LOOKS SEXXY LOL, well it is WAYY BETTER than the current gui in the avast 4 versions, anyways gud luck to you

35. July 23rd, 2009 at 01:38 | #35

I would love to beta test Avast 5 as I have been a long term user of Avast. (mostly free user but still, I do recommend it frequently) Anyway, as for the new UI it looks great and -a vast- improvement on the UI of 4.8 HOWEVER, I would like to know if the new version will be skinnable or not?

36. William McCown
    July 23rd, 2009 at 01:41 | #36

I am looking forward to AVAST 5.0 in the form of the new Suite. Will it be Windows 7 compatible on October 22?

37. Pablo
    July 23rd, 2009 at 01:42 | #37

The new interface is just amazing.I sure the new antivirus engine will be even more powerfull than the actual. Avast is the best ever!!!

38. William McCown
    July 23rd, 2009 at 01:43 | #38

@William McCown
    Will you also provide more information about the new firewall in the blog in the near future?

39. nightshade
    July 23rd, 2009 at 01:44 | #39

@nightshade

I have just been informed that Avast 5 will NOT be supporting Windows 98, so my next question is will Avast 4.8 continue to run, and if so for what length of time?

40. nightshade
    July 23rd, 2009 at 01:48 | #40

Win98 still has many users. Believe it or not, it is very stable. It runs lots of useful software and legacy hardware that function just fine. it’s in jeopardy only because of wasteful planned obsolescence driven by MS to drive profits from replacement hardware and software that provide minor updates to existing Win98 functions. People are still writing drivers and porting new functions to it.

See: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=130936 and http://www.mdgx.com/spx/ to understand how active the Win98 users’ community still is.

41. July 23rd, 2009 at 01:51 | #41

I think this is one of the most curious this over the web, waiting the new version of Avast! Antivirus.

42. nightshade
    July 23rd, 2009 at 01:51 | #42

nightshade :
    @nightshade

43. nightshade
    July 23rd, 2009 at 01:51 | #43

44. nightshade
    July 23rd, 2009 at 01:54 | #44

what is going on here.

45. Whitewolf
    July 23rd, 2009 at 01:55 | #45

I have been an Avast user for the last 3 years now and am perfectly happy with the way it works, even on the new computer that is running 64 bit with no problems. I look forward to seeing the new Avast 5 and hope that it will continue to be as good if not better than the 4.8 that I have now. Wonderful work and thank you for keeping so many users safe and secure. If possible as I run a 64 bit system, I would like to test run the new version and see what it does. Love the new IF as it looks simple, uncluttered yet efficient. Great work on that as well. Keep up the great work and I will keep using Avast for as long as I can use computers.

46. nightshade
    July 23rd, 2009 at 01:55 | #46

Cant enter a comment now, this is useless!

47. nightshade
    July 23rd, 2009 at 01:56 | #47

nightshade :
    @nightshade

Is this working?

48. nightshade
    July 23rd, 2009 at 02:00 | #48

It looks like the refresh button isn’t refreshing the page, but clicking again on the favourite brings up any new comments, so I apologise for the last few is it working posts.

49. nightshade
    July 23rd, 2009 at 02:02 | #49

Seems its a refresh page problem.

50. Jeanine Farris
    July 23rd, 2009 at 02:18 | #50

I love you guys and totally rely on your program. I have used it since my first year of computing, a few years ago..5 or 6, and don’t want to change ever. Thank you from the bottom of my old heart. Great grandmas need security blankets too!

1 2 3 7 354